Guo Yun Shen's half step crashing fist

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Guo Yun Shen's half step crashing fist

Postby Yeung on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:10 am

Guo Yun Shen’s half step crashing fist was developed when he was wrongfully sentence to prison for three years. In these three years he was chained to an iron ball to restrict his movement. He continued to practice his Xingyiquan by dragging the iron ball chained to his leg. His half step crashing fist can be described as a vertical reverse punch dragging his rear leg half a step forward behind the front leg, and a vertical lead punch taken half a step forward utilizing the recoiling effect of the reverse punch. The power it generated is by utilizing the wrist, elbow, shoulder, back, abdomen, and thigh muscles together with the recoil resulted from the preceding lead punch. I think this was a very important breakthrough to do away the teaching of contracting the pelvic floor muscles, as this will restricting the movement of the hip which connecting the torso and footwork. I think this should be explained when people stared to learn the 5 element fists set, otherwise they will have difficulties in doing the linking form and subsequently the 5 element two person duet according to the tradition of Sun Lutang who was a grand student of Guo Yun Shen.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Guo Yun Shen's half step crashing fist

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:26 am

Wasn’t he also covered in tar and feathers and from there combined chicken and friction step ?........Yeah of course dragging a leg chained to a heavy iron ball a full step would be more strenuous and the ball would probably roll here and there being in the way, so dragging that ball just a little keeping it behind would probably be preferred, so no full stepping....But having the back leg to follow up a little is also done while doing the full step in any of the fists and probably have nothing to do with being locked up and chained to an iron ball...I would more go for his combined half step aobu and shunbu BQ was due to the small “practice” space an jail cell would be....I have no idea how jail cells are and was in China, if one have ones own or share with a couple of inmates. If the latter he could have had sparring partners and from this he refined his BQ
Trick

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:44 am

I thought the story was about his feet being shackled together, severely limiting the distance of a step. Never heard anything about an iron ball.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My story is the story of a raging Christ figure who tore himself off the cross and with blood in eyes looked up at the Romans and said “My turn cocksuckers.”

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:21 pm

No it was about the ball n chain. Such a ball will not roll unless the force yanking it is greater than its inherent weight.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I thought the story was about his feet being shackled together, severely limiting the distance of a step. Never heard anything about an iron ball.

Jet Li did that in "The One".
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Yeah that was based on the actual story.

This snippet from an article about Guo, says leg iron shackles (jiao tie kao). Where the iron ball is tieqiu jiao kao (iron ball leg shackle.

郭云深先生虽身陷囹圄仍每日苦练形意功夫,由于项上有枷、脚上铁铐的缘故,打拳只能迈出半步、即便如此他仍每日苦练不辍,如此竟练成惊世绝技——半步崩拳。后来郭云深名扬大江南北,以“半步崩拳打遍天下”而名震神州。
My story is the story of a raging Christ figure who tore himself off the cross and with blood in eyes looked up at the Romans and said “My turn cocksuckers.”

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
D_Glenn wrote:I thought the story was about his feet being shackled together, severely limiting the distance of a step. Never heard anything about an iron ball.

Jet Li did that in "The One".

Isn’t this also a thing in boxing, but rope instead of chain&shackles ? 8-) At least in Rocky3(?)he practiced with his legs “tied up”, something about footwork.
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Trick wrote: something about footwork.

Not telegraphing ones strikes with big stepping?
Trick

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:06 am

Yeung wrote: I think this was a very important breakthrough to do away the teaching of contracting the pelvic floor muscles, as this will restricting the movement of the hip which connecting the torso and footwork. I think this should be explained when people stared to learn the 5 element fists set, otherwise they will have difficulties in doing the linking form and subsequently the 5 element two person duet according to the tradition of Sun Lutang who was a grand student of Guo Yun Shen.

I never knew that Guo style Xyq advocates not lifting huiyin point. Activating the muscles of the pelvic floor goes hand in hand with having a strong Dantian in every Internal art I practiced, even a little bit of what could be called Liu Qilan style xyq.

So how does Guo style xyq deal with hemorrhoids? Is there a secret family ointment or something?

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

"So how does Guo style xyq deal with hemorrhoids? Is there a secret family ointment something?"

Now THAT is the question this thread has been missing. Thank you. I feel we're complete now. Group hug! -toast-
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 am

I thought you might like that. ;D

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby AL2016 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Yeung do you have a vidéo showing this mouvement ?
AL2016
Anjing

Postby Yeung on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 pm

GrahamB wrote:"So how does Guo style xyq deal with hemorrhoids? Is there a secret family ointment something?"

Now THAT is the question this thread has been missing. Thank you. I feel we're complete now. Group hug! -toast-

The concern should be hernia and prostate problems.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Hui Yin REN-01 is not the same as Wei Lu or Zhang Qiang DU-01, and Sun Lutang did mention the lifting or Wei Lu in his book. He also mentioned the internal lifting of the "Gu Dao" which was translated as anus. But why internal lifting and not external lifting? I think special attention is needed to look into the structure of the functions of the interior sphincter and exterior sphincter.
Yeung
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan