Qi Gong vs Yoga???

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Qi Gong vs Yoga???

Postby Waterway on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:07 am

Apologies for the title of the thread, but I couldn't think of a better name.

I was at a Taijiquan sword class and we were taking a break. I noticed a sign on the door for a yoga class. My teacher's first name was the same as the guy who was the point of contact for the yoga. I half-jokingly said to my teacher "Oh, you branching out in to Yoga?"

He laughed and said no, it was a different guy. He said he didn't much see the point in doing yoga, as he thought that any benefit that could be gained from yoga would also be gained from Qi Gong (and then some).

I have studied a little yoga, and no Qi Gong. So I nodded politely and said nothing.

I was just wondering, what do other people make of this statement i.e. that Qi Gong has much the same benefits, if not more, than yoga? My instructor was talking to me particularly about the colour and sound energies used in Qi gong when compared to those of yoga.

Just thought it would be an interesting subject to bring up!
Waterway
Anjing

Re: Qi Gong vs Yoga???

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 am

They are both good methodologies.

More hot chicks at the yoga class though. ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 am

mix is demonstrating the asanas of t3h corr3ct
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby king-kong on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Maybe your teacher is referring to prana, reverse breathing and the retention of breath. Though there are some similariites circulation and movement of energy chi. hara- dantien. Sitting standing meditation, Yoga is different in it´s focus on static postures, asanas and stretching, increasing flexibility, elasticity and balance,
Doesn´t mantra count as sound energies and there are other esoteric practices in kundalini that also work with colour. What QI gong practices are you referring to? Yeah mix right about the girls, in my yoga class sometimes very distracting! ;)
Last edited by king-kong on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
king-kong
Mingjing

Postby Ron Panunto on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Qigong is often referred to as Taoist yoga.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:42 pm

If you've been studying taijiquan, you've already been studying qigong.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:23 am

I think Yoga is better in the strength and flexibility department as well as the hot chick department. I know in my area its a lot easier to find a good yoga teacher than a good qigong teacher too. As far as the mental/spiritual benefits I think there are lots of ways to get those with some variation in specifics. Personal preference is the key there IMO.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:59 am

Kryia yoga is very the same to qi gong alchemy and certain levels of zen meditation.
But Buddhist zen is complete and kryia yoga more detailed for beginner and qi gong easier going at the beginning.

There is some truth in falungong, which makes hard for others to discern, but one pitfall ruin the whole.

Personally I stay away from anything energy and supernatural and just focus on lotus sit and zz. Simple thing is the best, complexity fuck up your brain, big time.
Last edited by Overlord on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan