interview with Strider Clark--August 2018

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: interview with Strider Clark--August 2018

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 am

Aqui wrote:

I don't want to sound (too ;) ) stupid, but could you explain to me how armswings create connection and energy flow?
Is it by opening the joints or stretching the tendons...?

It's not a stupid question as there are many different ways to do arm swings. From a Tongbei perspective, it should be about using movement connected from the back and the spine, and not only let the arms relax. You must learn to initiate movement from muscles close to the spine. For example, you can see how he press his whole shoulder blade back as he raises his arm in the beginning. In the second exercise he stretches his whole arm forward from the scapula as he swings it. If you know what to look at, you will see it.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: interview with Strider Clark--August 2018

Postby vagabond on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 am

I can't tell you how the arm swings do their magic, but I can tell you if you do them wrong you'll know when your shoulders hurt, and if you're doing them right you can use that feeling to learn proper posture for standing and for hitting trees without wrecking your own shit

We have 9 standing posts in our tong bei, I don't think their available to the public and I don't know that's secrecy or just, everyone who needs to know knows already. I know my teacher showed me San to pretty early as he felt you get more juice for your squeeze
vagabond
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan