Sam Tam demonstrating form

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sam Tam demonstrating form

Postby richardman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:14 pm

It's not just irrelevant, it's also incorrect.
richardman
Mingjing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Taste of Death wrote:There is not a single person on this forum in a position to criticize Sam.

yeniseri, go to one of his seminars and post the footage of you trying to move him. Good luck.

I've been to his seminar, he's got some good stuff, but I wouldn't go as far as "not a single person on this forum"

There are a lot of people on this forum whom you haven't tried to move, TOD.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby slowEdie on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 pm

The signatures of the form is to teach Sinking the Qi and Shifting the Weight. Teachers take their students to see Sifu in these seminars. In this way, the students can see the Gold Standard.

Agreed
slowEdie
Anjing

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm

I thought the movement was lovely.

But, I find TOD's claims about his teacher to be in the same vein as those about his system: exaggerated to the point of delusion.

Still, as I said, very nice movement and I would absolutely pay to attend a seminar sometime. Looks like I will be in Davis over the summer while switching grad programs so maybe if he does one in Sac then?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm

You touch him TOD I think it is more your thing
Form and pushing do not seperate
What is seen in form is there in pushing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Last edited by Taste of Death on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Last edited by Taste of Death on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Haha... Yer funny.
Ain't going there.

I'll just repeat this: "There are a lot of people on this forum whom you haven't tried to move." -- that was my main point. If you believe he is "above" everyone who posts here, that's your choice.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:00 pm

I believe that Sam Tam is the best teacher you have ever worked with. That is probably all you can comment on. ;)

As I said, I think he looks good. Is he going to kick my ass, let alone someone who is a professional martial artist in their prime? I really doubt it. Anyway, that is irrelevant, as I would never show up with that sort of attitude. It looks like he has some good stuff to share. You just seem to have put him on a golden pedestal.

I'm not interested in what you guys do (I-chuan or Wing Chun), but I appreciate the invite.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby richardman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Let's just say that Sifu is not putting this video up. He doesn't need to advertise. I think some videos are now surfacing because he wants to support his students. So by all mean, go meet with some of his students and see for yourself ;D
richardman
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm

richardman wrote:Let's just say that Sifu is not putting this video up. He doesn't need to advertise. I think some videos are now surfacing because he wants to support his students. So by all mean, go meet with some of his students and see for yourself ;D

Do you or TOD feel that you have any of the qualities that you feel your teacher represents?
Both of you have yet to say what others should see or feel.
What did or do you feel is his unique skill set?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby richardman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

windwalker wrote:Do you or TOD feel that you have any of the qualities that you feel your teacher represents?
Both of you have yet to say what others should see or feel.
What did or do you feel is his unique skill set?

His yielding skills is exactly as the Classics say. No one can land on him, and this includes big guys, street fighter guys (I think there are a couple from Sacramento), big Russian guys, Japanese Judoka, "soft" people, Wing Chun people, etc. By "landing", it means that you can touch him, but there is no way you can apply force. There is nothing to apply force to. He also excels in Yiquan, so his power is immense. Lets not even talk about the Qin na skills. I forgot his handle here, but "little john" from the East Coast or something on this board studied from Sifu's Yiquan gong fu junior. Fong Ha is his junior as well.

He's actually not doing much seminar at all now. There are a small number of video his Danish student put out, and some mention in Jan's book.

As for me? I am a Silicon Valley geek :-)
richardman
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Sounds like a good teacher,

I think if people question his form play it might be better to help others understand the why
by those who study with him or have studied with him.

For those commenting negatively it might help to include some commentary
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
yeniseri wrote:The fellow is a wonderful human being but the form is terrible! This should not mean that anyone seeing value in intcannot see it as a reflection of what they are accustomed to, and what they are looking for! The form is too slow 8-) If an observant eye sees it as valuable, then it is ???

There is not a single person on this forum in a position to criticize Sam.

yeniseri, go to one of his seminars and post the footage of you trying to move him. Good luck.

I gave my honest opinion and that was not meant to discourage, prevent or otherwise deny anyone the priviledge of training with so well known Master Sam Tam. You hold me up to a standard that I never will possess and I am incapable of i.e. my word is God therefore that is the only one that counts! I beez not like that! ???
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby richardman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Regarding the form being slow, here's a little thing: do you Yang style SIngle Whip. Make sure your form is "perfect", e.g. front knee does not protrude the toe etc. Now lift your back foot, while your upper body does not move / wobble, and oh yes, go ahead and recite your grocery list ;-D
richardman
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan