Burning Palm from another board

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Burning Palm from another board

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:16 am

HEy Chris (Lomas that is :))

are you in the UK mate?

cheers

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 am

Yusuf, that's right, ALWAYS the blonde bimbos and NEVER the sweet innocent Goth chicks, eh? Er...

And when are we martial drinking anyway?
Last edited by Martin on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:06 am

i do not know what a 'goth chick' is.. and even the days of blonde bimbos are but a distant memory....

martial drinking good.. ;D
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 am

Instead of looking for TEH ULTIMATE DEADLY technique, I'd stick to practical fighting skills that actually work. Leave the movie/legend stuff alone.
Chris Fleming

Postby Haoran on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 am

chrislomas wrote:The results of this burning palm (or blistering as many shaoliners call it) are replicatable by 99% of people after a couple of hours basic training. We use simiar methods in Splashing Hands blocking. It is also part of basic Zimen training. Useful (because it hurts like hell and usually causes the brain to 'freeze' for a milisecond long enough to get your hits in) but basic IMVHO.

Thank you for your reply Chris,

Tell me, what is zi men training? I mean, what does zimen mean (zi = ? 自 self? 自然 natural?) (men =? 门door?)?

Thanks again,
Last edited by Haoran on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Haoran on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Instead of looking for TEH ULTIMATE DEADLY technique, I'd stick to practical fighting skills that actually work. Leave the movie/legend stuff alone.

Yeah, my current teacher is Zhang Ziyi. She's currently teaching me flying techniques she used in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Haoran
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 am

middleway wrote:
that happened to me when i was going out with this really slutty blonde bimbo....

Slutty blonde bimbo's are Teh d3dly .... they have the ability to inflict injury hours, days even weeks after the initial contact ... :D

Was it worth it? ;D

Anyway, qi != intention. Intention is intention, qi is qi.

I've not seen "burning palm" (I've no idea what it's really called in Chinese) in bagua, but bagua has its own special palm methods for making people spit blood, etc. from palm strikes that don't look like much :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:55 am

yusuf wrote:i do not know what a 'goth chick' is.. and even the days of blonde bimbos are but a distant memory....

martial drinking good.. ;D

Ah, true, true - distant, but painful memory, it seems ;-)
Martin
Great Old One

Postby chrislomas on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 am

HEy Chris (Lomas that is )

are you in the UK mate?

Very much so. Manchester, if your ever in the area pop in and say hi :-).

As for Zimen (I spell it that way as most of the board do, I personally write Tsu Men) I don't have the characters on me at the moment but 'Zi' would be 'Word/Character' refering to the keywords (summing up the methodology) of the style but is also a pun on the word 'Posion' refering to the point striking emphasis of the style. Men would be 'fingers'. Hence the name often translated as 'Character Fingers Boxing' but also more dramatically 'Poison Fingers Boxing'.
Hope that helps.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby jjy5016 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:48 am

Many years ago when I used to do a lot more qigong and practiced a certain iron palm method I also tried my hand at a healing method I learned.

If I used just a little intent at all the area I massaged would develop black and blue marks but I was successful at relieving the pain. I used it on my players' injuries when I was coaching a softball team for a few years. Some of the players would literally beg me to work on them, which wan't too bad because it was an all female team.

If I used my palms instead of fingertips the black & blue area would be quite large.

My old taiji sifu complained to me once that when I pushed hands with him (soft push hands) that his arms would get black and blue as well.

I asked one of my instructors about it and he said that my intent was too strong and I was putting too much energy into it. Haven't thought about this in a while.

So yes I do believe in it. But as for practicality unless you have someone who can teach the entire practice to you then you only get to a certain level and peak out. I stopped doing the massaging because it drained me.

small John
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:53 am

Zimen = 字門, i.e. "(Chinese) character" "gate, school" (not finger)

John: Very cool - but people didn't mind getting bruised? Didn't that hurt itself?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby hopgarsansau on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:10 am

burning palm in lama is just conditioned heavy hand
hopgarsansau
Mingjing

Postby jjy5016 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 am

edededed wrote:Zimen = 字門, i.e. "(Chinese) character" "gate, school" (not finger)

John: Very cool - but people didn't mind getting bruised? Didn't that hurt itself?

No they didn't mind. The purpose of the massage was to alleviate the pain. Actually it was more of a light touching than a massage now that I think of it. But it was quite a few years and it took a LOT of time and specific training to get to that point.

I guess it didn't impress me that much because I chose another path of training.

I'm sure that many different systems have a similar practice and just don't refer to it as "burning palm"

small John
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:10 am

Interesting. What was that style/method called?
Chris Fleming

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:13 am

'Burning Palm' reminds me of the old Lo-Lei film from the 1970's, 'The Five Fingers of Death'. ::)

Doc ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan