What if you just train one technique for the next 2 years?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What if you just train one technique for the next 2 years?

Postby AJG on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 am

I like Pi Chuan too because when you know how to do it it feels good and has power.
Then again people said the chopping motions suit me
AJG
Anjing

Postby Trick on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 am

Yes Pi-quan has all Xingyi in it. But to understand that I guess one has to have practiced all the other shapes of Xingyi
Trick

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 am

Trick wrote:Yes Pi-quan has all Xingyi in it. But to understand that I guess one has to have practiced all the other shapes of Xingyi

Don’t know about that really. I understand all of the fick fists, but personally I’ve always been struggling to be able to express a good Jing with Pi. The one I’ve found most easy is Pao. But I still like Taiji Jin better than XY. The XY body method is too strict for my own taste, Taiji mechanics are more intuitive.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 am

I'm struggling to think of a bigger waste of time to be honest.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 am

cloudz wrote:I'm struggling to think of a bigger waste of time to be honest.

You're soaking in it!
:D
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Storm on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:53 pm

In Jigen Ryu Kenjutsu they were suppose to strike a tree with their wooden sword several thousand times a day. As I read their first attack was devastating.and often no second one was needed.
Also thought about such a training and I think it would be a nice try. Why know 50 bad techniques if 2-3 good ones would do the job?
Storm
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Funny, the reason people have fallen for the fallacy of mixed martial art, is because we don’t realize our form is one technique, not the technique in the form. If anyone learned their art they would realize this. Instead every one is chasing the best techniques.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:38 pm

johnwang wrote:Assume you just train one technique for the next 2 years such as "a kick to the knee followed by a punch to the face". If you repeat this combo 2,000 times daily with your partner (about 2 hours), in 2 years you have repeated this 2 x 365 x 2000 = 1,460,000 times.

After you have drilled this move almost 1.5 million times, when you use it against your opponent, your successful rate should be high. IMO, it's worthwhile to spend 2 years of your life time to develop some dependable MA skill so you can use it for the rest of your life.

What's your opinion on this?

Not good. One should train principles/concepts not a "technique."
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm

In that scenario John, you have only trained to be predictable with no idea of the change that may be necessary. If the initial kick is unsuccessful, then the punch to the face is non existent.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Yes Pi-quan has all Xingyi in it. But to understand that I guess one has to have practiced all the other shapes of Xingyi

Don’t know about that really. I understand all of the fick fists, but personally I’ve always been struggling to be able to express a good Jing with Pi. The one I’ve found most easy is Pao. But I still like Taiji Jin better than XY. The XY body method is too strict for my own taste, Taiji mechanics are more intuitive.

My road was long(but I’m never in a hurry anyway), I only began to get a good feel with the elements fists after drilling the animal forms and learning stuff from Tongbeiquan, same with Taijiquan in wich TBQ was at help. That’s how I am, I often need to take some roundabouts before getting to grasp what I’m pursuing. 8-)
Trick

Postby johnwang on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm

That single technique that you have developed in 2 years will be the trunk of a MA tree that you try to grow. For any technique that you have developed, you may find many different ways to

- set it up (tree root),
- finish (tree leafs).
- set up your next technique (tree branches).

Your tree will start to grow. Why take 2 years? Because you want to have a strong tree trunk. You may grow many trees through your life time.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:16 pm

I'd say it's a process. Follow the traditional curriculum, learn and grind the basics, study the technical material, find what fits you most and focus on it but incorporate everything else into it - in fact it _is_ there already. "Everything" else comes out of the trunk, because the trunk has the DNA of all the material you have studied.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Overlord wrote:
Yeung wrote:
Overlord wrote:

Unlike Shang Yunxiang whose Beng is straight line. Guo is 之 shape
Then we have 半步崩拳打天下~

Interesting observation, and have you got a reference to it?

I am no scholar. This knowledge is passed orally by my teacher.
You don’t have to take it seriously. No reference.
For a pragmatic purpose, it’s better to work on our Beng, and test it.
Personally prefer Chicken Beng.

Thank you, and by chicken beng do you mean 金鸡食米 (golden chicken eats rice)?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm

johnwang wrote:That single technique that you have developed in 2 years will be the trunk of a MA tree that you try to grow. For any technique that you have developed, you may find many different ways to

- set it up (tree root),
- finish (tree leafs).
- set up your next technique (tree branches).

Your tree will start to grow. Why take 2 years? Because you want to have a strong tree trunk. You may grow many trees through your life time.

What JW mentions is very traditional

CHAPTER 10 Functioning
Everything takes its own particular form before it can function. The function of a thing is intangible, but the effect
produced is there. Function arises out of form; therefore, the intangible function is the servant of the form, which
is concrete.

A wheel one foot in diameter can cover thousands of miles; this is form in function [i.e. the
functioning of form]. Those who are skillful in making use of function do not find the effect in form (but in the
function itself). . The Way is great and extensive, and cannot be traced. It is like tasting honey which does not
have the qualities of the hundred flowers, but has the taste of the hundred flowers.

The difference is that it has undergone the process of change and assimilation.

Although it is from a form (the flowers), it does not take the resemblance of the form that produces it.

This is called taking in the raw basic material and spewing out the
refined.

http://www.baihepai.com/pak-hok-pai-lio ... -siu-jong/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Jarek wrote:"Everything" else comes out of the trunk, because the trunk has the DNA of all the material you have studied.

Not sure I understand your point. Could you provide more detail on this? Let's use the "left front kick" (trunk) as an example. If you opponent blocks

1. to your right, you will spin to your right and combine with a right spin back fist (branch 1).
2. to your left, you will spin to your left and combine with a right palm strike to the neck (branch 2).
3. downward, you will step in and combine with a left straight punch to the face (branch 3).
4. upward, you will ...

How can spin back fist, palm strike, and straight punch have the DNA of the front kick?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan