You've got to knock them out in fist fights

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: You've got to knock them out in fist fights

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:05 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I totally agree with Peacedog, though it doesn't necessarily have to be punches. Hammer fists, the ridge of the palm, the heel of the palm and the oxbow work great as well.

I strongly advise people to use vertical punches, as the chance of injury is much lower, in my experience.

Jack, advises the same for the same reasons plus alignment which he calls the "power line"

. The power line still runs solidly through the little knuckle. Now that you have felt out the power line, you can appreciate that the greatest possible solidity would be achieved if you landed every punch with the little knuckle first.

Unfortunately, however, the hand-bone behind the little knuckle is the most fragile of the five backbones. It can be broken the most easily. You must not attempt to land first with the little knuckle. Instead you must try to land first with the knuckle next to your pinky (the ring finger). We'll call that the 2nd knuckle. Aiming with the 2nd knuckle usually brings about a three-knuckle landing.

Those three-knuckles are: middle, second (ring) and pinky. If you aim with the second knuckle, those three knuckles usually will land together because the average fist slopes slightly from the middle knuckle to the pinky. Such a three-knuckle landing not only prevents the hand-bone behind any one knuckle from bearing all the punch-shock, but it also permits punching almost exactly along the power line.

Rarely will one of those knuckles make a solo landing. But if you aim with the little knuckle, you risk a dangerous solo landing on forehead or blocking elbow.
Always aim with the second knuckle-the one next to your pinky-and LET THE OTHER KNUCKLES TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES.

They'll take care of themselves all right; for the shape of the fist makes it impossible for them to do otherwise.
Clench your right fist and inspect its knuckles. Your thumb knuckle is "out of the way"-completely separated from your row of four knuckles on the striking edge of your fist. More than that, your thumb knuckle is farthest away from your pinky knuckle-farthest away from the end of the power line. Nature took care of that. Never double-cross nature by trying to hit with that thumb knuckle, under any circumstance. It breaks easily. Keep it out of the way.
http://bmsi.ru/issueview/50fc5c79-9b3d- ... ghting.pdf

When I was younger we beat up "conditioned" our hands on a large canvas bag "army duffle bag" filled with sand hung by a chain from the ceiling.

"The large bag in the other room would also add my own blood stains to it caused by hitting it off center. Interesting in that we would swing the bag, stopping it by allowing it to hit either a fist or kick. This was to test ones alignment and structure." the bag must have weighed some 200+ lb.

We used both vertical called a "sun" fist if I remember and a horizontal one....each had a different reason for use.

I sometimes wonder now if I injured them then in the quest for conditioning them , as I age..
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan