Marin Spivack interview

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Marin Spivack interview

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm

jaime_g wrote:If I remember well Chen Yu is in youtube doing sword, spear, and guan dao

Ah, can't access YouTube, so far I have not seen an weapon exercises by him on the Chinese tubes, but I have not seriously been looking so I might find sooner or later.
Trick

Postby wkfung108 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

willie wrote:Hi maarten, like I told you I seen your videos and I thought that they were pretty good. That does not qualify you to judge somebody who's better than you at Tai Chi.

Ignoring the substance of the argument, that logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You don't need to be BETTER than somebody at a given pursuit to judge his skill. I might not be a great cook myself, but that doesn't mean I'm unqualified to judge whether the guy who cooked my dinner did a shitty job (or a great job).

I don't know Maarten and have never seen his vids, but if he's -- as you describe him -- "pretty good" at a Chinese internal style, then he's absolutely qualified to judge somebody's Taiji, regardless of whether that person is better than Maarten or not.

willie wrote:Obviously the guy has put in a lot of Untold-of hours. Pretty much anyone would have to just about break their back jumping through hoops and every other goddamn thing to become that proficient and that knowledgeable.

Marin is far from the only one who has put in the sort of work and effort you describe, and he's far from the only one who's become "that proficient." He's worthy of respect, but not the kind of hero worship you're advocating.

willie wrote: I just feel that he deserves his props for going through all the effort to get to where he got.

He absolutely does. But that's not what you're demanding from everybody. What you're demanding is that everyone acknowledge him as having achieved the pinnacle of skill and cultivation, and when anybody questions it, you just label them as ignorant or stupid without addressing their actual critiques.

For what it's worth, I actually think Marin is decent -- based on my admittedly non-existent Taiji experience (my training has been in bagua and wing chun). I also think there are a number of teachers in the United States who are at least as good. And, having had unpleasant conversations with the guy and witnessed others experience the same, I would note that you can get comparable levels of instruction and knowledge without having to put up with his bad manners.

- Kent
wkfung108
Santi

Postby willie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 pm

wkfung108 wrote:
willie wrote:Hi maarten, like I told you I seen your videos and I thought that they were pretty good. That does not qualify you to judge somebody who's better than you at Tai Chi.

Ignoring the substance of the argument, that logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You don't need to be BETTER than somebody at a given pursuit to judge his skill. I might not be a great cook myself, but that doesn't mean I'm unqualified to judge whether the guy who cooked my dinner did a shitty job (or a great job).

I don't know Maarten and have never seen his vids, but if he's -- as you describe him -- "pretty good" at a Chinese internal style, then he's absolutely qualified to judge somebody's Taiji, regardless of whether that person is better than Maarten or not.

willie wrote:Obviously the guy has put in a lot of Untold-of hours. Pretty much anyone would have to just about break their back jumping through hoops and every other goddamn thing to become that proficient and that knowledgeable.

Marin is far from the only one who has put in the sort of work and effort you describe, and he's far from the only one who's become "that proficient." He's worthy of respect, but not the kind of hero worship you're advocating.

willie wrote: I just feel that he deserves his props for going through all the effort to get to where he got.

He absolutely does. But that's not what you're demanding from everybody. What you're demanding is that everyone acknowledge him as having achieved the pinnacle of skill and cultivation, and when anybody questions it, you just label them as ignorant or stupid without addressing their actual critiques.

For what it's worth, I actually think Marin is decent -- based on my admittedly non-existent Taiji experience (my training has

- Kent
dude, do I know you? First thing. And I want you to get this through your head right away. I don't worship anybody. And I'm not sure why you think that is appropriate for you to try to tell me off. It's kind of funny the way you assume things because I never said that maarten has good internal skills either. As a matter of fact you are assuming all kinds of stupid things aren't you? I call it as I see it. No Martin is not qualified to judge his skill level and apparently you're not either. And talk about Bad Manners? You started off in a very bad way don't you think?
willie

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Willie, have you seen the video I posted of my Master doing a Taiji form? It's on my website, if you haven't. Link below. I'm sure that Chen Yu's form looks good also. Can't comment on his fighting ability. After all my years of training with a proper master that can fight using all of the internal styles, how exactly am I not qualified to judge this guy? All of the people that I have introduced to my Master immediately wanted to learn from him and many of them were already really good at fighting. You are welcome to come test whether I have internal power or not. ;)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:Willie, have you seen the video I posted of my Master doing a Taiji form? It's on my website, if you haven't. Link below. I'm sure that Chen Yu's form looks good also. Can't comment on his fighting ability. After all my years of training (and you are welcome to come test whether I have internal power or not) with a proper master that can fight using all of the internal styles, how exactly am I not qualified to judge this guy?
are you calling me out? No I do not think that you're qualified in this case and I'm going to tell you why, because you said that his fajin was incorrect and it just happens to be not only correct but quite good. I don't go along with the crowd just because it might be the popular thing to do.
Last edited by willie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 pm

willie wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:Willie, have you seen the video I posted of my Master doing a Taiji form? It's on my website, if you haven't. Link below. I'm sure that Chen Yu's form looks good also. Can't comment on his fighting ability. After all my years of training (and you are welcome to come test whether I have internal power or not) with a proper master that can fight using all of the internal styles, how exactly am I not qualified to judge this guy?
are you calling me out? No I do not think that you're qualified in this case and I'm going to tell you why, because you said that his fajin was incorrect and it just happens to be not only correct but quite good. I don't go along with the crowd just because it might be the popular thing to do.

From the video link Bao posted(the only one I'm able to watch) Spivack's "fajin" in his forms practice seem more than often too tensed and to the point that his head shakes, but in certain moves he gets it quite good.
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 am

I'm saying that if you don't believe that I don't have internal power you are more than welcome to meet up with me and let me prove you wrong. Don't need to fight to prove internal power.. Get that stick from out of your arse. Also, if you think that his Fajin is really good I feel sorry that your expectations are so low.. That was my biggest criticism several years ago when I only saw his form. He looks super tense, the power isn't being channeled properly, hence the excess spazzing. Worst, though, is that he's "pulling his punches" by not extending far enough, which will affect penetration. Anyways, clearly you've been brainwashed and are beyond help. I'm done here.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I'm saying that if you don't believe that I don't have internal power you are more than welcome to meet up with me and let me prove you wrong. Don't need to fight to prove internal power.. Get that stick from out of your arse. Also, if you think that his Fajin is really good I feel sorry that your expectations are so low.. That was my biggest criticism several years ago when I only saw his form. He looks super tense, the power isn't being channeled properly, hence the excess spazzing. Worst, though, is that he's "pulling his punches" by not extending far enough, which will affect penetration. Anyways, clearly you've been brainwashed and are beyond help. I'm done here.
you're right you are done here. Because every single thing that you wrote on this public forum about that guy is wrong. Do you understand what the meaning of wrong is? You know, wrong, wrong, wrong. Maybe you should go back to the park and learn some more free stuff and then try to pass it off as the real stuff. And then put down the people who do have the real stuff. Good luck to you.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 am

Trick wrote:
willie wrote:

From the video link Bao posted(the only one I'm able to watch) Spivack's "fajin" in his forms practice seem more than often too tensed and to the point that his head shakes, but in certain moves he gets it quite good.
hi trick. You're right he is tense during a full power fajin release. Here's the thing. You're supposed to be! You are not supposed to be relaxed at that moment. It is the difference between somebody who is actually using the bows of the body and people who only talk about it and pretend that they know. As you draw the bow back tension accumulates then it is released. In a prior post a couple years ago I had spoke of the dangers of fajin release. Mini concussions from high-power fajin from the head shaking violently. This is correct. But for safety reasons the power should be cut back some in practice.
willie

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 am

Haha. Have a good life.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 am

dude, do I know you? First thing. And I want you to get this through your head right away. I don't worship anybody. And I'm not sure why you think that is appropriate for you to try to tell me off.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

S- kicks up feet cracks beer.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 am

willie wrote:
Trick wrote:From the video link Bao posted(the only one I'm able to watch) Spivack's "fajin" in his forms practice seem more than often too tensed and to the point that his head shakes, but in certain moves he gets it quite good.
hi trick. You're right he is tense during a full power fajin release. Here's the thing. You're supposed to be! You are not supposed to be relaxed at that moment. It is the difference between somebody who is actually using the bows of the body and people who only talk about it and pretend that they know. As you draw the bow back tension accumulates then it is released. In a prior post a couple years ago I had spoke of the dangers of fajin release. Mini concussions from high-power fajin from the head shaking violently. This is correct. But for safety reasons the power should be cut back some in practice.

It got that forced feeling not really based on a relaxed feeling, it should have a spontaneous feeling to it, as I said sometimes it comes out right but mostly it looks forced. Another point, he seem to have developed a bad habit wobbling his head while forcing the fali out, same during application practice he lean his head back when he enters ( I'm not saying I'm better to do such performances, just my observation of the videos) The videos may be old, and I understand he is very dedicated so for sure he will achieve high skill, I think he already has good skill and for those who live in his vicinity are lucky to have skilled teacher around
Trick

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am

Is there seriously 8 pages on here arguing about Mo? I remember seeing 8 pages of Mo arguing but this is absurd. When I get the chance I will have to read it all.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Is there seriously 8 pages on here arguing about Mo? I remember seeing 8 pages of Mo arguing but this is absurd. When I get the chance I will have to read it all.

Right? LMFAO.

The tl;Dr is
"I remember that guy"
"He's not around now because reasons"
"Man he's awesome"
"Meh not really"
"Wanna fight about it?"
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am

oragami_itto wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:Is there seriously 8 pages on here arguing about Mo? I remember seeing 8 pages of Mo arguing but this is absurd. When I get the chance I will have to read it all.

Right? LMFAO.

The tl;Dr is
"I remember that guy"
"He's not around now because reasons"
"Man he's awesome"
"Meh not really"
"Wanna fight about it?"

LOL, that is a great summary. If they do fight about it there should be @@@
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan