Share your favor solo drill

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Share your favor solo drill

Postby johnwang on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:20 pm

It's not easy to find your favor solo drill that you "enjoy" to repeat over 1000 times. I have tried the

- Xing Yi Pi Quan. But it only contains the arm move without the leg move.
- SC foot sweep. But it only contain the leg move without the arm move.
- long fist block and punch, kick and punch, kick and punch, punch combo. It contains both arm move and leg move. But to repeat too many front kicks may hurt my knee joint.

I just find one that I like.

- Step in right leg, right back fist.
- Slide left leg side way, left hand push to the right.
- Left foot sweep, left hand pull.
- Step in left leg, left arm wrap, right arm head lock with right leg horse back kick.

The application is simple. You

- Push your opponent's leading right arm to jam his own back arm.
- Pull his right shoulder and sweep his right leg.
- While his right leg is still in the air, you land your sweeping leg, step in, and head lock, horse back kick his rooting left leg.

When I drill this on the beach, I don't do it continuously. I'll do this combo drill, walk 6 - 8 steps, and repeat combo drill again. This drill contains both arms move, leg move (but it's easy on the knee joint), and both single leg balance (this is important). It makes my body to feel so good that I want to scream loudly. I haven't decided whether I want to just repeat this on one side, or left and right on both sides. I don't have clip for this yet.

Do you have any favor solo drill that you may like to share here?
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Share your favor solo drill

Postby Trick on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:06 am

I especially like my Tongbeiquan Piquan, it got a nice flowing swing to it. Can be done stationary on the spot, on the spot turning from side to side, stepping forward, backward , diagonally, zig/zag, triangular. This exercise(if done properly relaxed) have an interesting effect in such as it increases the puls while breath is kept normally relaxed that in turn brings on an overall alert focused relaxedness....I can go on for quite some time with this exercise without fatigue. It’s a vertical armswing so I sometime combine it with horizontal “armswing” but then it’s not Piquan. Of course the moves has its martial applications but they are secondary for me, the above mentioned effects are the important ones for me.
Trick

Postby Overlord on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:42 am

I love Fanziquan.

My favorite move is 鬼拉鑽
Later people change it too 人拉鑽

鬼拉鑚 鬼拉鑽 天下把式打一半
Overlord

Postby Greg J on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:51 pm

johnwang wrote:
I just find one that I like.

- Step in right leg, right back fist.
- Slide left leg side way, left hand push to the right.
- Left foot sweep, left hand pull.
- Step in left leg, left arm wrap, right arm head lock with right leg horse back kick.

Hi John,

When you have a moment, would you mind posting a video of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing it, and it sounds like a great solo drill.

Thanks and take care,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby dspyrido on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:47 pm

I like repetition through variety which is why I like "shadow boxing/wrestling/fighting". Visualising attacks and counters as patterned and random drills has been really helpful to improve reaction and agility.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Greg J wrote:When you have a moment, would you mind posting a video of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing it, and it sounds like a great solo drill.

I don't have the whole clip now. The 1st move is a "foot sweep". I take the front kick out because I think too many reps may hurt the knee joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8TImN ... e=youtu.be

The 2nd move is an "arm wrap head lock with horse back kick". After the left leg sweep, you land your left sweeping leg forward, left arm wrap, right arm head lock, and right leg horse back kick.

- The sweep is a forward leg motion that stretch the back part of the leg.
- The horse back kick is a backward leg motion that stretch the front part of the leg.

Both are easy on the knee joint and balance the force. All the arm moves are soft and easy on the elbow joint too.

All my solo drills require to stand on single leg. This way, I can maintain my single leg balance ability for the rest of my life. Solo drills that's stand on both legs just don't give me enough balance challenge.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Overlord wrote:I love Fanziquan.

My favorite move is 鬼拉鑽

鬼拉鑚 鬼拉鑽 天下把式打一半

Are you talking about the kick, punch combo? The only concern is if you repeat this drill 1000 times (or 500 times, or 200 times, or, ...), it may be bad for your knee joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6TyKHH4K2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MU8qqB ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AT5NA ... e=youtu.be
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm

johnwang wrote:
Overlord wrote:I love Fanziquan.

My favorite move is 鬼拉鑽

鬼拉鑚 鬼拉鑽 天下把式打一半

Are you talking about the kick, punch combo? The only concern is if you repeat this drill 1000 times (or 500 times, or 200 times, or, ...), it may be bad for your knee joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6TyKHH4K2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MU8qqB ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AT5NA ... e=youtu.be

Hi John,

Not exactly the same. But this is how it looks like, or similar ~
https://www.facebook.com/tengyouken/vid ... 257691911/

For some reason, Fanzi and Changquan had different interpretation on this.
Let’s abandon the form and focus on the meaning behind the form.
Overlord

Postby johnwang on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 pm

If you remove partner from this partner drill, it can be a good solo drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHNK_7a ... e=youtu.be
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:39 pm

May be most of the RSF members only train forms and don't train drills (I don't train form any more). I like to run 4 miles on the beach 3 times weekly. I just increased my running distance from 3 miles to 4 miles. After running and on the way back, I like to do some solo drills to relax. I did the following 10 solo drills today of 40 reps each.

1. XingYi Pi Chuan,
2. long fist running punch,
3. inside crescent ick,
4. outside crescent kick,
5. swing leg over head,
6. swing leg behind the back,
7. bear hug, double outer hooks,
8. foot sweep, head lock horse back kick,
9. mirror stance double inner hooks,
10. uniform stance, double inner hooks.

Only 1 and 2 have both legs on the ground. 3 - 10 all require single leg balance. Any comment?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm

John -
Ever since learning the drill/throw/form from you it is also my favorite drill.
I do it when edging the lawn and mowing the lawn - I will devastate someone some day with this.
I like it especially because the follow step to first sweep purpose to get your COG directly under
the opponent and then take out that standing leg.
roger hao

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm

As we have discussed before, single leg balance is a vital martial arts skill to retain as we get older. I do not think it is going too far to say it is the most important one. If you cannot walk without falling down you will have a miserable old age. I include one footed zz in my basic essentials for that reason.

I have abandoned forms too; my reason is that I learned some things that I don't quite understand. Why does this move follow that one? Why do we go zig-zag-zag in this place in the form, instead of zig-zag-zig? The man who taught me the form wasn't sure either. Doubtless, the one who made up the form knew, but various details like that have been lost to time. But if I am practicing single moves and combinations that have obvious combat usefulness, I am clear on what I am doing and why.

My favorites:
American: One-two
Chinese: Doubled gow choy (pao chui)

It may be that I have a one-track mind.

I also regularly practice Golden Chicken as a multi-purpose thing. It can block kicks, it can be a knee kick, and it sets up an inward sweep at ankle level or knee level.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 pm

klonk wrote:But if I am practicing single moves and combinations that have obvious combat usefulness, I am clear on what I am doing and why.

This is how I look at CMA too. It's better to create something that make sense to you than to repeat other's creation that you don't fully agree with. This is how I create "uniform stance, double inner hooks" combo drill.

- When I use my right hand to pull my opponent's guard down by pulling down his right arm, his right elbow can borrow my pulling force and strike me. I need to use my left hand to control his right elbow joint.
- When I push my left hand against his right elbow joint, I can use his right arm to jam his own back arm. This also free my right hand.
- When I use my right hand to push on his neck, both of my hands are busy. I can use my left leg to hook up his right leg.
- If I let my left hand to catch his right leg, I can use my right leg to hook his left standing leg and take him down.

When I train something like this, I know I have considered every single detail.
johnwang
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan