Dao versus Jian

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Dao versus Jian

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:54 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Nice post, Bob.

There's a sort of almost primal fascination with the power and symbolism of the straight sword. One might be tempted to even consider it due to the phallic shape and ability to kill. It unites our two most basic, reptile brain desires in one shiny, ornamented package. It's no wonder that mastery is synonymous with power and Dominion.

There's definitely the argument to be made, as a martial artist, for the particular skills developed and required of jianfa. Much more so than any direct practical use of the weapon in any sort of context outside of controlled sparring between fellow enthusiasts. But I think when you get down to it, the underlying driving motivation for the particular weapon is all of the ways it can be used.

You can just wave a jian around in more ways than a dao, which makes for a more mentally and physically stimulating practice. More subtlety in application and more skills to master.

Rather than consider the direct use of the object or even empty hand movement, I consider what more cumulatively the practice cultivates in my every day extemporaneous being.

So I'm working on the full range, cudgel, dao, dadao, jian, staff, kwandao, spear maybe someday. They're all worthy death dicks to wave around.

I don't really agree with the notion that the Jian can do more things than the Dao. Both can do things that the other can't. Dao requires more Gongfa training to improve core strength, as the power must come from the waist. When pressing with the Dao, where with one hand on the blade or both on the handle, there is a sort of grappling that isn't really found in Jianfa, a bit like half-swording in European Longsword, but without armour, hence more about cutting than thrusting. In my opinion training the Dao has more benefits for improving unarmed fighting than the Jian. Especially arts like Tongbiquan, Baguazhang and Xinyiliuhequan.

You may be familiar with more ways to use the dao than I am. I may be familiar with more ways to use the jian. Hard to say. If you're ever in Austin let's compare notes.

Likewise, if you ever make it this far north, you are welcome to pop by.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan