Interview series with Jarek Szymanski

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Interview series with Jarek Szymanski

Postby edededed on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 am

If Jarek does not mind, it would be cool to know what he teaches still! I am sure that he has much skill and knowledge.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 am

Thank you for posting these, those were great
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:41 am

Hi all, for those still following this series the next part of the interview is up:

http://wulinmingshi.com/2018/10/25/interview-with-jarek-szymanski-part-7/

In this part Jarek discusses his training in Tongbei, specifically He Yi Tongbei under the master Bao Guanyuan.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 am

Yay! Looking forward to reading it (at home)...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Very illuminating about heyi tongbei and its history!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am

Didn’t know about Heiyi Tongbeiquan, Interesting. Is it practiced more inland In cities as Nanjing or even Hefei ? Are there any other branches of Tongbeiquan to be found in Shanghai, Wuxing-TBQ for example ?
Trick

Postby Jarek on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:04 am

Trick wrote:Didn’t know about Heiyi Tongbeiquan, Interesting. Is it practiced more inland In cities as Nanjing or even Hefei ? Are there any other branches of Tongbeiquan to be found in Shanghai, Wuxing-TBQ for example ?

Trick, I believe apart from Heyi Tongbei - which is mainly promoted by Wu Maogui - Mr Bao's long time disciple, although I hear he has been having some serious health issues and retired from teaching - there is also Baiyuan Tongbei. However I have never researched the latter. Heyi Tongbei is also taught to some extent in Hangzhou and Suzhou, but am not sure about Nanjing or Hefei.
It is northern China which is the main center for Tongbei, with a huge variety of systems.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:14 am

Storm wrote:I am curious if Mr. Szymanski continues practicing or maybe even teaching Xinyiliuhequan- does anybody have informations on this?
Thank you.

Yes, of course I continue my practice, but do not teach, no time for that... ;)
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 am

Jarek wrote:
Trick wrote:Didn’t know about Heiyi Tongbeiquan, Interesting. Is it practiced more inland In cities as Nanjing or even Hefei ? Are there any other branches of Tongbeiquan to be found in Shanghai, Wuxing-TBQ for example ?

Trick, I believe apart from Heyi Tongbei - which is mainly promoted by Wu Maogui - Mr Bao's long time disciple, although I hear he has been having some serious health issues and retired from teaching - there is also Baiyuan Tongbei. However I have never researched the latter. Heyi Tongbei is also taught to some extent in Hangzhou and Suzhou, but am not sure about Nanjing or Hefei.
It is northern China which is the main center for Tongbei, with a huge variety of systems.

Thanks, I lived in Dalian before and yes there’s a lot of Tongbeiquan to be found, especially wuxing-TBQ. I now live in Huainan, here I basically just practice by myself, but occasionally make trips to Hefei and Nanjing. Step by step I will check out what to be found in those cities
Trick

Postby Jarek on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 am

Trick wrote:Thanks, I lived in Dalian before and yes there’s a lot of Tongbeiquan to be found, especially wuxing-TBQ. I now live in Huainan, here I basically just practice by myself, but occasionally make trips to Hefei and Nanjing. Step by step I will check out what to be found in those cities

Wu Yinghua, son of Wu Yihui of Liuhe Bafa, lives in Huainan. It's not Tongbei, but you could try to find him. It was where I met late Guo Ruixiang, so they were in touch, but probably because of the Nanjing Central MA academy connection (many years ago Wu Yinghua published a book on the history of the Academy, where Guo Changsheng, GRS's father, taught). Maybe some of Guo's disciples visit the place.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 am

Jarek wrote:
Trick wrote:Thanks, I lived in Dalian before and yes there’s a lot of Tongbeiquan to be found, especially wuxing-TBQ. I now live in Huainan, here I basically just practice by myself, but occasionally make trips to Hefei and Nanjing. Step by step I will check out what to be found in those cities

Wu Yinghua, son of Wu Yihui of Liuhe Bafa, lives in Huainan. It's not Tongbei, but you could try to find him. It was where I met late Guo Ruixiang, so they were in touch, but probably because of the Nanjing Central MA academy connection (many years ago Wu Yinghua published a book on the history of the Academy, where Guo Changsheng, GRS's father, taught). Maybe some of Guo's disciples visit the place.

Aha, thanks a lot Jarek, that’s interesting information.
Trick

Postby Storm on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Jarek wrote:
Storm wrote:I am curious if Mr. Szymanski continues practicing or maybe even teaching Xinyiliuhequan- does anybody have informations on this?
Thank you.

Yes, of course I continue my practice, but do not teach, no time for that... ;)

Hello Mr. Szymanski. Thank you for the answer. If I may ask a bit more: do you practice Xinyi Liuhe Quan exclusively or some other martial art, too?
Am curious because in the series of articles until know you said you studied several styles. If it's Xinyi Liuhe Quan exclusively may you elaborate please why only one and why this style?
Thank you.
Storm
Santi

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Storm - as far as I know Jarek continues his practice of at least Xinyi Liuhe, Zhaobao taijiquan and Shi style bagua. Am sure Jarek himself will chime in soon.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Jarek on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 am

Hi Storm,

I have not given up the styles I have studied, apart from those I learnt before I came to China and most of Liang style Bagua (actually from time to time review Liu Dekuan's 64 Hands and Single Techniques - Dan Cao). Each style offers different stategies and methods - Xinyi Liuhe focuses on short distance, Bagua teaches you the methods of dodging, Tongbei prefers long distance, and Taiji is great for refining and fine-tuning the body mechanics... Hence I practice all these styles - it would be a shame and disrespectful to the teachers to throw anything away - especially that all of my masters are gone.

Cheers,

Jarek
Last edited by Jarek on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 am

Great that you are continuing the practice - it must be a huge amount of material to review/practice though!

I am quite interested to hear how Shi style bagua is similar/different from Liang style bagua, in your experience. (At least visually they seem more similar than with Cheng, Yin, etc. branches.)
edededed
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan