Bagua - Walking the Square - Tom Bisio

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bagua - Walking the Square - Tom Bisio

Postby Bob on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm

https://www.internalartsinternational.c ... -lesson-1/

In all the years of bagua I have watched, never have I seen someone, more or less, publicly begin a discussion about it, let alone teach.

It has been a part of the bagua practice I learned 15 years back and Tom Bisio does an excellent job of illustrating and teaching it.

Unfortunately you have to subscribe to the site but for those who want to expand their knowledge of the internal Arts, it is one of the best sources and worth every penny.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Bagua - Walking the Square - Tom Bisio

Postby robert on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Is that the same as nine palaces?
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 am

Bob wrote:
In all the years of bagua I have watched, never have I seen someone, more or less, publicly begin a discussion about it, let alone teach.

Striking drills done on a square are openly taught in Xie Peiqi/He Jinbao's line of Yin style bagua. They also made a series of videos demonstrating those moves nearly 2 decades ago. Here's a quick example and the square part starts at around 1:50)

In my line of Gao bagua, while we don't necessarily draw a square on the ground and walk around it, there many stepping drills that include elements of the square and triangle.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 am

You are right C.J.W - thanks - I had forgotten about those clips although the square stepping is a bit wider than my or Bisio's practice. I can't remember if the other clips provide instruction.

The instructions that Bisio provides are detailed and diagrammed along with a video demonstrating the walk along with direction change. The video is labeled as 1 so hopefully there will be more to follow.

The late Huang Zhicheng briefly shows this in the center of the circle 8:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1MokxQgi8

I also used this square to start walking on the brick practice.

Robert it is not the same nine palace as I know it but it very well might hold as a practice in some schools.
Last edited by Bob on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:31 am

I learnt a walking the square exercise where it takes 4 steps almost stepping on your toes with each step it is so small
The square is equal to two housebrics
I also learnt a pushing one as part of Raymond chungs walking 4 hands
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:42 am

Bob wrote:Robert it is not the same nine palace as I know it but it very well might hold as a practice in some schools.

That's interesting, thanks.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am

I learned a similar drill from Jason Tsou, this is honestly the first time I've seen the drill done outside the Wutan Baguazhang line.
Last edited by Fa Xing on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 am

Bob wrote:You are right C.J.W - thanks - I had forgotten about those clips although the square stepping is a bit wider than my or Bisio's practice. I can't remember if the other clips provide instruction.

I suppose this probably has a lot to do with body size and fighting style of the masters who passed down the systems. Walking on a small square develops the footwork and body method needed to make quick directional changes and tight evasive movements, which are important attributes for a small guy like Gong Baotien when taking on bigger opponents. Xie Peiqi's line, on the other hand, comes from Men Baozhen, who was 6-foot-4 and powerfully built. So naturally, he would've focused more on larger and more extended movements.

For us, our stepping drills contain many 360-degree turns that require three small consecutive steps -- either bai/ko/bai or ko/bai/ko -- to complete. They are essentially the same as stepping on a small square or triangle.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan