Wu Gongyi vs. Chen Kefu

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wu Gongyi vs. Chen Kefu

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:12 am

stephen yan wrote:wu tai ji good fighter was master WU TONG( 吴桐)。wu tong(1889-1963)was GREAT MASTER WU JIAN QUAN'S disciple , he was a HUI minority.in late 1920's , he went to nanjing to participate 1st china national kung fu competition.when he fight with a kung fu master , he led the guy forward and kicked his heel on the guy's top of the head , took a big piece of skin off the guy's skull, the guy was passed out , few days later died . wu tong worried the guy's family and martial arts brothers would take revenge, so he escaped to mongulia , otherwise if he stayed to end of competition , he could be one of the top winners.

master ma told me that he was on the site when wu tong fought the opponent.

With all due respect for Ma's opinion, as reported by you, and for the guy that fought and that you mention I am afraid that if that video was on youtube we wouldn't be saying very different things than our 'disappointment' about the Wu/Chen "fight".
Having read the old articles about the fight and having spoken to some old people who were in Macau for that fight BEFORE I later saw the video I am quite convinced about what I am saying.

We always perceive things throu the filters we have created with our life/experiences, that's why we deeply believe that our kids are the most beautiful on earth :)

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby shenme on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Yuen-Ming wrote:
stephen yan wrote:wu tai ji good fighter was master WU TONG( 吴桐)。wu tong(1889-1963)was GREAT MASTER WU JIAN QUAN'S disciple , he was a HUI minority.in late 1920's , he went to nanjing to participate 1st china national kung fu competition.when he fight with a kung fu master , he led the guy forward and kicked his heel on the guy's top of the head , took a big piece of skin off the guy's skull, the guy was passed out , few days later died . wu tong worried the guy's family and martial arts brothers would take revenge, so he escaped to mongulia , otherwise if he stayed to end of competition , he could be one of the top winners.

master ma told me that he was on the site when wu tong fought the opponent.

With all due respect for Ma's opinion, as reported by you, and for the guy that fought and that you mention I am afraid that if that video was on youtube we wouldn't be saying very different things than our 'disappointment' about the Wu/Chen "fight".
Having read the old articles about the fight and having spoken to some old people who were in Macau for that fight BEFORE I later saw the video I am quite convinced about what I am saying.

We always perceive things throu the filters we have created with our life/experiences, that's why we deeply believe that our kids are the most beautiful on earth :)

YM

The guy doing taiji at the beginning of the video is Tung Ying Chieh who was my Sifu's Sifu. And my Sifu was there to watch that fight he said it was billed much like a prize fight and many expected better things but it just turned into a street brawl with no show of any martial training at all and many were rather upset they bothered to go see it at all in the end the audience was booing and some were throwing things. Also many in the MA world in that area at that time could not understand why the younger Wu did not fight instead. Or at least that is what my Sifu has told me about that fight.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby Andy_S on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 am

Interesting that the fight - a very pedestrian affair - had such a big build up and became so legendary. This was in the days before TV (or even many cineman screens, I would imagine) in HK and Macau, and the papers were full of it for months afterward. The author of the article even makes the point that it kickstarted a number of serialized gongfu novels (written by laymen).

Now was have seen the film...we know better.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am

Andy_S wrote:This was in the days before TV (or even many cineman screens, I would imagine) in HK and Macau, and the papers were full of it for months afterward.

Even with TV and cinemas, the papers were still full of Edison Chen's pixelated carrot and onions for months, as recent as early this year, so I don't think we've come too far in that respect.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:38 am

This is the first time I have ever seen a good discussion about this video. Thanks guys.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan