Wei Lei (taiji guy) lost again

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wei Lei (taiji guy) lost again

Postby Rhen on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm

I like Wei Lei better than someone like Adam Mizner. Wei Lei has balls, Adam Mizner has poser expertise.
Rhen

Postby roger hao on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Score -

Wang Zhiliang 368 punches
Wei lei 0 punches
Last edited by roger hao on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger hao

Postby roger hao on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Score -

Wang Zhiliang 368 punches
Wei Lei 0 punches
roger hao

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:59 am

OI,

Jake f''n Mace. Wow, I hadn't thought of that guy in years.

He is living proof that anyone anywhere can find of way of making a living regardless of expertise, or subject matter, given enough effort.

I especially appreciate how all of his demo partners are these emaciated 135lb/60kg man childen who look like they need a taco and a hug. Your average high school wrestler would own this guy and go chug a beer afterwards.

I always figured given the rise of MMA that clowns like this would start keeping a lower profile due to a, correct, fear of getting busted in the face by some random Octogon brosef. Apparently, I am wrong in that assumption. :o
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Peacedog wrote:OI,

He is living proof that anyone anywhere can find of way of making a living regardless of expertise, or subject matter, given enough effort.

I especially appreciate how all of his demo partners are these emaciated 135lb/60kg man childen who look like they need a taco and a hug. Your average high school wrestler would own this guy and go chug a beer afterwards.

I always figured given the rise of MMA that clowns like this would start keeping a lower profile due to a, correct, fear of getting busted in the face by some random Octogon brosef. Apparently, I am wrong in that assumption. :o

It's a gentler time. You can hang up a shingle and claim all kinds of cred with no fear some hot shot little shit is gonna storm you and whoop your ass.

If you never meet anyone with any real talent you can overestimate your own. It's real easy to avoid talented people.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm

The deal with Mace is that I always thought he knew he was a fraud. His supporters just weren't in on the joke.

FYI, the comments under his fighting videos are hilarious.

I'm just waiting for a Tom Green-esque moment where he gets his ass kicked in public by annoying the wrong guy.
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Mace did seem open-minded enough to do some videos with other guys though (like Thad Wong of Liang style bagua). So I dunno... His unique combination of look, athleticism, and positiveness is kind of humorous, though. Gotta admire him for throwing it all away for a new life (South America was it?).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Thad Wong?

I know him from NYC. That's hilarious. I had no idea he had slapped up Mace. Now I like Thad even more.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Yup, that Thad! :D

I enjoyed the videos (they should still be up), especially since I do Liang style, too (neat to compare). The videos improved my opinion of Mace a lot, too! He seemed quite open to learning about other styles.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:49 pm

edededed wrote: Gotta admire him for throwing it all away for a new life (South America was it?).

Looks like he's travelling the world and living on eco-friendly farms with his girlfriend. Not a terrible way to live for a few years.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Strange wrote:

Why post a video and not translate anything that was said.

"Taijji has been changed since the time of its invention to reflect more of an exercise program rather than martial arts even though it's being billed as martial arts."

A friend translated some of what he talked about. Other native speakers might offer a more in depth synopsis.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:43 pm

marvin8 wrote:Here is the actual fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RW9dcsWro

Wei has the cotton but not the steel. It's not his fault. Even in China, lots of people suppose that is how it works.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Peacedog wrote:OI,

or he can be representative of someone who felt passionately about something and followed it, able to make a living from it and exposing others to something they may never have been exposed to.

Do you apply the same assumption to most of what is shown here that's not been tested by MMA or in the octagon.

There are certain less public styles that if one claims to teach them publicly and is not formally associated with the style they may get a knock on the door by those that are.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm

klonk wrote:
Wei has the cotton but not the steel. It's not his fault. Even in China, lots of people suppose that is how it works.

How what works. It's contextual.

For many taiji is viewd through the lens of push-hands. Some will take this drill and attempt to add things to it that they feel are missing, or question why it does not have the things they add to begin with.

They never seem to question why it does not have those things or the premise of the drill.

The Logical follow-up, is to make what was once a drill into a competition. Very limited out of its own context, even against other grappling Styles which some feel its akin to.

Lots of people in China feel that's the way it works .

because that's how they use it to engage with. It's the accepted context in which one demonstrates the skill.

Even for those who operate within this context. They devise ways to win taking advantage of the context.
missing the point of the drill that should enable the art they practice to be functional outside of it.

Most do not find out until they attempt to use it outside of the context they normally practice in/for.

In China me and a friend had terminology for some that we met with in this context.

We called them creepers or leaners. The creepers would step in slightly and continue to step trying to gain an advantage. One of them doing this to my friend ask my friend not to step back as he continued to step in.

It was very funny we both laughed.

the leaners attempt to lean or place their body weight on you. Not understanding that anyone who has any type of grappling skill could automatically take advantage of this.

of course doing so is against the context in which the people are practicing a drill in.

Here in Taiwan. met fellow Foreigner in one of the parks attempting to do a takedown when we were practicing.

It didn't work I asked him what was he doing. He said this is push Hands anything Goes. I asked him to try his Single Leg Takedown again explaining to him why the way he was doing it wouldn't and didn't work.

Along with what he should be working on if he's practicing Push Hands.

All part of the reason I don't practice or care too much for Push Hands but do use it as part of a drill. To focus on different aspects.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan