Where to Buy Chinese Swords..?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Where to Buy Chinese Swords..?

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Since leaving China and having the space to have things and private places to train with live blades I was wondering if any of you know where I can purchase Chinese blades. I'm looking for a sabre that can be held with one or two hands (so it shouldn't be too heavy either) and will survive the rigours of test-cutting. Any ideas? If not I'll probably buy a Cold Steel Chisa Katana, since the Chinese War Sword seems too heavy and top-heavy to wield one-handed.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Where to Buy Chinese Swords..?

Postby wiesiek on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 am

Try to buy via Scott Rodell school.
Quite well weighted and not bad blade, had to change the handle, dough
I got jian, but they had all that jazz in stock when I was lookin` for one ,
they ordered it in China anyway :)

https://www.grtc.org/
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 pm

+1 for Rodell. I met the man a couple of times. He seems quite honest and his trading company has been around for years.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes, I got Scott's cutting straight sword (his design), good quality for the price, and perfect service, when I encountered customs problems. His wife answered my emails immediately, solving all problems.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks guys, but I am looking for a good value Dao and not a Jian or an antique.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Call Rodell’s shop. I’m sure they can get you one. It’s just not a high demand item.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 am

Scott is also about to sell a cutting dao, designed by himself, should be available at the end of the year!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Any idea if it can be wielded with one AND two hands? :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 pm

No idea, but his cutting sword has a rather long handle, maybe a so-called 1 1/2-hander. Could be that his dao turns out the same way.

You really could contact him, he also does custom made. He and his wife are very friendly, always willing to help.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Have you ever gone to http://swordforum.com/forums/ ?

Imo, a lot depends on what you want to do with the weapon. Do you want a dao for cutting, training forms, sparring, or/and for appreciation of its authenticity? Do you care if it's something you can keep for life, or will it simply be a tool. Of course, it can be all those things or just one. I say that because you might want to invest in having one made for you by a swordsmith. It could be Rodell's work. I don't know about his daos, but I have his cutting jian. Right, it can be used with two hands.

A custom sword will certainly cost more, but if you like it and keep it for a few decades, it's well worth the cost. I was going to say take a look here at Angelswords https://www.angelswords.com/chinese-swords/
Daniel Watson is a long time tcc practitioner (or used to be) who even had a National Geographic or History program dedicated to him (and his search to produce true damascus steel). Anyway, the swords he makes are guaranteed fully for life. I'm not even sure he's making or selling daos, so it might not matter anyway --and it'd be expensive. My main point is that there are swordsmiths out there who will make you exactly what you want.

If you want a 20th century style, Cold Steel makes what they call a Chinese battle sword --that (iinm) attempts to imitate the Da Dao of the 29th Army used in WW2.

You'll be able to get a lot of ideas at Swordforum. Ask there, if you haven't already.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm

That appears to be a great find, Tom! Their Yanmaodao or Handao may be an option and the price is right too. Have you ever used any of their blades for test cutting? Will they hold up? Thank you! ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:No idea, but his cutting sword has a rather long handle, maybe a so-called 1 1/2-hander. Could be that his dao turns out the same way.

You really could contact him, he also does custom made. He and his wife are very friendly, always willing to help.

That sounds interesting. I'll wait and see how it turns out. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Steve James wrote:Have you ever gone to http://swordforum.com/forums/ ?

Imo, a lot depends on what you want to do with the weapon. Do you want a dao for cutting, training forms, sparring, or/and for appreciation of its authenticity? Do you care if it's something you can keep for life, or will it simply be a tool. Of course, it can be all those things or just one. I say that because you might want to invest in having one made for you by a swordsmith. It could be Rodell's work. I don't know about his daos, but I have his cutting jian. Right, it can be used with two hands.

A custom sword will certainly cost more, but if you like it and keep it for a few decades, it's well worth the cost. I was going to say take a look here at Angelswords https://www.angelswords.com/chinese-swords/
Daniel Watson is a long time tcc practitioner (or used to be) who even had a National Geographic or History program dedicated to him (and his search to produce true damascus steel). Anyway, the swords he makes are guaranteed fully for life. I'm not even sure he's making or selling daos, so it might not matter anyway --and it'd be expensive. My main point is that there are swordsmiths out there who will make you exactly what you want.

If you want a 20th century style, Cold Steel makes what they call a Chinese battle sword --that (iinm) attempts to imitate the Da Dao of the 29th Army used in WW2.

You'll be able to get a lot of ideas at Swordforum. Ask there, if you haven't already.

I never got any replies on that forum. I don't think that the Chinese swordsmanship forum is active.. :-\

I'm also too poor to afford an expensive sword... :'(
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

I ended up buying the Cold Steel Chinese War Sword Machete: https://www.coldsteel.com/products/mach ... chete.html

The length, weight and balance are perfect for our swordsmanship. I bought mine for only 56$, but the real Dadao were not works of art and designed for one thing only; to cut down enemies. The only problem is that the blade is not extremely sharp, but I've already ordered a set of whet stones, so that isn't a problem. 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:30 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:I ended up buying the Cold Steel Chinese War Sword Machete: https://www.coldsteel.com/products/mach ... chete.html

The length, weight and balance are perfect for our swordsmanship. I bought mine for only 56$, but the real Dadao were not works of art and designed for one thing only; to cut down enemies. The only problem is that the blade is not extremely sharp, but I've already ordered a set of whet stones, so that isn't a problem. 8-)

If you want I can put you in touch with a friend of mine in San Francisco who has a big collection of real authentic Chinese swords and also might know where to get Chinese weapontry that might help you in what you're looking for. The connection would be on WeChat.

He might know of other groups in the US specializing in usage and practice. Or one of his teachers, Wong Jack man, retired might.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan