Skills Usage Poll

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

When sparring, which techniques and strategies from these categories do you use the most?

Fists
21%
Open hands
21%
Dianxue/attacks using specially-conditioned fingers
No votes
Qinna
7%
Elbows/shoulder strikes/knees
2%
Low kicks
18%
High kicks
No votes
Crazy footwork
10%
Throws/takedowns
18%
Ground fighting
No votes

Total votes : 38

Re: Skills Usage Poll

Postby windwalker on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:44 am

MaartenSFS wrote:That was a good quote, David. Don't know why you took it off!

Didn't want to jam your thread....

It fits with my own outlook over the yrs although I did take some time off to do some research...

sounds like JW ;)

24. Training
Training has two objectives:

(1) to condition your body for fighting,

(2) to improve your workmanship as a fighter.

Although some exercises help condition and others speed improvement, there's one all-important activity that assists both.
That activity is sparring.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SPARRING. You must spar regularly and often to become a well-rounded scrapper, regardless of what other exercises you may take.

Sparring not only improves your skill, but it also conditions your body for fighting by forcing your muscles to become accustomed to the violent, broken movements that distinguish fighting from any other activity.

http://bmsi.ru/issueview/50fc5c79-9b3d- ... ghting.pdf
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you were asking for but 1st, I havn't been able to stay logged in long enough to make a post in what feels like weeks!

I put fists, Chin Na and basically what I thought was the equivalent of grappling...all with the mindset to finish.

For teenager yrs up to 30's, I sparred heavily for San Shou and MMA and without exaggeration hundreds of (Friendly Competition style) grappling matches. I can't quantify drunk street fighting I did in my 20's...

I'm in my 40's now and still strong and fit enough to throw down with anyone at least once. :) But my skill is better than ever.

The older I get the less hard I'll do, I think it's only natural.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 am

windwalker wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:That was a good quote, David. Don't know why you took it off!

Didn't want to jam your thread....

It fits with my own outlook over the yrs although I did take some time off to do some research...

sounds like JW ;)

24. Training
Training has two objectives:

(1) to condition your body for fighting,

(2) to improve your workmanship as a fighter.

Although some exercises help condition and others speed improvement, there's one all-important activity that assists both.
That activity is sparring.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SPARRING. You must spar regularly and often to become a well-rounded scrapper, regardless of what other exercises you may take.

Sparring not only improves your skill, but it also conditions your body for fighting by forcing your muscles to become accustomed to the violent, broken movements that distinguish fighting from any other activity.

http://bmsi.ru/issueview/50fc5c79-9b3d- ... ghting.pdf

No worries, as long as people are voting I don't care. I think that it was quite a relevant quote. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

Subitai wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you were asking for but 1st, I havn't been able to stay logged in long enough to make a post in what feels like weeks!

I put fists, Chin Na and basically what I thought was the equivalent of grappling...all with the mindset to finish.

For teenager yrs up to 30's, I sparred heavily for San Shou and MMA and without exaggeration hundreds of (Friendly Competition style) grappling matches. I can't quantify drunk street fighting I did in my 20's...

I'm in my 40's now and still strong and fit enough to throw down with anyone at least once. :) But my skill is better than ever.

The older I get the less hard I'll do, I think it's only natural.

Very interesting. Thank you for your contribution.

So far, I'm kind of surprised that no one has chosen ground-fighting and that so many have chosen Qinna, despite it being fairly difficult to pull off in a fight, depending on how you fight.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan