Taiji bag training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Taiji bag training

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:48 am

CTH Wu is pretty stock standard Wu through his uncle Chen wing Kwong until you get into his circular continuous form
I don't get what you mean by old Wu and yang
His drills are what sets him apart
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 am

wayne hansen wrote:CTH Wu is pretty stock standard Wu through his uncle Chen wing Kwong until you get into his circular continuous form
I don't get what you mean by old Wu and yang

An example of what I mean can probably seen quite clearly if you compare the form of CTH to Ma Yueh Lang and or his Mrs; their slow form.
You can find them easily on youtube. Just the comparison of the respective forms speak for themselves - I think.

I think CTH's performence is more represantitive of the 'old way' than the 'new way'..
And by that I am just demarcating before and after the respective 'standardizing' by YCF and WC Chuan.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 am

I should probably add, it's a generalisation over (standard) performance..
training wise, i believe in various form training modalities.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 pm

I don't need to see them online as I practice both and have trained and seen many practicioners first hand
I still say there is very little differences in the square and circular forms.
It is only when you get into CTH,s third form the circular continuous form is that things change
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:35 pm

I still say there is very little differences in the square and circular forms.

Iirc, the square and round forms are the ways beginners are taught. The third form is just their "form." I don't think it's unusual that CTH's form is different. Whose isn't? Ma Yueh Liang's line from WCC was considered the "orthodox" version. But, aren't there others who do Wu differently?

I'm not arguing, btw. I just don't remember if Eddie Ng's form is like Ma's son in Germany, for ex. They may well be. I just don't know enough to say if CTH's form is really deviant.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Have you seen the third form,the circular continuous form
I have never seen it YouTube
Even though CTH does a few moves in the film of him
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 pm

You Niall, who used to post here would know for sure how it's taught now. I knew Zee Wen --who demonstrates with Ma in his push hands book. Ma's life was recognized as the "official" Wu style in the 80s, when representatives from the various styles were being used for the PRC's publications. However, as you know, there are Wu lineages that weren't based in Shanghai. Eddie Ng (and the late Rock's) line is distinct and, iirc, was centered in Hong Kong. I think they also start beginners with a square form and then move on to a round one, I always thought that the HK long form was pretty much the same as WCC's. But, I know that HK Wu/Ng styles have different exercises that Ma's line.

Anyway, I think this is an example, but I could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2CsU4SvnrM

Here's another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bholy3Ln410

I was looking for some of their other training practices, but here's the square form for those who've not seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4HDIE2JWyI
Last edited by Steve James on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 pm

None of those are the third form
If you looked I think you might find better examples
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:17 am

wayne hansen wrote:None of those are the third form
If you looked I think you might find better examples

That's the thing. I never heard of a "third" form. Iinm, there is a mirror form and a reverse form practiced after learning the square and round forms. But, I always thought that their forms looked pretty much like orthodox Wu. At any rate, CTH wasn't a forms guy. I'd bet he wouldn't be averse to using equipment that didn't exist in the 18th century.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:57 am

This is the difference I'm alluding to, seem like pretty different performances of wu style to me.
I've studied the ma version a bit in the uk through Michael Actons group/ students.

The uk school from CTH, I don't think perform the form quite like CTH does here, as standard - I'm not too clear about that.
Anyway, here's the comparison I'm drawing on:

Last edited by cloudz on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 am

Steve James wrote:using equipment that didn't exist in the 18th century.

just to drag out the thread a lttle more, i wouldnt be so sure of that :) .........On the wiki we can see that boxing(bareknuckle) as an recognised sport was alive and kicking(punching) in britain during the 18th century with up to 18 heavyweght champions recorded during that century, 18 champs even before YLC was born on the other side of the world. Could very well be that one or two or so fans of british boxing saild with the east-india company and introduced the noble art of self defence to the middle kingdom...maybe YLC himself took some time to cross train in boxing 8-)
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Well, do we know that YLC used any equipment? Is there a tradition of using equipment that we can trace back to the origin of the art?
In general, if there was weight-training, it could be similar. For striking, there's the mook jong (padded or not) and hitting ... stuff.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:43 pm

The uk school from CTH, I don't think perform the form quite like CTH does here, as standard - I'm not too clear about that.

Yeah, the way he does it in the vid looks like standard Wu. I tend to think that the differences might be the same as the usual variations, such as in Yang. Though, I am still interested in the "continuous" form that's been mentioned. It might be done in HK, but not in the UK? or vice versa.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I haven't met many who do the Circular Continious Form
It is a closed door form
My teacher CHAU chi Quam learnt it in the 50/60's
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 pm

the thread slip back into taiji forms and away from "taiji apparatus" practice, as it should be if talking taijiquan. All is to be found in the form, which then is to be tested on fellow beings(if one like) but not on bags 8-)
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan