XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 pm

I like his Pi Chuan better.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:44 pm

I just did XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times in 42 minutes before I sat back down on my computer. I did 100 punches and turned around. I made 5 loops total (1 loop = 200 punches). After this I'm not even breath hard. I think I can still repeat another 1000 punches without any problem.

I think I'll replace my 3 miles running by 1000 punches from now on. I will try 1000 foot sweeps as well. Not sure 1000 kicks can be good for my knee joint.

After my senior SC brother had heart attack last Christmas (also after my 70 years old birthday), I start to pay more attention on health than just fighting.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm

johnwang wrote:After my senior SC brother had heart attack last Christmas (also after my 70 years old birthday), I start to pay more attention on health than just fighting.

I buried my cousin last weekend. Dead of a heart attack at 42.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Finny on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 pm

My condolences man.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:36 pm

oragami_itto wrote:I buried my cousin last weekend. Dead of a heart attack at 42.

I do believe if you can drill XY Pi Chuan 1000 times non-stop daily, your change of getting heart attack will be less. If you can drill any MA technique 1000 times daily, in 1 year you will drill it 365,000 times. You will be good in that move for sure.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:11 pm

I did it for three months daily when I was living in Heilongjiang. It helped a lot with my footwork and power, my structure. It was definitely something worth doing, even though I don't train XYQ anymore.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 am

Have you done XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times non-stop? Please share your experience here.

Yep every year i do this in the morning for a week or two. I finished this period of training last week.

Experience is always different. But here is an interesting situation.

I was teaching Osoto Gari in Class and everyone was going down before the sweep. I wasnt particularly 'trying' to do this, it was just a result of the body method, structure and the grips ... so i had to really disconnect so that i could demonstrate the technique properly for the class. None of the people i was teaching even know what an internal art is let alone a Pi Quan so it was a good honest reaction to the applicaiton of the Pi body method.

cheers
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 am

middleway wrote:
Have you done XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times non-stop? Please share your experience here.

Yep every year i do this in the morning for a week or two. I finished this period of training last week.

Experience is always different. But here is an interesting situation.

I was teaching Osoto Gari in Class and everyone was going down before the sweep. I wasnt particularly 'trying' to do this, it was just a result of the body method, structure and the grips ... so i had to really disconnect so that i could demonstrate the technique properly for the class. None of the people i was teaching even know what an internal art is let alone a Pi Quan so it was a good honest reaction to the applicaiton of the Pi body method.

cheers

this is an interesting answer to the "what about the leg part" question. but having the leg part seems prudent at least.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm

I just started to do this in 2018. I try to compare which drill I can do 1000 times and which drill I can't and find out why. For those drills that I have hard time to repeat 1000 times, may be my body is not relax enough. One thing that I have found out is 1000 kicks non-stop can be bad for the knee joint.

I did 1000 XingYi Pi Chuan non-stop yesterday. This morning when I waked out, I felt a lot of energy on my body. I felt that I'm 30 years old again. I just finished today's 1000 XingYi Pi Chuan 10 minutes ago. I also feel great right at this moment. Starting from today, I'll use 1000 punches (about 42 minutes) as my daily warm up exercise before I start my regular training.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 am

Trick wrote:quality before quantity ?

very glib and good tongue-fu :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 am

Strange wrote:
Trick wrote:quality before quantity ?

very glib and good tongue-fu :)

Thanks :) but it was more "mind to finger-fu" , almost as "Xingyi" 8-)
Trick

Postby middleway on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 am

quality before quantity ?

Quality & Quantity ;)
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am

middleway wrote:
quality before quantity ?

Quality & Quantity ;)

Good point. ;)

johnwang wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:I buried my cousin last weekend. Dead of a heart attack at 42.

I do believe if you can drill XY Pi Chuan 1000 times non-stop daily, your change of getting heart attack will be less. . . .

If you can drill any MA technique 1000 times daily, in 1 year you will drill it 365,000 times. You will be good in that move for sure.

That may be true. However if one practices XY Pi Chuan when tired, one can develop bad form and habits. It may better to spread out the 1000 Pi Chuans over the day rather than non-stop to ingrain proper technique and power.

Substitute lifting with XY Pi Chuan in the following article.

Excerpts from WHY EVERY REP MATTERS (MOTOR ENGRAMS), http://primalstrengthcamp.com/why-every ... or-engrams:
Primal Nation wrote:The Development of Motor Engrams

Strength is largely a neurological adaptation. A huge piece of this is the development of motor engrams, which is really just a fancy term for muscle memory.

Each rep you perform builds or reinforces motor engrams for your lifting. As you perform a movement over and over (a deadlift for example), your body develops a motor engram that allows you to perform the movement with much less brain activity and input. This allows you to perform much more efficiently.

This is why it is crucial for you to focus on each rep and to reinforce good motor engrams. The more your technique breaks down, and the longer you go without correcting it, you are simply developing bad habits that will prevent you from lifting efficiently.

Research suggests that it takes 300-500 reps to develop a new motor engram, but it takes 3000-5000 to wipe out and re-teach an engrained one.

Think about that for a second.

Performing your reps flawlessly and focusing on technique, you can probably teach yourself a movement in about 4 weeks. Perform bad reps persistently without fixing the issue, and you are setting yourself back 10 times as long. . . .

Every Rep Matters

This is why you need to focus on your reps in training. The greatest lifters you will ever see focus just as much on their warm up sets with an empty bar as they do when they are dealing with serious weight.

If the weights start causing your form to break down, sometimes you can muscle through and set records; but don’t let it persist and develop bad habits…unless you want to spend months trying to reverse them.

Every rep matters…
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am

marvin8 wrote:However if one practices XY Pi Chuan when tired, one can develop bad form and habits.

This is why the 42 minutes 1000 Pi is the 1st thing that I do before my regular training. I treat it as my daily warm-up exercise. 1000 Pi doesn't make me tired as long as I follow the guideline

- Short inhale and long exhale. This is different from the natural breathing.
- Body push shoulder, shoulder push elbow, elbow push hand. No pressure on my shoulder and elbow joint.
- Use bow-arrow stance and forward lean to initiate the forward momentum.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Today It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to finish my 1000 Pi Chuan non-stop.

80 minutes = 80 x 60 = 4800 second. So average it took me 4.8 second to do each Pi Chuan.

Since each Pi include a Tsuan and a Pi, it's a small circle followed by a big circle. A big circle followed by a small circle. I use the small circle Tsuan to inhale and the big circle Pi to exhale.

I'm not sure whether this kind of training can only be good for health and not be good for combat. I don't want to turn into a slow moving old man. I assume if I only use this for warm-up, it can't be too bad.

What do your guys think?
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan