Some of my doubts about Xing Yi...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Some of my doubts about Xing Yi...

Postby TommyLee on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 am

For an year now (more or less) I am practising (with more pauses than practise ::) ) Xing Yi. 5 elemen fist that is. So, few weeks I came back to practicing after few month puse (due to moving to another city), and realized that I did not sew that I was just doing regular 5 elements or addvancing step. Since I am travel by train to work I have time to read (Andrea Falk and Di Guoyong's book) and I saw that all of moves can be done in retreating and sidestep version.
Since Since this still confuses me (mostly that sidsteep move .eg. Dodging Pi quan). So ai am asking maybe you know where I can study that in more detail.
TommyLee
Santi

Re: Some of my doubts about Xing Yi...

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:24 am

your spelling is really awful, first take an english grammar course then practice xing yi.

Different schools do different variations on wu xing, there is in fact no "regular five elements" just variations upon a theme. You don't need to concern yourself too much with this. Wu Xing is a means to an ends. I say practice what you know regularly, see a good teacher and go from there.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:47 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:your spelling is really awful, first take an english grammar course then practice xing yi.

И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:50 am

Paul, english might be his fourth language....take it easy on him. ;)

Tommy, just keep doing what you do, the standard regular wuxing, and when you own it you can step in any way you want. Of course, if you do this "with more pauses than practice"...well....you reap what you sow.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:01 am

The "right" way to do something can often be clouded by ignorance and lack of personal experiance. Find the right way for you. If you want to move in straight lines - perpendicular lines - backwards and forewards - circling - stuttering etc.. etc.. the worst that can happen is you open your own mind to different possibilities. Have fun and explore - do some sparring and think just like your thinking now.
Innovation and digging deep is the crux of learning - and be very wary of who you take advice from...
including me ;D
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:
Pandrews1982 wrote:your spelling is really awful, first take an english grammar course then practice xing yi.

lawl!

sorry... 'lol'.
Ian

Postby Felipe Bidó on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:51 am

Tommy. Practice more or find someone that leads you in the right way.

If you are reading the books, don't think too much about the variations. Take the first form taught of each element (that is usually the basic one), and that's the one you should do and ask about. Ther others, leave them for later when you have more experience.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby nianfong on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:00 am

it's pretty easy to understand how to do the fists backwards or sidestepping. simply use the same coordination with the feet from stepping forward. so normally a beng quan would be:
step forward punch
follow step rear foot

backwards it would be:
step back punch
follow step front foot

basically very similar to the "black tiger comes out of cave" that is usually done to close the beng quan form.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

nianfong wrote:it's pretty easy to understand how to do the fists backwards or sidestepping. simply use the same coordination with the feet from stepping forward. so normally a beng quan would be:
step forward punch
follow step rear foot

backwards it would be:
step back punch
follow step front foot

basically very similar to the "black tiger comes out of cave" that is usually done to close the beng quan form.

You can say that again! ;D
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 pm

I nominate Pandrews for Xenophobe of the year. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby shock and awe on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:21 pm

i dont understand why this is a "doubt" i think the word should be trouble(s)...i second that maybe you just need someone to show you.
shock and awe

Postby TommyLee on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:31 pm

My apologies for my spelling first. I am from Croatia, and most of my school years I had d's in English. ;D
Well you will survive especially that Pandrews... ::)
I managed to catch up from yesterday and practiced Pi and Pao Chuan with backward footwork and reverse stance. I actually have friend who practice Xing Yi for several years now, and occasionally I practice with him, but he has no too much free time recently, so I am on my own. There are one Chinese Shi Fu here who teaches Xing Yi, but last I hear he refuses to teach Xing Yi anymore. :-\ I do not know why. :'(

Ah well, I just might ask him again...Maybe sound of money will change his mind... ;D
TommyLee
Santi

Postby edededed on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Just practice what you learned already.

(The sound of money does do that - the more, the better :) )
edededed
Great Old One

Postby TommyLee on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 am

I am not in hurry anyway. And I slowly learning variations.

Do you have some routine when you training.

Warm up, stretching, post standing, then practice, maybe meditation at the end? :D
TommyLee
Santi

Postby Pandrews1982 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 am

appologies for the spelling jibe, i was too quick to judge, i assumed you were a 14 year old MMA troll...my bad. :) I can't speak any other foriegn language so you've got one up on me.

Anyway I don't have a routine, do what i need to work on, make sure my beginners are practicing correctly. Big focus on basics and doing basics correctly. No warm up, no stretches, no specific "mediation", the practice itself is like mediation.

I think you should give the teacher another try, persistence unlocks many doors and is often the key to showing a teacher you are serious about training with them. If you are on your own it will be a difficult task to learn XIng Yi to a good standard with depth of knowledge, it might be better to look for other good teachers in other styles
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan