Wu Gongyi vs. Chen Kefu

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wu Gongyi vs. Chen Kefu

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Dr. Yan asked me to put this photo up:

ImageImage

This is a photo of the famous match between Wu Gongyi and Chen Kefu.
edededed
Great Old One

Re: Wu Gongyi vs. Chen Kefu

Postby stephen yan on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Tom , i tried before , not successful , i will learn in the future .

the left was wu gong yi .

cheers
stephen yan
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Stephen:

This fight has been discussed ad infinitum on EF, but I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

My personal opinion was that these two came up in an era when there were few fora in which Chinese fighters could actually fight, and their lack of experience is reflected in their non-commital and largely ineffective moves; neither seems to be moving into the range where their arts (Taiji especially) would be maximally effective. And of course, the judging was a joke ("Good God, a nosebleed! Stop the match!" No wonder the crowd almost rioted)

Given this, and given the experience of the Hong Kong CMA Association (which DID fight against Thai boxers, twice, in the 1970s, and were trounced on both occasions.) I wonder what you think of the modern leitei trends:
The SEAsian leitai championships of the 1970s and 1980s (as you know Cheng Tin-hung's school did very well in these)
Modern sanda on the mainland

Are the events/fighting formats above good ("At last! CMA is actually producing fighters!") or bad ("This is not CMA, it is just kickboxing!")
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 pm

YM:

Terrific resource, many thanks! Will have an in-depth look later.

For those who have not clicked the link...it is to a 31-page, exhaustively researched article on the famous/infamous fight and all the surrounding context.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Possibly this is the fight alluded to.

Last edited by klonk on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:44 pm

klonk wrote:Possibly this is the fight alluded to.

Yes, it is...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 am

Tom wrote:Ed:

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Dr. Yan put up his own photos? It's not that difficult.

Also, when you do put up photos for him, it would be nice to have some context as to why the photo is being shown (just a thought).

Thanks.

Well, it IS pretty simple to do (for us)... but then again, my dad can't do it, either, so I can't blame him, either... ;)

In general, I put up whatever context I have, fix up some grammar/spelling, and that's mostly it (I add just a bit if I have anything interesting to add). :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:04 am

edededed wrote:Dr. Yan asked me to put this photo up:

ImageImage

I'm just waiting for somebody to say that's Yang Cheng-Fu in the picture.... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 am

Whoops, sorry - Dr. Yan wanted me to put the photo in the Taijiquan Group Picture thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2082

You can ignore this thread now. :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:12 am

edededed wrote:
Tom wrote:Ed:

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Dr. Yan put up his own photos? It's not that difficult.

Also, when you do put up photos for him, it would be nice to have some context as to why the photo is being shown (just a thought).

Thanks.

Well, it IS pretty simple to do (for us)... but then again, my dad can't do it, either, so I can't blame him, either... ;)

In general, I put up whatever context I have, fix up some grammar/spelling, and that's mostly it (I add just a bit if I have anything interesting to add). :)

If he can send it to you via email, it shouldn't be a problem to upload it somewhere. It's very similar and in no way more complicated.
It has a certain quality to let people post a picture for you or letting people type for you, which is constantly mentioned ::)

My 2 €uro-cents
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 am

GrahamB wrote:
edededed wrote:Dr. Yan asked me to put this photo up:

ImageImage

I'm just waiting for somebody to say that's Yang Cheng-Fu in the picture.... ;D

Good eye Graham. It's definately him.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:23 am

LOL ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 am

cdobe wrote:If he can send it to you via email, it shouldn't be a problem to upload it somewhere. It's very similar and in no way more complicated.
It has a certain quality to let people post a picture for you or letting people type for you, which is constantly mentioned ::)

My 2 €uro-cents

Oh, come now, of course this kind of thing is simple for us Net-dorks, but then again, our Net-fu is high :D I know my parents often mess up their e-mail to me (they think they sent it but they didn't, they think they attached something but they didn't, they thought they wrote in the body but they wrote everything in the title, etc....).

(I used to type Korean for my dad before... I don't speak Korean so well, but I can type in Korean better than he can!)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 am

cdobe wrote:
Tom wrote:Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Dr. Yan put up his own photos? It's not that difficult.

Indeed! ::)

Is learning how to post photos online or using an English dictionary really more difficult than researching obscure historical data or learning rare gung-fu form sets? Hmmm....???

Doc ;)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan