Swordsmanship Curriculum

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Swordsmanship Curriculum

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:23 am

"Modern fencing is seen as corrupt and lacking the sportsmanship, fine manners, and decency of the classical period,"

Just be aware that when you read things like this you are reading the history written by the victors.

"sportsmanship, fine manners, and decency of the classical period" is usually a complete fabrication created during peace times by the ruling class, and usually bears little relation to the actual usage of martial arts in wartime.

This comes up a lot in my podcast.<OBVIOUS PLUG!>
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:49 am

Agree.

If anyone takes time to read the PDF it's quite interesting as they cover a lot of ground, the differences between modern and classical fencing.

A lot of the same things happend to what are called martial arts for the same reasons as they evolve or devolve for common usage.

This study examines the characteristics of classical and modern fencing to better understand the differences between fencing in the two periods in order to better ground the teaching of classical fencing.

It identifies 7 distinguishing differences between classical fencing, as stated by modern classical fencers, and modern fencing, and 4 broad categories of differences not identified by modern classical fencers that should be considered.

A qualitative content analysis was used as the basis to compare and contrast the classical perspective with the categories identified as meriting further consideration.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rn_Fencing
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:16 am

For the purposes of this study, the classical period extends from approximately 1880 CE to 1939 CE,
Hehe luckily for me the fencing master of club I was enrolled at was of the classical fencing period https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Gargano So I of course have all those fine manners a true fencing warrior possess……But seriously, as I recall the training was quite meticulous and the tools where not treated as fly whiskers it where “swords” we held in hand.……on the other hand there where an jiu jitsu club sharing the facility space, one time a guy got part of his ear cut off when they fooling around with real knife practicing defence against such, they continued with rubber knifes after that, sound decision.
Trick
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan