Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Postby willie on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 am

wayne hansen wrote: Which ones the labourers or the bodybuilders

I remember going to the dance clubs and always seeing some big fat chick bullying some fly chick and calling her "SLUT!"
You know why right? LOL!
Last edited by willie on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Having worked as a wharfie (longshoreman/docker) and known many footballers with extensive weight training and competitive body builders I made a valid point about how they end up in older age.
People from all sorts of backgrounds end up in old age homes
Good luck to you if weight training is good for you and any others that practice it.
Your statements about fly v fat chicks shows where your head is so I won't respond to you in the future due to the fact you don't hear what I have to say
Don't feel you have to respond to this for I only write it for others on here
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 pm

When I worked in construction, there were a few guys who were 65 or a bit more. Though they were tremendously strong, I know that I wouldn't want to be working at that age. They couldn't do what I could do --i.e., be the monkey on the steel. But, it was more about the general hardships of being cold, wet, and liable to fall. It's a young man's job.

That said, I think moderation in all things is a good strategy. I don't think being stronger hurts.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I'd say it is important to differentiate between injuries in old age from competitive activities and resistance training per se.

Most older bodybuilders who keep up with the practice seem to do just fine. Look at Schwarzenneger and Colombu. Both are in their 70s and looking great despite massive steroid use. Why? They kept in shape.

Even in military top end circles good examples of this exist. Special Forces guys are really busted up and get fat when retired. SEALs on the other hand, assuming they weren't medically retired from service, tend to be in really good shape. Why? The SEALs have a culture of fitness.

From what I've seen, resistance training is pretty much mandatory to maintain a robust physicality in old age.

If you go to the Starting Strength website, you'll find a variety of useful articles on aging and resistance training.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:51 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Having worked as a wharfie (longshoreman/docker) and known many footballers with extensive weight training and competitive body builders I made a valid point about how they end up in older age.
Good luck to you if weight training is good for you and any others that practice it.
Your statements about fly v fat chicks shows where your head is so I won't respond to you in the future due to the fact you don't hear what I have to say

Once again, you are wrong. I do value and listen to what you and others say.
I reserve the final say when it comes to me and my personal views.

No it doesn't show where my head is at, I really have seen that happen many times.
So it's more like where their head is at.

Peace
willie

Postby willie on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Steve James wrote:When I worked in construction, there were a few guys who were 65 or a bit more. Though they were tremendously strong, I know that I wouldn't want to be working at that age. They couldn't do what I could do --i.e., be the monkey on the steel. But, it was more about the general hardships of being cold, wet, and liable to fall. It's a young man's job.

That said, I think moderation in all things is a good strategy. I don't think being stronger hurts.

That's a good reply.
It's very difficult as people get older to handle those kind's of things.
But here's the trip, there are many members of the commercial gym that I currently belong to that were sent there
by their primary care doctor.
They are there for many different reasons. From weak bones to cardio to just bad health in general.

I was a very dedicate body builder all though the 90's.
this post was not to offend taiji players who's opinion differs from mine. As everyone here knows "I am a taiji player" My goal is to inspire people.

I body build and I think it's just great.

willie

Postby willie on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:28 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Having worked as a wharfie (longshoreman/docker) and known many footballers with extensive weight training and competitive body builders I made a valid point about how they end up in older age.

Hi Wayne, I was trying to think of a better way to address you on your point of view.
My first Taiji teacher (Yang style), Was very much into promoting what he called a Buddha belly.
At first it kind of makes sense, lowered center. In time however, The belly starts to distend.
In my personal experience, This distention causes bloating and a very sluggish metabolism.
I have video's that clearly show my own stomach becoming distended. It was nearly impossible to reverse the enlargement of
the intestines. I've been working extremely hard on getting rid of it for months. I hate feeling bloated and it looked terrible.
Not to mention that it is not healthy.
My Chen teacher is close to 70 years old and has no distension. I asked him about the Buddha belly that is caused by over-relaxation.
He said that "it is not necessary for good taiji".
I don't really know what information you have, But if you do not understand the concept of "the meshing of gears", Then it would be
difficult for me to explain how to use strength.
Just for the sake of bringing back to reality those who feel that muscle's are not used or needed.
The body operates on muscle, That is how it is designed. So letting the muscle become weak is never a good thing.
day 10, stomach distension nearly gone.
willie

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Willie,

Excellent point about abdominal body fat.

What we now know is that fat around the middle section, the so-called apple shaped body, is an excellent predictor of diabetes and fatty-liver disease.

Historically, this may, or may, not have been an issue due to most people being frequently hypo-caloric/starving most of the time.

Also, and this addresses something I bring up to my students all of the time, many of these practices were simply not healthy or good for you. People frequently died for all kinds of "unknown" reasons historically and if you lived to be sixty you were doing pretty well.

Almost all of the serious developmental qi gong I've learned over the years eventually presents you with a bill.

Sure it makes you much more animated and lively in the meantime, but I've never encountered anyone who was really powerful, lived longer than what is easily achievable by half-decent genetics/moderate lifestyle/regular exercise, and lived like a person. In fact, everyone I've met who was doing well when older put a heavy emphasis on resistance training.

If you look at someone like Jack LaLanne. He lived for the better part of 100 years by always being fit, getting adequate sleep and following a moderate diet. I can't say everyone will get a similar results vis-à-vis genetics and environmental exposure. That said, he lived longer, lived better and excelled at whatever the hell he wanted without a stick of qi gong versus 99% of the "practitioners" out there.

On the other hand, I have met many practitioners who had boatloads of meditative/martial power who paid for it dearly when older.

No real substitute exists for maintaining proper bodyfat levels, getting adequate sleep and eating properly.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm

willie wrote:My first Taiji teacher (Yang style), Was very much into promoting what he called a Buddha belly.

The day when I married to my wife. she said that if I ever have a fat belly, she will divorce me. I do 60 sit-up daily. That's good enough for me to stay away from getting fat belly. It's not that hard at all.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 am

johnwang wrote:
willie wrote:My first Taiji teacher (Yang style), Was very much into promoting what he called a Buddha belly.

The day when I married to my wife. she said that if I ever have a fat belly, she will divorce me. I do 60 sit-up daily. That's good enough for me to stay away from getting fat belly. It's not that hard at all.

I was told that in China it at least used to be that a man with a fat belly was/is a wealthy man and therefore an desirable man. But that role model value is changing here.....damn it, here's so much good food, and sit ups are boring
Trick

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 am

For S&C Is benching everyday for 30 days considered good protocal these days ?
I thought not, as you aren't giving your body recovery time and that's when you make your best gains strength wise, as I understand it. I'm no expert on these matters though..

Also you use the term body building. Most people associate that with the aesthetic angle being predominant and the higher utilization of isolation training. Is that the case for you, would you say?

So for example, do you have an opinion on say body building vs. power lifting?

It's always a question of what you're training for, and of course using resistence in whatever form has it's pro's.
Nice to see you again anyway, and you're looking buff man.. nice.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby amor on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:18 am

willie wrote:

My first Taiji teacher (Yang style), Was very much into promoting what he called a Buddha belly.

The body operates on muscle, That is how it is designed. So letting the muscle become weak is never a good thing.
day 10, stomach distension nearly gone.

I've been told not to do weights until the very end of your taichi training but that's just me. Nevertheless good body Willie.
amor
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:58 am

johnwang wrote:

That might be true about the sit ups if you could spot train fat. But alas, that's not how it works apparently.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 am

You exert as much force as possible, as consistently as possible, to lift the heaviest weight you can. During a pushing motion, the object is moved by you first establishing contact and exerting force over a relatively extended period of time.

Examples of sports with PUSHING motions (all of these also have snapping motions):

sprinting
gymnastics
football
wrestling
weightlifting

taiji " as noted by JW" ;)

Examples of sports with SNAPPING motions:

tennis
baseball (hitting, not throwing)
golf
volleyball
BOXING!

taiji depending on intent and
focus of applied applications

REASON #2 – Powerful Punches Require Relaxation, NOT Strong Muscles

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-tra ... hing-power

Not a comment on Willies work, just bringing a different view point to the table.
The article stresses relaxation as one of the key points in type of power delivery specified by sport or event.

As to whether its useful or not kind of depends, which as some have noted there are many different factors.
For older people resistance or movement training is always good. A good point that Willie brought out.

Have relatives that work in the trades, while they are quite strong,
their bodies are also very beat up, damaged
from their work.

A little different then some of the examples used of people who've
trained to lift and spent most of their lives doing so.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 am

cloudz wrote:For S&C Is benching everyday for 30 days considered good protocal these days ?
I thought not, as you aren't giving your body recovery time and that's when you make your best gains strength wise, as I understand it. I'm no expert on these matters though..

Also you use the term body building. Most people associate that with the aesthetic angle being predominant and the higher utilization of isolation training. Is that the case for you, would you say?

So for example, do you have an opinion on say body building vs. power lifting?

It's always a question of what you're training for, and of course using resistence in whatever form has it's pro's.
Nice to see you again anyway, and you're looking buff man.. nice.

I once asked my brother about this 'body building vs power lifting' since he was a competitive power lifter in the 70's, he said at least back then those who focused on competitive body building where also quite strong power lifters.
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan