question for yizong guys.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: question for yizong guys.

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:44 am

chud,

I don't remember the origin of the squabble beyond the fact that Pittman studied with the Hong Bros. directly instead of through Luo and was affiliated with Robert W. Smith, who apparently said something disparaging about Hong I-Hsiang at one point. Whatever it is, they've been rabid about it for years.
Chris McKinley

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 am

Chud and ChrisM, all that you are referring to is some internet squabbling. Loudmouths shot off briefly and now it's becoming some sort of legendary beef. There is nothing to it but some hot air and silliness so let's please forget about it. There is no beef, there is no problem, there is no there, there. Any discussion of why someone has a problem with someone else is best done in person or PM or whatever. Let's not perpetuate something that has nothing to do with the teachers in question, who had nothing to do with some ancient internet chest thumping. It's just he said she said nonsense that is embarrassing to all concerned.

In Peace,

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:43 pm

If the squabble is now over, I'd be glad. It seemed silly to begin with. However, I know from several personal experiences that it wasn't limited to a single internet exchange. That was going on for years at all levels of the organization. But again, as I said, if it's over, great. I think the two sides have more to gain from cooperation anyway.
Chris McKinley

Postby Buddy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:08 pm

The issue was with Mr. Pittman, not Mr. Smith and is all water under the bridge. No need to dredge up matters that don't matter any more.
Mr. Smith simply made an erroneous assumption in one of his books. No big. Believe it or not, I've been wrong before myself.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Good to hear, Buddy. Glad it's done with.
Chris McKinley

Postby Buddy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

By the way, I don't speak for any organization, just for me. And in that I was probably the most vocal critic, that is as it should be.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Brinkman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Let me set the record straight...just so there is absolutely no confusion. Many years ago, without the slightest provocation, Allen Pittman wrote an incredibly slanderous article about Luo, plain and simple. I'm not sure how long this “attack piece” was up on Allen's website, before someone sent a copy to Luo....but I most vividly remember the confused look on Luo's face while we sat and read it. What compelled Allen to write such a personal attack is open to anyone's interpretation.

Before that actual moment, nobody in Luo's group had any disrespect for Pittman..period. The few students who actually knew of Pittman however, considered him somewhat of a “trailblazer”. Luo himself, knew very little about Pittman..nor had they ever met...so it was a very surreal experience to read this guy's personal attacks on Luo. Everyone has the right to their opinions in private, but publishing such personal attacks in a public forum is a bit much. Even if Allen had spent five minutes conversing with Luo or testing his gungfu then his words would be much more credible.

Anyway, this is ancient history and besides generating a confused look on Luo's face, I don't think Luo ever gave it another thought. Rabid?.... nahh...! Over the years, this story has gotten dredged up by the occasional student who was trying to figure out the details of Robert Smith's studies with the Hung family, so I think it has gotten a little twisted out of shape.

Marcus
Brinkman

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan