Burning Palm from another board

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Burning Palm from another board

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Haoran
Wuji

Re: Burning Palm from another board

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Haoran wrote:http://www.thetaobums.com/Burning-palm-experiment-t7111.html

Seem to be a bunch of Qi huggers and Lin Kong Jin believers there, not my cup of tea.

DZQ.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Who cares. Not interested, don't post.

I'm looking at the burning palm video in the first post of the thread.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Nonsense. Anyone can do that. Don't believe it? Ask a friend to lend you their shoulder. Slap them with full palm. Watch the welt rise. Big deal.

Calling it "burning palm" is egregious.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:03 pm

This video has very little relevance to fighting. I hardly see the point of learning to spend 30 seconds looking for the perfect slap so 2 1/2 minutes later the guy will have a little blister tattoo. I'd rather spend my time learning to crush his spirit, break his bones, and hurt him badly as reliably as possible. I don't think this has much usefulness, and frankly it's not that impressive. I've had handprints on me and put em on other guys that were there for days. One time my teacher did a tsang slap from bagua to my belly that brought tears to my eyes and I could barely sleep that night even after taking a percocet. Oh and that was with me trying to defend and attack him also BTW. Not standing there giving him 30 seconds to stir his jing or whatever.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:10 pm

XiaoXiong wrote:This video has very little relevance to fighting. I hardly see the point of learning to spend 30 seconds looking for the perfect slap so 2 1/2 minutes later the guy will have a little blister tattoo. I'd rather spend my time learning to crush his spirit, break his bones, and hurt him badly as reliably as possible. I don't think this has much usefulness, and frankly it's not that impressive. I've had handprints on me and put em on other guys that were there for days. One time my teacher did a tsang slap from bagua to my belly that brought tears to my eyes and I could barely sleep that night even after taking a percocet. Oh and that was with me trying to defend and attack him also BTW. Not standing there giving him 30 seconds to stir his jing or whatever.
J

well, uhh umm.. Bagua is a martial art that develops palm striking ability isn't it? My teacher taught me how to practice slapping trees but he also told me I must bring the qi and blood to the palms before starting or I'd hurt myself. I'm not as close minded as some I guess. I didn't say this was the end all, just interesting. BTW, isn't Tibetian Lama Burning Palms part of a martial art? I don't know.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Tibetan Lama Burning Palm makes me think of James Lacy. Total fraud.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Dale Dugas wrote:Tibetan Lama Burning Palm makes me think of James Lacy. Total fraud.

How about his teacher Doo Wei (sic?)?
Haoran
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Bagua has a lot of slapping, it's great. The demo is kind of dramatic, but really what use is it. If you can split a stone with your hands or head doesn't mean you can do it to a live opponent. I think it's misguided training. I hit trees, brick walls, whatever I feel like. I don't think about qi at all and I don't think it matters for martial arts at all. I am an internal martial arts guy, and I love the stuff, but this is something else. It's kind of a cool demo on the surface, just kind of a distraction from real martial arts imo. I don't think tricks like this show any kind of tactical martial skill so I don't see the value, except to entertain and distract those who don't know any better.
J
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm

So there's no room for intention in IMA? TCM states where intention goes, qi follows, where qi goes blood follows. I don't think you can take that away from CMAs, no?
Haoran
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Haoran wrote:So there's no room for intention in IMA? TCM states where intention goes, qi follows, where qi goes blood follows. I don't think you can take that away from CMAs, no?

That's no part of anything I said. Intention is everything. If you replace the word qi with intent or mind than we're starting to speak the same language. It's just that people who think about qi seem to be more confused about martial arts than those who think more about the mechanics and geometry of fighting. MMA guys mostly don't give a hoot about cma because this kind of thing is what is representing it to many out there. It's distracting, and confusing about the true nature of chinese internal martial arts to the uninitiated.
J
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Everyone has their own reasons for studying IMA. I just fell into bagua but before that preying mantis I practiced. Amoung my practices are qi building exercises. I don't know how old you are but when you start to get into those years over 40 the body changes and thus perspective changes. Now I'm looking for practices which help keep the body healthy, build qi, open channels, and cirrculate blood. I look to health and healing first, martial arts secondly. Anyway, I think it's necessary to know and practice this side of it. How else can you work on body repair after a night of bone crushing and spirit stomping? ;D

As far as the video in the link above goes, it interested me for a couple of reasons. The second day I was with my taiji teacher, during our qigong segment of the class, he came behind me and lightly placed his palms on my shoulders for about 2 seconds, then walked away. I didn't think anything of it and thought he was correcting my stance. Later, as the class progress, my feet started itching which got stronger and stronger throughout the rest of the class. After class I rushed home and took off my shoes. My feet were swollen and sunburnt red on the tops and bottoms of my feet. Not only there but my scrotum area was affected too. This lasted for over 2 weeks gradually subsiding as time passed.

I like to see anyone here do that.

The next time was in Shanghai. I met my neigong teacher in a park. He had a stomach like a car tire. He told me to hit his stomach with all I have and it was like punching a car tire. He didn't have to Push it out, Bloat it out or whatever. It was just there. He practiced with trees and is a bad sob I'll tell you.

So, what does this have to do with IMA? Well, the neigong guy is self explainatory but the Taiji guy, I'm not sure. But he often said he was so sensitive he could feel the changes in pressure, air pressure, from someone coming up behind him, etc.

The burning palm? I don't know but it seems it's on the same track as the taiji guy above.

I'm very objective. I've seen my share of complete and worthless bull chit but the guys I have come across who's numbers I can count on one hand, have really impressed me.

This is why I keep an open mind in such things.

Best,

Bill
Last edited by Haoran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:47 am

Haoran wrote:
Not only there but my scrotum area was affected too. This lasted for over 2 weeks gradually subsiding as time passed.

I like to see anyone here do that.

that happened to me when i was going out with this really slutty blonde bimbo....
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:48 am

that happened to me when i was going out with this really slutty blonde bimbo....

Slutty blonde bimbo's are Teh d3dly .... they have the ability to inflict injury hours, days even weeks after the initial contact ... :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby chrislomas on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:00 am

The results of this burning palm (or blistering as many shaoliners call it) are replicatable by 99% of people after a couple of hours basic training. We use simiar methods in Splashing Hands blocking. It is also part of basic Zimen training. Useful (because it hurts like hell and usually causes the brain to 'freeze' for a milisecond long enough to get your hits in) but basic IMVHO.
chrislomas
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan