Determining Your Focus

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Determining Your Focus

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:10 am

Bao wrote:Of course not, I am not a moron. There's nothing to brag about, but I have done my share of real fighting when I was young and stupid. Every time very different from any kind of sparring situation, full contact or not. I've also done a whole deal of sparring. I can honestly say that I suck and that I cannot fight. Better to be humble and honest. It will help in the long run. ;)

Yes, you have that experience, but many of your students may not. You are doing a disservice to them by not training full-contact sparring.

I just taught a student this morning and I used a lot of the techniques that I taught him in a sparring session at the end. He also had a chance to use the things that I have been teaching him and he was able to apply some already. He is making good progress. Also, by getting hit by me a lot he is understanding what it should look and feel like, the strategies I use, how I set them up, how to defend against it, etc. I showed him things like that in drills, but this is totally different and the only way to prepare for it is to do it. Drills are great for isolating techniques or strategies that we want to work on, but in real fighting things usually don't go as planned. In sparring, your partner is not trying to cooperate and has an agenda of his own. You not only need to stop him from doing what he wants to do, but also do what you want to do. Then after the sparring, analyse and drill what you want to improve, continue to do the solo training to improve your power and repeat. Drilling and sparring are equally important. I teach sparring and fencing in the first class because I want my students to understand that they will get hit and to immediately give them a chance to try what they have learned and see where they stand and how much it will take to reach a higher level.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan