Share your training experience

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Share your training experience

Postby JuanM on Sun May 18, 2008 10:32 pm

There's a few of us here trining for some up coming fights. Let's use this thread to share our experiences leading up to those fights.

As for me, my fight is coming up in in June 14th. Let me say that the reality of the fight has definitely set in as my trainer is really turning up the training. My body feels tired and beat up most of the time. I've been doubling up on classes on Saturdays and Mondays and going to the late class on Wednesdays. On my days off from the gym I'm working on my cardio by running and doing jump rope. I also work on my core strength by doing a bunch of crunches, pull ups, push ups, and doing some light weight lifting.

Kru Santi is now watching me closely when I'm working the Thai Pads and sparring which means I gotta go 100% every time which is a killer. It's really cool to have so much personal instruction but at the same time it is very difficult to keep up. I've also been sparring with some of the better guys in the gym and just been geting rocked. Lastly, I noticed that on the Thai Pads Kru Santi has be working on really basic combos and told me that I should rely on technique rather than speed. ;D

How's everyone elses training going?
JuanM
Great Old One

Re: Share your training experience

Postby JuanM on Mon May 19, 2008 3:04 pm

F@CK ME! I broke my nose again while sparring in class today. This sucks because now I can't fight next month. =( And because of other things happening in the next few months I probably won't be able to fight for a while. This shit is heart breaking because I've been really training hard.

Please no jokes, I know I am an idiot for not keeping my guard up. I know I suck. =(
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon May 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Don't be too down on yourself dude. In a way its a good lesson to learn.

Also you can only get better if you have more time to get ready for your next fight. Just use the time to prepare as best you can.

All the best
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 19, 2008 3:16 pm

^^ what he said. 8-)
Hang in there man; it's all for the best.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 pm

JuanM wrote:F@CK ME! I broke my nose again while sparring in class today. This sucks because now I can't fight next month. =( And because of other things happening in the next few months I probably won't be able to fight for a while. This shit is heart breaking because I've been really training hard.

Please no jokes, I know I am an idiot for not keeping my guard up. I know I suck. =(

failure leads to success.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. Man, you don't know how disappointing this is. I really wanted to fight next month. =(
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm

That's tough luck. I know you don't like the birdcage headgear, but with what, two recent breaks? --your schnoz will thank you in the long run if you wear the birdcage for a while.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

JuanM wrote:F@CK ME! I broke my nose again while sparring in class today. This sucks because now I can't fight next month. =( And because of other things happening in the next few months I probably won't be able to fight for a while. This shit is heart breaking because I've been really training hard.

why don't you wear some kind of full face headgear to keep your shnozzle safe chato?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Mon May 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Yeah, I'm going to look for a better head gear tho. I really don't like the one I have. There has to be something better in the market that allows for better vision. Here's a pic of the damage.

Am I pretty?
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon May 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Dude! It looks just like somebody punched you in the nose!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Man up Galo!! You have been posting constantly about diet, training hard, exploring your styles. Are you going to let one problem get you down after working so hard?

This isn't a set back. Its just a chance to refine your game even more man! If you really want it, you'll find a way to fight a few more times sooner, maybe not as soon as you want but there is no rush. You can only stand to improve, so take the lesson on how you keep getting it broken, and you'll be all the better off when you get in the ring and wreck people's shit ;D

Keep us updated on things Galo, see if you can't work something out with maybe getting it set sooner and getting around it, and if you can't just keep plugging away and maintain your stuff. Don't lose heart over one seemingly big bump in the road!
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon May 19, 2008 7:07 pm

JuanM wrote:Yeah, I'm going to look for a better head gear tho. I really don't like the one I have. There has to be something better in the market that allows for better vision. Here's a pic of the damage.

Am I pretty?

dude--you look hella -joint-
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby SitYodTong on Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Honestly, wear the face gear...especially if you don't plan on taking 6-8 weeks off from sparring. It's really easy to re-break your nose if you go back too soon.

Were you guys wearing 16oz. gloves?
SitYodTong
Santi

Postby JuanM on Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Hey SYT,

I think we were wearing 14 oz gloves. At least that's the pair that I own. Pretty sure that's what he had too. The dude was much bigger then me tho and outweighed me by about 20 lbs, maybe more.

Yeah, lesson f'ing learned. As much as I hate the face gear Ima wear it from now on.

peace.

BTW I picked up the Fight! mag with an article on your gym. Are you in any of the pics?
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon May 19, 2008 10:22 pm

JuanM wrote:Yeah, I'm going to look for a better head gear tho. I really don't like the one I have. There has to be something better in the market that allows for better vision. Here's a pic of the damage.

Am I pretty?

whats a fighter with out a crooked nose -box-

"i'm pretty! i'am a baaaaaad man"
ali
bruce
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan