Your Favourite Taiji Throws?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Your Favourite Taiji Throws?

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

In the last several years I've focused on striking. I believe that learning proper distance and timing is critical to being a well-rounded fighter and that, if you can control the fight from a striking range, adding kicks and throws is the next logical step. I'm also tall and fairly thin, so striking comes to me more naturally. Now that I feel like my striking skills have reached a decent level, and since I was already good at kicking to begin with, I'd like to work more on throwing. Currently, I am good at just several throws and fairly decent at avoiding take-downs.

When I move back to Guilin in just over a month I'll have the chance to work on my Shuaifa more, so I'm curious as to what throws from Taijiquan's massive catalogue (some of which many may not even know are throws just by doing the forms) you like most. I'm limiting it to Taijiquan because that's what I learned before. When I go back to my master I'll be learning throws from the various systems that he knows. I know that a lot of you focus on Shuaifa, so I'd appreciate it if you could make a short list and include the Chinese characters, if you can. Gratitude! ;D
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Your Favourite Taiji Throws?

Postby middleway on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 am

I dont think i know many Tai Chi Throws per say (although i have learnt alot of them). The approach i always follow in throwing is to aim to apply 3 principles when the opportunity arises. This produces limitless throwing 'techniques'.

I call them the 3 pillars of throwing or taking down.

1) Manipulate the structure
2) Lead off balance.
3) Remove points of support.

These three concepts, individually or in any number of combinations be that simultanious or as a cascade, produce all throws or take downs. Having trained quite alot of Judo, BJJ, Cheng Ba gua and Taichi i have yet to find a throw that doesnt fit this model.

Maybe this could be a good approach to take as I have found it flows very nicely with striking work.

Just a thought, appologies if slightly off topic with regards to specificity.

thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 am

stand on his foot

don't know any Chinese characters for that one
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 am

middleway wrote:I dont think i know many Tai Chi Throws per say (although i have learnt alot of them). The approach i always follow in throwing is to aim to apply 3 principles when the opportunity arises. This produces limitless throwing 'techniques'.

I call them the 3 pillars of throwing or taking down.

1) Manipulate the structure
2) Lead off balance.
3) Remove points of support.

These three concepts, individually or in any number of combinations be that simultanious or as a cascade, produce all throws or take downs. Having trained quite alot of Judo, BJJ, Cheng Ba gua and Taichi i have yet to find a throw that doesnt fit this model.

Maybe this could be a good approach to take as I have found it flows very nicely with striking work.

Just a thought, appologies if slightly off topic with regards to specificity.

thanks.

Although not the answer I was looking for, I appreciate your perspective and will keep it in mind. :)
Making a list is more for teaching purposes (and to quell my raging OCD) than anything else.. :P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 am

Not Tai Chi, but we've been working on throws recently and enjoy this one :)
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 am

BruceP wrote:stand on his foot

OMFG, my master did that to me all the time! Good one! I'm too nice. Totally forgot about it.. It's called 踩脚. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 am

RobP3 wrote:Not Tai Chi, but we've been working on throws recently and enjoy this one :)

That's pretty cool (all throws are), but too technical for my needs.

I like things like 切脖摔, which is like a clothes-liner but you place your foot behind theirs, 勾脚摔, which is hooking their foot with mine and then pulling it out from under them and 抱腿摔, which can be used when catching a kick or as a fairly standard single-leg take-down. These throws can be used by pretty much anyone and don't require much power or technical ability, just be in the right position at the right time. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:29 am

Diagonal flying

Brush knee twist step
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 am

Not sure what a taiji throw is but the shuai aspect mimics throws associated with the many arts out there!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

MaartenSFS wrote:

OMFG, my master did that to me all the time! Good one! I'm too nice. Totally forgot about it.. It's called 踩脚. ;D

Me too! - this is the best throw for Taiji I think.

Scott P just wrote a very good blog post about this very subject:

http://northstarmartialarts.com/blog1/2 ... t-stepping
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am

Not clicking that bait, but the idea is so simple that it doesn't need more than a few words.

It is the first step of 5-steps, though, so it's a pretty big monkey.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:

OMG, master Marquez does this all the time, too! Brings back memories of Master Marquez vs Master Pacqiao 3, where Master Marquez made $5 million, as the challenger in this fight: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgRgw7IaFM
marvin8
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:15 pm

BruceP wrote:Not clicking that bait, but the idea is so simple that it doesn't need more than a few words.

It is the first step of 5-steps, though, so it's a pretty big monkey.

You're right. If you clicked that link and read his article the CIA would know where you lived and evil web pixies would eat your face for sure - better not click it. Just in case.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 pm

marvin8 wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:

OMG, master Marquez does this all the time, too! Brings back memories of Master Marquez vs Master Pacqiao 3, where Master Marquez made $5 million, as the challenger in this fight: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgRgw7IaFM

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Well, how do people practice tcc throws without studying tcc falling and getting up? Are there "tcc" methods for those aspects?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan