Qi Creation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Qi Creation

Postby willie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

amor wrote:Thanks for the links but I don't feel the examples help that much because those links show it from a mechanical context rather than human-body flesh, tendon, blood etc. sense.
But while I agree that 'qi creation' and 'helical gears' are important and very much part of taichi the terms just feel cliched in order to make us amazed somehow.

I think it would be better to actually describe whats going on under the hood rather than talk about those terms which are the end result of an extremely tough process of 'internal refinement'. This is for willie but you can add your own if you wish but what about the 'web-like' structure or stretchy feeling of the jing-luo that you encounter when you relax well almost to the point of being 'limp noodle like'. I had better clarify myself and state that 'limp noodle like' is not the be-all and end-all it's just a pre-requisite state of the body in order to go about causing the internal refinement to occur smoothly or however much you can get it to go smooth.
So how can we relate limp noodle like to helical gears and qi creation. I agree with what Steve Rowe mentioned some posts back as a high level explanation but you have to go low-level if you want to make a success of it imo.

Hi Amor. I trained in several styles of Tai Chi not just one. Everything from helical gears to the limp noodle stuff and a lot of theories. The limp noodle stuff is very interesting as it works excellent for escaping. It is also extremely easy to acquire so I would consider it a fast Road. But I'm not really sure if I would classify it as Tai Chi. The reason being is that it is more like 80% yin and 20% Yang. In my opinion Tai Chi should be 50% Yin and 50% yang then you will have a balanced dantian.
thanks
willie

Postby charles on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 pm

amor wrote:I think it would be better to actually describe whats going on under the hood rather than talk about those terms which are the end result of an extremely tough process of 'internal refinement'.

Taijiquan is very largely experiential, rather than academic. The use of imagery is intended to help students get a sense of what aspects of that experience should be. Some teachers use more imagery than other teachers. Gears, ball bearings, ball pressed into the surface of water, a pearl with nine bends... are all examples of the use of imagery. One of the problems with imagery is that it can often be interpreted in many different ways, each leading students to incorrectly believe what they are doing is "right".

My preference is to largely avoid imagery and, instead, work on specific exercises that are intended to lead a student to certain types of experiences. Once the student attains the intended experience, one can then attach a label to it, for later discussion/teaching. The catch is usually that one has to work on the exercise a certain way to obtain the intended experience. That is where hands-on corrections come into it, rather than long-winded academic discussion, metaphors and imagery. Some discussion, some metaphor, some imagery can be helpful at times, but it should not eclipse doing the work.

'limp noodle like' is... just a pre-requisite state of the body in order to go about causing the internal refinement

So how can we relate limp noodle like to helical gears and qi creation.

Your first statement answers your second.
Last edited by charles on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

holy crap Charles, I'm going to have that post downloaded photocopied and blown up to 24 X 36 and post it on my wall with the caption professor Charles right on top.
willie

Postby charles on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 pm

willie wrote:holy crap Charles, I'm going to have that post downloaded photocopied and blown up to 24 X 36 and post it on my wall with the caption professor Charles right on top.

Other than to be unkind, I'm not sure what point you are making.

How about addressing the content of what I wrote, if you disagree with it, rather than go for the ad hominem.
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:24 pm

charles wrote:
willie wrote:holy crap Charles, I'm going to have that post downloaded photocopied and blown up to 24 X 36 and post it on my wall with the caption professor Charles right on top.

Other than to be unkind, I'm not sure what point you are making.

How about addressing the content of what I wrote, if you disagree with it, rather than go for the ad hominem.

Oh come on Charles.. I was just trying to be funny. Personally I liked the post, otherwise I wouldn't have said what I said.
I can't really address the methods that you spoke about. It's not the way that I was taught. However it sounds like you're taking a scientists point of view. They cannot allow passion or prejudice to influence their decisions or outcomes. So yes that sounds good to me.
willie

Postby wiesiek on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 am

charles may add the prof., up front of his nick,
without hesitation :D

btw,
professors tones like to appear when you made leap in the practice and thinkin` > that`s it!< ,
perfectly normal,
but
dangerous ,
`cause you mind may be far, far away, so eyes don`t notice big wall up front your nose, particularly, if it is glassy one -drink-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm

[OTT]reading wiesiek's posts is like trying to walk on a straight line with eyes closed while sufficiently intoxicated (but without the context of police officer standing there watching you to decide whether to charge you with a DUI) -- it's entertaining and bizarre, even if at times you have to strain a bit to do it. :D -bow- 8-) [/OTT]
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Dmitri wrote:[OTT]reading wiesiek's posts is like trying to walk on a straight line with eyes closed while sufficiently intoxicated (but without the context of police officer standing there watching you to decide whether to charge you with a DUI) -- it's entertaining and bizarre, even if at times you have to strain a bit to do it. :D -bow- 8-) [/OTT]

True that!

But, please, have mercy on us non-native English speakers, haha!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:12 pm

haha part of what makes his posts so good!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:18 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:But, please, have mercy on us non-native English speakers, haha!

Not a native speaker myself, and that wasn't intended as anything negative whatsoever... I know it's hard with a foreign language, but the point was that he makes that effort appear/read in a fun way, like looking into a curved mirror or reading a book through a translucent kaleidoscope... :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 am

thx, guys :)
I like keep the posting in the light divisions, even if content may be on the serious more heavy weighted side,
and
After 17 years with only polish language around me, direct translation "while U typing`" adds the colors...definitely, -joint-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 pm

All with you, Wiesiek!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan