Sam Tam demonstrating form

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sam Tam demonstrating form

Postby richardman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25 pm

I will just give one example. Imagine you are facing a 400 pounds, 6'4" or so guy. Now, I am sure some of you could muscle or throw him around, but can you do it so gently that it is like a leaf flying off the branch, and if you ask him "is it soft" and he would say "yes"? That's the power of the soft skills.
richardman
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 am

wayne hansen wrote:Form and pushing do not seperate
What is seen in form is there in pushing

+1
Very well said. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:48 pm

When I met Sam Tam in Tokyo back in 2005 I was extremely impressed with his push hands skills, but I thought his taiji form *looked* horrible.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:51 pm

Also Wayne, for those of us who don't know taiji or IMA as well as some of you lot, could you mention a couple of moments in the video when you see him being double weighted? (I'm still trying to work out what that term means)
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:07 am

Only one spot but I'm still waiting to see if anyone else picks it up
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
Separate the qi from the movement

Tasty did say the above in the original OP and I could see a lot of what I consider internal just housed in a strange form expression. :)
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:09 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Only one spot but I'm still waiting to see if anyone else picks it up

If I was to criticise his form it would be the girly leg at about 3.07 in stork cools its wings. What a hoot. ;D
willywrong

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:36 pm

willywrong wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:
Separate the qi from the movement

Tasty did say the above in the original OP and I could see a lot of what I consider internal just housed in a strange form expression. :)

Yes, like you and I-mon say, the form is strange looking. But as you can see, the form is not what's important.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 pm

This is the guy who can kill you with one touch, right?
Ian

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Ian wrote:This is the guy who can kill you with one touch, right?

It may take more than one touch.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Sam's father was a doctor in the Chinese armed forces in the 1940's-50's and he arranged for Sam to receive instruction from high level military martial arts teachers including Lau Fat Mang (Eagle Claw), Han Xingyuan (Yiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang), Yu Pengxi (Yiquan), Chang Dongshen (Shuaijiao), and Zhang Xiang Wu (Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang).
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
willywrong wrote:Separate the qi from the movement

Tasty did say the above in the original OP and I could see a lot of what I consider internal just housed in a strange form expression. :)[/quote]

Yes, like you and I-mon say, the form is strange looking.
But as you can see, the form is not what's important
.[/quote]

Yes but think of how powerful it would be if it was done in a form with stricter parameters. ;)
willywrong

Postby amor on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:11 am

Taste of Death wrote:
Yes, like you and I-mon say, the form is strange looking. But as you can see, the form is not what's important.

I quite like his form. Obviously it's not going to 'flow' because he is demonstrating for his students but his posture looks solid for a guy his age and the movements of arms and legs all appear to co-ordinate and come from the center. His form looks more medium-ish frame.
amor
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:59 am

amor wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:

I quite like his form. Obviously it's not going to 'flow' because he is demonstrating for his students but his posture looks solid for a guy his age and the movements of arms and legs all appear to co-ordinate and come from the center. His form looks more medium-ish frame.

+1
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby slowEdie on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am

Tasty wrote
Sam's father was a doctor in the Chinese armed forces in the 1940's-50's and he arranged for Sam to receive instruction from high level military martial arts teachers including Lau Fat Mang (Eagle Claw), Han Xingyuan (Yiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang), Yu Pengxi (Yiquan), Chang Dongshen (Shuaijiao), and Zhang Xiang Wu (Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang).

Seems he also was a student of Dr. chi chiang-tao tai chi who was student of CMC........
The book "Masters of Perception" is about his teachings and the last chapter of "The Tao of Yiquan" is devoted to his teachings ......

Enlightened Transmission
Master Tam began his teaching in the San Francisco Bay Area, but soon he was
conducting workshops and retreats in the United States, Europe, the Middle East
and Asia. As his reputation spread worldwide, it became his turn not only to carry
on the tradition of shifu, but also to become recognized as one of the world’s
greatest authorities on the internal martial arts.
As part and parcel of this reality, a steady and increasing stream of visitors from all
over the world has come knocking at his door, seeking individual training, instruction
and counseling. Many, if not most, of these visitors are already teachers of martial
arts and in fact come to Master Tam to learn his style with the intent of teaching it.
Though he has not sought out this recognition, the process has made Master Tam
a de facto “teacher of teachers.” In Chinese, there is a term for this: dashi (大師),
an honorific bestowed strictly on the basis of skill and actual achievement. Da
meaning “big” and “shi” meaning “teacher”, dashi (大師) literally means “Big
Teacher.” The dashi is a purveyor of enlightenment, sought out by other teachers
who desire to receive the deepest knowledge and acquire the most refined skills.

Masters of Perception -pg 165
slowEdie
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan