Kwan Um Do Kwang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Kwan Um Do Kwang

Postby Finny on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:48 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:Well, when you say that I have no idea what I am looking at or talking about I'd say that that is far from polite..

Agreed. Maybe consider that you seem to receive impolite responses here more than anyone else? Why is that?

MaartenSFS wrote:You may not have used those words, but your stance is clear.

I never left the topic. My original advice holds true for any type of martial art, whether armed or unarmed or armoured or unarmoured. Without fencing/sparring it is just LARPing.

You have no idea what my 'stance' is. If you engaged in productive conversation you might have. Instead you did what you've done for the couple of years you've been on the forum - blundered into a topic you clearly have very little understanding of and proclaimed your own authority.

My original assessment holds true - you have no idea what you'r talking about. Like Wiesiek - I'd advise you to actually go and learn some real swordsmanship.. but I understand you've already invented your own superior art over the past year. If you think studying an historical sword art is 'LARPing', I wonder what playing tapi-tap with foam sticks is? Children's playground games?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Invented my own art? Tappy tap? Wow.. You are seriously delusional. Anyways, if you don't fence it is LARPing. If that's your cup of tea, have at it. Productive conversation? You have been nothing but elitist about your Japanese art since the beginning and shitting on my art. Some people on this forum are impolite because they can't possibly confront reality. My advice to Wiesiek is to fence/spar. I never proclaimed any other authority. Over the past several years I have fenced more than most will in their lives. I did so every day for hours with a proper master - a living tradition. Even now I fence for three hours straight once a week. I can guarantee you that if we were to cross blades with real swords I'd be far better prepared than you would be. Or sticks. Or baseball bats. Or golf clubs. Or canes. You will never understand the nuances of combat without fencing at full speed/contact. NEVER.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Maarten, now after having your own sword/fencing school/style and being a master of it have you entered any competition yet ? I would think if one is doing it all just for the combat sake, entering fight competitions would be the proofing of ones combat skill in today’s world, at least that’s what many think ?
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 am

jaime_g wrote:Ok. I hadnt seen the video ???

No further questions needed, he is terrible

:)
geat,
really, thank you jaime
now i know /theoretically so far /, why any of contemporary swords Master/s/ didn`t try Kim`s ability /after semi-official 1st try in real /,
and
from now on, Kim is The Master Kim in my mind...

-bow-

when I will try his h2h combat approach I will dare to comment more.

explanation:
during my over 50 years of MA trainings/quest I was moped more than once by different style/s/ teachers and Masters,
but
always after some short or longer struggles, however only twice in my life I experienced something extraordinary:
1st time it was meting with Soe San Nim
2nd time with my Master Tenga Rinpoche

best
W
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 am

Trick wrote:Maarten, now after having your own sword/fencing school/style and being a master of it have you entered any competition yet ? I would think if one is doing it all just for the combat sake, entering fight competitions would be the proofing of ones combat skill in today’s world, at least that’s what many think ?

I would like to at some point. There's not much around here. I fenced with a local HEMA instructor with 8 years of Olympic fencing and 8 years of HEMA experience and did very well, despite not having trained for over three months and out of shape. With regular training and fencing I'm now back up to and beyond the level I was when I graduated in China. i
I want to go back one of these days, but I'm too busy with work.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 am

here is just born Polish page:

http://kwanumdokwang.pl/

somebody was nice and did it,
so
we will be able to put our efforts on clips here to, shortly/?/
and
jaime and Finny could give me some frendly kick , I hope :)
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 am

Yesterday I`ve been introduced to the "unfolding hands" technique.
`cause it is base of the system I would like to report it.
Suppose, that everybody remember CXW demo when he is resisting wrestler and crowd "push/pressing,
and he seems to be >unmovable<.
I don`t know how technique used is named in TJ, but in KUDK is called "unfolding hands".
How you do it?
Quite simple - by spreading qi from the DT thru the whole body... :)
anyway, for using it in "real live" I need some more practice.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:16 am

below is copy of the foreword from the book "Shim Gum Do - Sword of Zen":
..."In 1971 the Founding Master toured Japan with his teacher, Seung Sahn and visited temples and martial art centers giving demonstrations of Shim Gum Do. In
Osaka, a dramatic confrontation took place when he visited a Kendo Club composed of 300 black belt members. Soen Sa Nim, who spoke fluent Japanese,
introduced and explained Shim Gum Do followed by a slow, powerful demonstration by the Founding Master of the first sword form. The president of the school, who knew little of sword, hoped to prove the superiority of Japanese Kendo and so asked if the Korean Master would free-fight. Soen Sa Nim, worried
about this confrontation, turned to his student and asked urgently what he could do about this challenge. The Founding Master, who had never free-fought in his
life, calmly accepted the proposal to duel and asked politely to be matched with a fourth or fifth Dan Master. In Kendo, fourth and fifth Dans practice a lot of free-
fighting and higher ranking Masters can only be challenged if their student is first defeated. One Kendo Master stepped forth and obtaining permission from his
teacher to duel, left the choice of weapons to the Korean visitor, who requested wooden swords and no armor. This unconventional and dangerous choice
heightened tension and interest in the confrontation. The tall Japanese Master held his sword straight in front of his body with the
tip slanting slightly forward. Chang Sik Kim had never seen Kendo before and was amazed at how his opponent managed to make such a narrow target by
pulling his shoulders together to compress his chest. He looked straight into the Kendo Master’s eyes and was met with an animal ferocity which glared back at
him. “You do not understand Sword yet,” the Founding Master thought to himself, realizing that lack of expression means calm and self-assurance. They
stared at each other unmoving for five minutes when Chang Sik Kim interrupted to ask what the rules were concerning the parts of the body open for attack. His
opponent declared that there were no rules and any part of the body was a target. They resumed eye contact but soon the Founding Master realized that they had
not bowed to each other yet so he let his sword bow, lowering the tip until it nearly touched the ground. He did not realize that in Kendo such a gesture is an
insult and his move taunted the Japanese Master who let loose with a lightening downward slash of his sword. The duelers passed by each other and turned to face off again. All at once, the entire school of black belts bowed down in unison and someone had to motion for the bewildered Kendo Master to sit down. He was informed that he had been cut six times across the back by the Korean Master. Chang Sik Kim then approached the Seventh Dan Head Master and asked him for the honor of a duel but the Head Master declined saying that he was unable to match such skill and declared that the Korean Shim Gum Do Master was the fastest swordsman in the world, faster even than Miamoto Musashi who is revered as Kendo’s founding father. The entire school body bowed to their honored guest and when he returned to his dressing room, he found scores of Kendo students lined up, each holding a piece of his clothing, anxious to be close to him and have the honor of serving him. When Zen Master Seung Sahn and the Founding Master returned to Korea, a ceremony was held at the Hwa Gye Sa to formally proclaim the art of Shim Gum Do and announce that Chang Sik Kim was its founder. Prominent Buddhist Masters and teachers from all over Korea attended the event and watched a demonstration of the revived temple art. ..."

End the story , I would like to add, - that second Seung Sahn`s prophecy is, that art of Shim Gum Do will be lost again with Kim`s death...
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:45 am

Just a Petitesse remark, but Kendokas do use the Kyu/Dan ranking but does not wear belts such as black belts
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 am

The Korean master was living in Korea ? In Korea there is a lot of Kendo.
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 am

A couple of days ago I watched the movie ‘Remo Williams’. Quite a cool movie, one can possible learn about evasion tactics from it....The master is also Korean(actually an westerner make upped as an East Asian(Korean) ).....A cool movie
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 am

they/kendokas do not wears belts, but using the "ranks"
funny, it Korean style and master, but main temple is in the Boston
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 am

wiesiek