The Taijiquan of Chen Yanxi 陈延禧 (熙)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Taijiquan of Chen Yanxi 陈延禧 (熙)

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 pm

If you think Chinna requires force you haven't been taught it very well
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:08 pm

I am not sure what you mean, maybe you can compare the differences in the use of forces:

Chin na Training Methods and Tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzfaodWOE9M&t=1171s

Individual frat training kit - Tug of War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyBXszCdcs

Qin na is not exactly the same as grab and pull, it sort of stiffen up the wrist to produce the required force to hold on to the opponent.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:41 am

Just because there is strength training for quinna does not mean we use force in application
This is an eagle claw tape
I have trained with hapkido,aikido,akijitsu ,jui jitsu people and the trankadas of FMA
None used undue strength if one technique was not working they simply flowed into another
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:49 am

wayne hansen wrote:Just because there is strength training for quinna does not mean we use force in application

Agreed. Wayne is correct. If you use force/ strength, it means that you don't understand what qinna is about and should look for a better teacher.

Qinna is like cutting up a chicken. Bad qinna is like cutting straight through the bones. You'll need effort.

Good qinna is like cutting through the joints. There' no resistance, so it's effortless.

For qinna, you need to understand anatomy, angles and leverage. If you do, there will be no chance for your opponent to resist so there will be no need to use dumb strength and effort. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Bao wrote:For qinna, you need to understand anatomy, angles and leverage. If you do, there will be no chance for your opponent to resist so there will be no need to use dumb strength and effort. 8-)

You're both right but there are levels as they have different tactics.

Some qinna is as you say ... leverage of strong applied to weak areas. Favours technique, change and sensitivity. Common in the "softer" styles.

Some qinna relies on cavity pressing and joint smashing. Common in the harder styles. Hence conditioning.

All qinna benefits from training both aspects. The best qinna practitioners I've met understood tactics and application but had hands that could rip flesh from bone & conditioned bodies.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:47 am

I do agree that small joint manipulation and pressure point techniques do not require a lot of forces in most cases. But if you compass hard enough you will stiffen up the wrist which becomes vulnerable for being twisted by the opponent with anti-qinna techniques. The grabbing technique in tug-on-war is a good one to guarantee quick release. It looks similar in the more traditional jacket grabbing technique in Judo or Taiji grabbing technique. “Grasp Peacock’s Tail” is a good example of grabbing and pulling but I do not think that fits the definition of Qinna in the context of Chinese Martial Arts.
Yeung
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan