Bagua Circle Walking

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bagua Circle Walking

Postby johnwang on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Why does the Bagua circle walking start from the leading leg,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5NVm9 ... e=youtu.be

and not start from the back leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprpiRb ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Bagua Circle Walking

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

I only learned the circle-walking as part of my swordsmanship, but it is the same for unarmed fighting. I was taught to initiate the walking with both lead and rear feet. In actual fencing it's rare for me to take more than two steps, but admittedly, circle-walking is one of the last things that I learned and I still have work to do on it, but my Master didn't use more than two or three steps either. I prefer to initiate with the lead or rear whilst using different techniques.

The true benefit that one gets from this training, however, is improved power from the core, especially Hengjin.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 pm

is there some assumption in CMA that everyone puts their strong (right usually) side forward? like with a one-handed weapon?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 am

everything wrote:is there some assumption in CMA that everyone puts their strong (right usually) side forward? like with a one-handed weapon?

To line up your back foot with your opponent's feet has many advantages. If you move leading leg first, you will miss that advantage.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm

johnwang wrote:Why does the Bagua circle walking start from the leading leg,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5NVm9 ... e=youtu.be

and not start from the back leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprpiRb ... e=youtu.be

While I don't think it matters since you're cycling your feet, your own clip answered your question. You took a step with your lead foot to get close enough first before stepping with your back foot.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 pm

.Q. wrote:While I don't think it matters since you're cycling your feet, your own clip answered your question. You took a step with your lead foot to get close enough first before stepping with your back foot.

That first step is forward movement and not sideway movement. Try not to cross your legs while your opponent's leg can reach to your leg is the key.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm

johnwang wrote:
.Q. wrote:While I don't think it matters since you're cycling your feet, your own clip answered your question. You took a step with your lead foot to get close enough first before stepping with your back foot.

That first step is forward movement and not sideway movement. Try not to cross your legs while your opponent's leg can reach to your leg is the key.

Just because you train to step while the body is twisted doesn't mean you have to twist your body while using it. CW trains various useful components including the forward step so you can use it to go toward the center of the circle if you want. You're not trying to actually do the full circle walk against your opponent. Also, what constitutes a 'start' is not necessarily fixed. "Start" and "End" can be interchangeable depending on your frame of reference, especially since you're going in a cycle.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 pm

That example of circle walking (top) is not really typical for practice (in my experience).

Normally circle walking is not too different from John's example; normally there is not clear crossing of the legs like the first video.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Oh, I didn't even see the second video. Yes, that is what it looks like in use 90% of the time.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:00 am

everything wrote:is there some assumption in CMA that everyone puts their strong (right usually) side forward? like with a one-handed weapon?

One of my teachers said, practice your “weak” side twice as much......When it comes to the Chinese sword and sabre practice the opposite hand formation balances it up, actually in western fencing practice the “empty” hand and the whole arm keeps in positions that works as an balancing up, at least in the beginning stages.
Trick

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan