None effective CMA technique

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: None effective CMA technique

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:24 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I’m not really sure about what you’re talking about but the conditioning and flexibility is for being able to pull the palm/ back of your hand out of the way so that it’s only the wrist/ end of the forearm that’s hitting the opponent. So it’s for strengthening the wrists. A thick (about 1/4”) layer of flesh will also develop to protect the wrist bones.

Is this meant to be used as a straight “punch” ? Anyway it sound a bit of a stretch to work on bending(stretching) the wrist to “impossible” bending to form a weapon that might(not) one day be used if being hooligan bullied.....The upward or sideways strikes with the hooked hand I described in previous post would be hitting with the forearm bones, I can see this workable without any crazy impossible(longtime?)practice work needed beforehand. Not a knockout strike, but could be a stunner to set up for a grand final blow 8-)
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 am

you know ,Trick, as far as I know Chinese Teachers posses plenty of weird , hmm, - ability .

What about touchin` shin bone by your toes? :o
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 am

wiesiek wrote:What about touchin` shin bone by your toes? :o

Is that possible? Unless it’s the shinbone on the opposite leg :) Yeah, there’s some weird training stuff going on in some East Asian martial arts. But then of course TJQ and standing practice and Qigong stuff probably also seem weird to most onlooker.
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am

I personally didn`t meet the guy, but Jarek`s teacher can do it /on the same leg ! -argh- -dropjaw- /
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Trick, as a wrote in my initial post, the normal way is using it laterally, where the punch with the wrist is considered straight. But the conditioning could certainly benefit both.

Ma Gui had my teacher also do ‘board running’, where you lean a board against the wall and run forward up it and then backwards, down to the ground. Repeat. Gradually increase the angle of the board to stretch calves and tendons until toes can touch the shins. I’m not sure that my teacher got there, but seeing his feet about 45 degrees to his shins was kinda crazy. Ankle flexibility to the side was another thing. He could stand straight up out of butterfly and still stand there with the soles of his feet pressed against one another. In the two portraits of DHC you can see that he was always stretching his ankles in one foot, or the other, when he was sitting down.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Of course ankle flexibility and strength to a certain degree is good to prevent injury if taking a miss-step. But in the Kung-Fu world there seem to be some stuff that would at best/worst fit as party tricks
Trick

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 am

Trick wrote:Of course ankle flexibility and strength to a certain degree is good to prevent injury if taking a miss-step. But in the Kung-Fu world there seem to be some stuff that would at best/worst fit as party tricks

You might better served as to looking at why someone would want to invest the time and what they derive from it.

would this also be a party trick?

http://kuo-lien-ying-taichi.org/blogger ... eBio2.html

Yang Pan-hou told Wang Jiao-Yu that if he could put his chin to his toe in the chin-to-toe exercise within 100 days, he would teach Wang Jiao-Yu. And succeed Jiao-Yu did. Since Wang Jiao-Yu was a Han, Yang Pan-hou took Wang Jiao-yu as his student and trained him in the secret Guang Ping style, and made him promise not to teach this art as long as the dynasty was in power.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 am

But that is chin to toe, not toe to shin
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 am

windwalker wrote:
Trick wrote:Of course ankle flexibility and strength to a certain degree is good to prevent injury if taking a miss-step. But in the Kung-Fu world there seem to be some stuff that would at best/worst fit as party tricks

You might better served as to looking at why someone would want to invest the time and what they derive from it.

would this also be a party trick?

http://kuo-lien-ying-taichi.org/blogger ... eBio2.html

Yang Pan-hou told Wang Jiao-Yu that if he could put his chin to his toe in the chin-to-toe exercise within 100 days, he would teach Wang Jiao-Yu. And succeed Jiao-Yu did. Since Wang Jiao-Yu was a Han, Yang Pan-hou took Wang Jiao-yu as his student and trained him in the secret Guang Ping style, and made him promise not to teach this art as long as the dynasty was in power.

Also from that page -
Every day, when I was learning the form, Sifu always told me to shave my head. When I discussed this with my trusted friend, Carl Mack, he suggested that I try it; that if I didn’t like it I could let my hair grow back. It would also get Sifu off my back. With Carl’s encouragement, I decided to shave my head once I completed learning the set. That evening, I asked my neighbor if he would do the honors. He wanted me to be sure since he knew how much I loved my hair. There would be no turning back. I was sure. He started down the center of my head. It was parallel to the birth of my training in Tai Chi. When I began Tai Chi, it started in the center of my soul. When Sifu came out the next morning, it was shock and awe. He was so surprised and pleased, he showed me off as students arrived to class. He pointed to my head and would say “beautiful”. Like practicing my Tai Chi, I have not missed a day of shaving my head in 36 years.
not sure it would go as a party trick though, 8-)
Trick

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:07 am

johnwang wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:So if I'm tracking this argument correctly here...

You're saying that a technique isn't effective unless it's lethal?

If you can knock your opponent out in one strike, your opponent will have no chance to hurt you after that. We all try to develop some dependable finish moves through our life time.

When you

- were young, you can still depend on your endurance.
- get older, you have to end your problem quickly.

So this issue is more important for the older people.

Am I the only person in RSF who feels this way?

You're not alone. I am not getting younger, and my training these days centers around achieving the knockout. I figure that I am a peaceful chap, and if a fight develops when I am not looking for one it is a serious enough matter to put the attacker down hard.

The hand form under discussion could conceivably work in a whipping uppercut striking the jaw from underneath, but there are better techniques.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 am

You're not alone. I am not getting younger, and my training these days centers around achieving the knockout. I figure that I am a peaceful chap, and if a fight develops when I am not looking for one it is a serious enough matter to put the attacker down hard.

That's why it's more dangerous to mess with the seniors. They don't have the time to play.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am

Afa "chin to toe" requirements, you have to defend yourself whether you can do that or not. It's the same for splits. Now, if you want to be a TKD champ, you'll need high kicks.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am

Chin to toe might develop a strong ducking Jin ?
Trick

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan