Destreza ( western circular fencing)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Destreza ( western circular fencing)

Postby edededed on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:35 am

Well, I do think that at a very basic level, destreza may be similar to baguajian (in terms of moving out of the way and finding a new angle to attack), but the weapons are quite different (baguajian is thicker, longer, heavier, but not well-suited for blocking). Some unique movements in baguajian as well (not sure if destreza does the overturn-type movement); the large sword size also makes swinging the sword around more like swinging yourself around the sword.

However, what I know is very limited right now - mebbe ask me a few years later ;)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:11 am

Thanks for your reply! And by the way, why are bagua weapons always twice natural size? :)

The blade-touch sensitivity aspects of Destreza make me think some CMA concepts are similar! Some fencers, and I think the Old Spanish school strives for this, make of the sword a sensitive antenna.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:45 am

not sure if destreza does the overturn-type movement

It's rare to see, but exists. We call it "torneada" . 6:59 .It's a good defense against disarms. Our master appears ar 3:39-5:00 and 5:45-end

http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid= ... 2330&hl=es

http://www.fotosupload.com/mostrar.php? ... _bagua.jpg

We use a very similar action, diversión with circular step

http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid= ... 2651576206

Nice cut at 0:29 .It's a thrust with diagonal step converted into atajo transferido + cut
Last edited by jaime_g on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby edededed on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 am

Sorry - by "overturn" I meant a kind of movement where you twist and move your own body under the sword (many videos on the net of this, just check YouTube). Can't check the videos now, but will look later...

As for the big size of many bagua weapons - I think bagua people just like to train lots of gong (power)... But bagua just has a lot of weird weapons - they all seem to be either double normal size or else just strange (extra points/edges, etc.).
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan