Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is..

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:57 pm

It's true that there are more knife killings outside the US, and the argument that it's because of gun laws is valid. There are statistics.

All of these countries have tight gun control laws, and rates of violent crime involving knives reflect that. According to the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime, firearms account for 76 percent of homicide weapons in the Americas (30 countries), while knives make up just 10 percent of those crimes. In Europe (32 countries), on the other hand, guns are involved in 36 percent of murders and knives are involved in 43 percent. Here’s the U.N.:

Over the whole age range, a male in the Americas is around six times more likely to be killed by a firearm than a knife. In contrast, in 17 countries in Asia, firearm and sharp object homicides are much more equally distributed in the 15 to 34 age group: while a slightly higher proportion of violent deaths are caused by firearm in each group, a male in the countries examined in Asia is almost as likely to be killed by a knife as a firearm.

Likewise, deaths among European men are about evenly divided between guns and sharp objects, the U.N. reports. While either a gun or a knife is, clearly, a potential murder weapon, there is a correlation between the availability of guns and the lethality of violent crimes, the U.N. writes.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180949953/

Oops, the UN documentation can be found here https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-an ... 11_web.pdf
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 pm

windwalker wrote:
Trick wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:
In European countries there are few shootings because there are few guns.. Who would have thought?!

As I have read, so far this year in my Swedish hometown there has been 10 killings by gunshots, a city of some 300K citizens. They say it’s a record breaking year. 8-)

How many killings by other methods?

the statement that there are fewer killings because there are fewer guns is true. One might compare how many knife killings there are in the US compared to those in European countries. My bet would be less than per capita in European countries.

It is also true that those who do the killings with guns have managed to get what they're not supposed to have

After the fall of Soviet Union, but especially after the Yugoslav war huge numbers of weapons(guns, grenades) came in circulation around in Europe. Sweden yes is a country with fewer(legal) guns.
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 am

Steve James wrote:Fwiw, if you're providing, it's gonna be your wife who has the final say on when you have kids. Did you ever see Three Days of the Condor? One agent gives a whistleblower some advice. Putting into the context of a marriage ... "One evening you will come home and the lights will be low, candles will be lit, soft music will be playing, and maybe a few bottles of wine. Next thing you know, ... you'll be going to Lamaze classes. :)

Haha, she definitely has the final say, yes.. Since we are waiting for her to improve her English and receive US citizenship (and get some money in the bank) sooner would be better. Then in several years we can run off to some far flung location again. Or at least regularly travel.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Trick wrote:Apparently there is an Prison-“Kung-Fu” style called Jailhouse Rock or 52 Blocks - “https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailhouse_rock_(fighting_style)”

I new a guy who spent some a long time in prison gangs and he swore by krav magav.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 pm

In European countries there are few shootings because there are few guns.. Who would have thought?!

Obviously the rate of police murdered in the US is higher which RT (as usual) leaves out yet as they also point out there are often people killed by police in the US who are unarmed but the police believed that they were a threat. In fact this is why I find the recent shooting by a civilian who was pushed in Florida so disturbing because now (some believe) that you have the right to shoot somebody simply because you believe they are a threat to you.

Essentially the mentality (as you know) in the States is not the same in much of the developed world.

From RT which loves division in the US, but from what I have seen and heard from living in Europe it seems consistent.

Watch "US police killed more people in March than UK did in 20th century – report" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/xkX-UybXo_I
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan