Xing-yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Xing-yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch

Postby wingchun on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:10 pm

1. What are the body connections that both Xing-Yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch share in common?
2. In regards to power generation in what ways is Beng Chuan style punch more powerful than wing chun style punch?
3. What are the details in body connection and punching mechanics of Hsing-yi Beng Chuan that can be used to alter or enhance the knock out power effect of a wing chun punch?
wingchun
Mingjing

Re: Xing-yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:14 pm

I use the latter as an entry technique and finish with a Bengquan-like punch. They honestly don't share much, as far as power-generation is concerned, and are used differently. Think of the Bengquan as being mostly linear and the Lianhuan Chongquan as being mostly circular.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:29 pm

wingchun wrote:1. What are the body connections that both Xing-Yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch share in common?

It's easy to see the big difference in both form training.

1. WC chain punch - move the arm only while body is frozen.
2. XY punch - the moving body with footwork push the punch.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 am

WC chain punch linear, driven by shoulder blade and kinetic linkage from foot upwards, Hsing yi Beng appears linear but force vector is closing/opening[left to right , right to left]. giving resultant angled punch driven by ribs/hips, Look same, different animals
KEND
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 am

wingchun wrote:1. What are the body connections that both Xing-Yi Beng Chuan and wing chun chain punch share in common?

They both use bows (e.g., joints, etc.)

wingchun wrote:2. In regards to power generation in what ways is Beng Chuan style punch more powerful than wing chun style punch?

I don't know of any research that shows it is.

Hendrik Santo's wing chun chain punch uses the kinetic chain (whole body power, torque, etc.) through the seven bows: 1) Foot Arch 2) Ankles, 3) Knees, 4) pelvis, 5) shoulders, 6) Elbows, 7) Wrists making it more powerful than beng chuan.

He explains (long winded) it here. You can skip to 9:28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31CJ7YK35cg&t=9m28s
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:34 pm

One of the main things that differs is the position of the knuckles at the end
It totally changes the mechanics of the whole technique
The two are incompatible
I would say both arts are
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:07 pm

marvin8 wrote:

wingchun wrote:2. In regards to power generation in what ways is Beng Chuan style punch more powerful than wing chun style punch?

Hendrik Santo's wing chun chain punch uses the kinetic chain (whole body power, torque, etc.) through the seven bows: 1) Foot Arch 2) Ankles, 3) Knees, 4) pelvis, 5) shoulders, 6) Elbows, 7) Wrists making it more powerful than beng chuan.

I was utterly unimpressed by that... His punch is stronger because of your little list? Please... You theorise too much.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:19 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:
marvin8 wrote:

I was utterly unimpressed by that... His punch is stronger because of your little list? Please... You theorise too much.

Hendrik's bows list, not mine. I did not opine on Hendrik's skill.

No theory. I posted studies (e.g., javelin throw, boxing, baseball, etc.) that gave facts and data (speed, power and distance measurements) showing the kinetic chain generated the most power.

If you have research counter to these studies, please post them and/or explain your "high level, master" punches.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wingchun on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Can someone who practice Xing-Yi Please describe the bio-mechanical details of how the " frame compression" component of the Xing-Yi punch is done to bounce power up from the ground into the hand or fist?
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby dspyrido on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:04 pm

First problem is WC - which branch or flavour of it? Second problem is XY - which branch or flavour of it? Then it's also the instructors right?

But let's just sweep all that aside and talk generalisations.

- In what has to be the most common WC out there the Yip Man lineage you are to spend a few years focusing on sil lum tao. That is body stationary, feet in in yee jee kim ... pigeon stance and isolate the arms to chain punch....to the head.
- In XY - focus on the harmonies while moving the feet. Hand and foot, knee elbow, hip shoulders etc. Plus the 5-6 bows (depends on school) in order to punch ... the body.

After a few years one has moved onto chum kiu where the stance starts to look eerily like XY except ... it's not. The other has decided to move onto mixing the 5 elements into examples and applications trying to apply what was being taught on day 1.

Now XY is more powerful on a single punch. Why? It starts with simple physics of more mass and goes to conditioning the elastic "bows" to add more the power.

The other tends to machine gun more punches but due to not focusing as much on mobility it is not as connected and not as strong. Knowing this WC attempts to make up for it by trying to throw lots more punches.

Having spent a fair amount of time in both styles I can confidently say - I don't mind hitting a bony part using a WC punch but this is actually is more like fire vs. wood. If I want to hit the soft part of the body the nicest penetration will come from wood or a variation I like is the stepping cross.

In the end I think what is more important is not way the arm moves but the engine that powers it (the body). Then what is vital is delivering the impact to the right spot at the right time.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wingchun on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:37 am

thanks for the reply dspyrido!
What are the differences between the Xing-Yi engine that powers it (the body) compared to the wing chun engine that powers it (the body)?
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:08 am

wingchun wrote:thanks for the reply dspyrido!
What are the differences between the Xing-Yi engine that powers it (the body) compared to the wing chun engine that powers it (the body)?

You have already posted the same OP all over the internet and got a whole lot of answers on that and differences of mechanics. Why are you still writing questions? :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm

The WC punch is down the centerline driven by linkage from foot, sometimes using phoenix fist, you need to condition hands and strengthen knuckles and wrist for maximum effect, resembles Shaolin vertical fist. The Hsing yi punch needs some power to flatten the fascia but mainly depends on shock wave[ generated by closing ribs and hips] to damage the internal organs. I have measured the force of the HY punch and it is much less than the punch described above. That being said the WC punch energy transfer damages the fascia and muscle, possibly penetrating to the organ, the HY punch focuses a shock wave to the organ directly using a fist configuration
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 am

The Wing Chun Chain Punching was a bad joke in the Wing Chun Community, but it seems that it is also a bad joke in the Xing Yi Community as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... wqv-EWXzS8
Yeung
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan