Josh Waitzkin & The Art of Learning

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Josh Waitzkin & The Art of Learning

Postby Waterway on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 am

I recently finshed reading Josh Waitzkin's book "The Art of Learning". It is a great read and Iwould recommend it!

Mr Waitzkin was a former international chess player and multiple national champion in the USA. He also had a movie made about his life ("Searching for Bobby Fischer"). In his book he said that he began to lose his way as a chess player once the movie came out.

Later on, he went travelling and started reading up on, amongest other things, Daoism. This in turn lead him to Taijiquan when he returned to New York. He was (and so far as I know, still is!) a student of Taijiquan Master William C.C. Chen. He later on became a world class push hands player, winning big international tournaments in Taiwan.

Has anyone else read it? There are some great examples of how a person is able to use Taiji to influence his life, and for his life to influence his Taiji.

On another note, my own Taiji teacher told me of a Chinese game of chess based on Taijiquan principles. Anyone ever heard of it???

Mr Waitzkin & the Art of Learning in his own words:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1gxz5puaQ

P.S. Hope no one minds this post! I just really like the book and think it is something other folks might like too, I am not trying to promote anything!!!
Waterway
Anjing

Re: Josh Waitzkin & The Art of Learning

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Waterway wrote: He was (and so far as I know, still is!) a student of Taijiquan Master William C.C. Chen.

He now studies BJJ and is a purple belt. Here's an interview with him that explains it:
http://formosaneijia.com/2008/10/16/jos ... i-and-bjj/

I posted the truncated version I put up on my blog instead of the original because the original has NSFW pics in the margin.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:01 pm

It's a good read. I found it at the library following Dave's suggestion in his blog. I also thought that it was interesting that he is now pursuing BJJ.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Dean on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:29 am

I've never read the book, but I would think if it helped you in some way with your Tai Chi that would be great.

As far as Chinese chess goes, I don't know. Could it be Mahjong?

I've heard good things about William C.C. Chen. If he studied his Tai Chi with him that would be great.
Dean
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 am

I read his interview in Kung Fu Tai Chi a few years ago.
Sounds like he's got his stuff together.
Also, William C.C. Chen has a really good track record for producing good students. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Michael P on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:32 am

I used to push with Josh a number of years ago at Master Chen's school - he's truly really very good! He could read you moves ahead of time...go figure. Anyway, I had no idea who he was for quite awhile. He was just my buddy Josh (he's the first person I really met at the school and spent longer periods of time talking to). Haven't talked to him in a good while. Real down to earth guy. Hope he's doing well.
Michael P
Santi

Postby David Boxen on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 am

So I listened to his longer google interview. I'm just wondering if what he talked about concerning creating patterns/rhythm, applies to combat, as opposed to competition. Back when I trained things that involved light touch sparring this was how you scored points, but I have a whole different viewpoint on combat nowadays.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan