Marin Spivack interview

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Marin Spivack interview

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Sorry - I was replying to a comment way back - the conversation has moved on.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't do Taijiquan anymore, but I studied it full-time for several years, six days a week, five hours a day. I've met Taiji and other masters from all over China, some famous and at the top of their field. I've met good masters of most CMA. Before studying CMA I studied many other arts for a significant amount of time and was also involved with an MMA sparring club, back in college, where people from all styles came to spar and wrestle, etc. I may not be an expert in much, but I call low-level skill when I see it. If people weren't treating it for what it is I wouldn't be so critical. Like another poster said, his structure is way off. The other guy should be moved around his solid structure, not the other way around. I'm over these compliant drills. His Fajin is not the worst I've seen, but has some major issues and doesn't look nearly penetrating enough. I quit Taijiquan because I prefer striking over wrestling (and am kind of awkward at it, but not terrible). I can tell that this guy isn't moving his partner around like someone that's good at wrestling either. My striking and Fajin are powerful and based on that and from everything else that I've seen here in China, I have come to the conclusion that his is lacking, is basically wrong (but not as bad as the old ladies in the park).
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Can you please leave the old ladies in the park out of it some of them are quite good looking for the old guys in the park ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:43 pm

MaartenSFS wrote: I may not be an expert in much, but I call low-level skill when I see it. If people weren't treating it for what it is I wouldn't be so critical. Like another poster said, his structure is way off.
I'm over these compliant drills. His Fajin is not the worst I've seen, but has some major issues and doesn't look nearly penetrating enough. My striking and Fajin are powerful, I have come to the conclusion that his is lacking, is basically wrong (but not as bad as the old ladies in the park).

Holy crap, LOL!
Let's start off the day in a great way.
1.The guys who claim that his structure is off are the ones in question.
2. His fajin is near perfect, equal or better then most Chinese that I have seen.
3. I highly doubt if you are qualified to be so critical.
4. They are not compliant drills. That appears to me as semi-live. it's probably the best way to teach the applications.

All in all, from what I've seen, He probably is with-in the top 10 ,or even better, in the United States knowledge wise.
willie

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Trick wrote:
Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Are there any vid's on the Chinese tubes with this guy?

http://i.youku.com/u/UNTc2MzY2Nzk2

Thanks, will later take a look at them. He seem to be a "legendary" person around here, will be an interesting watch

I watched those videos, I would say it looks good but his Paocui form and application of forms practice seem to be on a if put it on levels "still try to do it as my teacher does it" level, in the performance of the first form he looks at home with. He seem dedicated and will surely climb on that level ladder that Willie(or some else)here has put numbers on(didn't know there are levels outnumbered, one to five never heard of it).....if I would compare with the other guy that is sort of discussed parallel on this forum, the other guy seem at home and relaxed in his so far skills...............Some words from the Master - “Тhe gentle overcomes the rigid.
The slow overcomes the fast.
The weak overcomes the strong."…
"Everyone knows that the yielding overcomes the stiff,
and the soft overcomes the hard.
Yet no one applies this knowledge.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching ........... I wonder what on what level this fits in, three maybe four? damn I have to practice more 8-) .......maybe we should begin wearing colored belts and patches
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 pm

windwalker wrote:Can you please leave the old ladies in the park out of it some of them are quite good looking for the old guys in the park ;)

:)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:00 pm

I first heard the 5 levels from CZW in 88
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Trick wrote:...didn't know there are levels outnumbered, one to five never heard of it)....

Chen Xiaowang prepared a list of five skill/progression levels. A translation of it can be found here: http://www.shou-yi.org/taijiquan/5-leve ... -taijiquan

He stated that few people, including most teachers, get beyond about level 1.5. We'd all like to think we're higher, but ...
charles
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 pm

What level are Chen Xiaowang at ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

I remember seeing a video where Chen Xiaowang pushing in Taiwan, and another one where he is pushing/moving a long line of people
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 am

willie wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote: I may not be an expert in much, but I call low-level skill when I see it. If people weren't treating it for what it is I wouldn't be so critical. Like another poster said, his structure is way off.
I'm over these compliant drills. His Fajin is not the worst I've seen, but has some major issues and doesn't look nearly penetrating enough. My striking and Fajin are powerful, I have come to the conclusion that his is lacking, is basically wrong (but not as bad as the old ladies in the park).

Holy crap, LOL!
Let's start off the day in a great way.
1.The guys who claim that his structure is off are the ones in question.
2. His fajin is near perfect, equal or better then most Chinese that I have seen.
3. I highly doubt if you are qualified to be so critical.
4. They are not compliant drills. That appears to me as semi-live. it's probably the best way to teach the applications.

All in all, from what I've seen, He probably is with-in the top 10 ,or even better, in the United States knowledge wise.

I quit Taijiquan and am not competing with you or him and have nothing to gain here at all. I was just hoping to burst some delusional bubbles for your sakes. Feel free not to believe me. It's your loss...
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 am

MaartenSFS wrote: I was just hoping to burst some delusional bubbles for your sakes.

Honestly, I was trying to do the same for you. Best of luck to you.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby willie on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I quit Taijiquan and am not competing with you or him and have nothing to gain here at all. I was just hoping to burst some delusional bubbles for your sakes. Feel free not to believe me. It's your loss...

Hi maarten, like I told you I seen your videos and I thought that they were pretty good. That does not qualify you to judge somebody who's better than you at Tai Chi.
Obviously the guy has put in a lot of Untold-of hours. Pretty much anyone would have to just about break their back jumping through hoops and every other goddamn thing to become that proficient and that knowledgeable.
I just feel that he deserves his props for going through all the effort to get to where he got. Also, there is a lot of people posting here or in the background , who have several Arts under their belts, who also practice Tai Chi. So what delusional bubble are we talking about?
willie

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am

Just came to think about it, does ChenYu's teachings involve weapons practice ? Many are of the idea that weapon practice is necessary to further ones skill in Taijiquan. ChenYu seem to be of very high skill but I did find any video of him engaging with weapons
Trick

Postby jaime_g on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 am

If I remember well Chen Yu is in youtube doing sword, spear, and guan dao
jaime_g
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan