Where to Buy Chinese Swords..?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Where to Buy Chinese Swords..?

Postby .Q. on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Have to say the pic of the world's largest Miaodao makes me wonder if that thing can be considered a Miaodao? Isn't it somewhat a distinguishing feature that a Miaodao is slim?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Thank you for the offer, but I am of the opinion that the original Dadao were cheap, functional tools and I don't want to buy anything expensive. These swords are great in that I can afford to treat them harshly and they can be wielded one or two-handed and are the correct weight and length. After I polish it I expect that it will be plenty sharp as well.. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 pm

.Q. wrote:

Have to say the pic of the world's largest Miaodao makes me wonder if that thing can be considered a Miaodao? Isn't it somewhat a distinguishing feature that a Miaodao is slim?

I didn't even see that until now. Some of the pictures and videos on the site are very suspect, indeed..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Cool that you've found something usable. The Cold Steel products are usually very sturdy. Fwiw, I have a Cold Steel sword (cutting jian) as well.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:43 pm

There are a lot of choices for Jian, as it seems like there is more interest. The Dao, in contrast, are seen as barbarian tools, yet were what was used to win many a battle (amongst spears and other weapons). If a better, also cheap Dadao presents itself further down the line I may be intrigued, but there is a lot to be said for a good-value, functional tool.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan