Book review: Internal body mechanics by Ken Gullette

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Book review: Internal body mechanics by Ken Gullette

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Yeah, but if one wear an Yin/Yang Taiji-suit it’s on an deeper level..............But seriously, it’s used on a deeper level......Sink the Qi
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 am

Trick wrote:Yeah, but if one wear an Yin/Yang Taiji-suit it’s on an deeper level..............But seriously, it’s used on a deeper level......Sink the Qi

When we speak about yi, qi, jin or even just “breath” in Tai Chi, we must understand what they mean in the Tai Chi specific context, how the terms are understood, used and practiced in Tai Chi specifically. Speaking about that other arts has this or that is pointless.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 am

Agree, in Taijiquan(IMA’s) the practice is on another level. Now there might be teachings at an advanced level of let’s say Karate that have the depth of let’s say Xingyiquan, I’m not sure there is, but I keep my eyes open just because it’s interesting to do so.
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 am

Sorry OP for derailing in to the Internal vs External.......Just read the review, I had no idea who Ken Gullette was, never heard of him before. But from your review he seem as an knowledgeable Taijiquan teacher, and his book a good one to recommend for beginners and perhaps intermediate students..
Trick

Postby marvin8 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 am

Bhassler wrote:. . . Sparring video posted a year ago. Nothing in it is obviously "internal" or not "internal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN0ip2xqOG4.

I agree.

When it comes to Ken's sparring/fighting video, there is no obvious difference in body mechanics or effects on an opponent between Ken and any other good external fighter.

Correction: A good external fighter tends to sit down on his punches (load the rear hip then shift the weight to the front hip punching into the opponent) to generate power using ground force and kua. Ken seems to be straightening his knees with foot raised off the ground while he's punching, using less kua (or dantian) and ground force.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan