New Taiji teaching method

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: New Taiji teaching method

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 am

If the student actually improves, then he or she might want to do more --if only to keep up interest. The motivation to exercise is not automatic, and learning new things can keep someone interested. Basic standing and stationary exercises are fine, but they're not tcc. Imo, if the point is to use tcc, then the object is to learn tcc. I think looking at the art as simply the mastery of a few movements defeats the point of learning the art. Otoh, that's not to say that the goal is to learn everything. But, doing a complete form (long or short) is rewarding. It gives students something to look forward to.

I tend to think that the movements of the Yang long form, although following the basic principles, get more complex as the form progresses. So, they are even better exercises of mobility and balance than the first few movements. It's not necessary to be able to do the most complex movements in order to do tcc, but they are worth aspiring to. Hey, I am in awe of the Zhaobao people.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby robert on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 am

Bao wrote:A long form has its own advantages for sure. It can help your body to relax on a deeper level amongst other things.

I don't buy it. I was taught Chen style starting with standing and after standing for a few years I was taught seven or eight silk reeling exercises. It was not uncommon for me to do silk reeling continuously for an hour. These were beginner exercises so they were large circles and relatively easy. I think it was easier to relax on a deeper level and focus on the core principle and body requirements than doing a long form.

Bao wrote:But should students really start off their practice with learning a long form?

I don't think so. I like the way I was taught Chen taiji: standing, then silk reeling, forms/applications, and then push hands (so far). From what I've seen Dai family xinyi is similar. From my experience when I learned a long form there were places where you're standing on one leg manipulating jin or doing small circles, areas that were more difficult than drawing a simple circle, and that kept me from getting deeper in the form. Now that I can get through laojia yilu without problems I can get fairly deep and relaxed, but that took me a long time. Maybe that's just me ;)
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby charles on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Steve James wrote:If the student actually improves, then he or she might want to do more --if only to keep up interest.

Some students, sure. But, one has to start somewhere. One can always add to curriculum as students stay around and want more.

Basic standing and stationary exercises are fine, but they're not tcc.

For many of the teachers I've studied with, they are THE core neigong that forms the basis for Taijiquan. YMMV.

Imo, if the point is to use tcc, then the object is to learn tcc.

Sure. What is Taijiquan? People will disagree, but most agree there is some basis on neigong. Without that, it's choreography, not Taijiquan.

I think looking at the art as simply the mastery of a few movements defeats the point of learning the art.

In my experience, most practitioners have learned a large curriculum of stuff - empty hand forms, push hands, long weapons, short weapons, qigong... - but mastered none of it. Most have learned long forms and have little in the way of basic foundational skills. Without mastering the basics one masters none of it. One way of mastering the basics - possibly the most direct way - is to identify and master those basics in simple, isolated movements that, once mastered, form the basis of everything that one does, all of the movements.

But, doing a complete form (long or short) is rewarding. It gives students something to look forward to.

Sure. Depends upon what the individual student wants from his or her practice.

I tend to think that the movements of the Yang long form, although following the basic principles, get more complex as the form progresses.

Aside from the fact that many early moves are repeated later in the form, I disagree. Every movement in the form is complex. If it isn't, it isn't being done right or is being done "superficially".
charles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:29 pm

In my experience, most practitioners have learned a large curriculum of stuff - empty hand forms, push hands, long weapons, short weapons, qigong... - but mastered none of it.

In my experience, few have ""mastered" anything, and those that have consider themselves students who are still learning. I don't believe that mastery is ever a goal. Besides, I disregard the opinions of tcc practitioners toward other tcc practitioners.

Afa basic exercises, they are important in all martial arts. They're the gongfu. There's nothing special about tcc in that respect, and people do basic exercises and learn forms simultaneously.

Well, sure, there are people who know 10 different weapons forms, 13 push hands techniques, short forms, long forms, competition forms, etc.. No, I guess one could say that they haven't mastered all of them. However, imo, I don't believe that someone who's only practiced standing for a year has more ability at anything except standing. Ymmv.

Aside from the fact that many early moves are repeated later in the form, I disagree. Every movement in the form is complex. If it isn't, it isn't being done right or is being done "superficially".

I don't know what you mean by "complete." I'm only referring to what the body is required to do in terms of movement and balance. Doing a kick is more demanding than standing on both legs. The sweep lotus kick is more demanding that single whip. It requires more balance. It's not a question of completeness or perfection (as in symmetry).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

In general, imo, the yang long form variants of tai chi chuan are designed specifically for sedentary office workers. as such, the balance of postures are biased to the left, as most people are right side dominant. without heavy labor this left-right imbalance becomes an issue as one ages. if you start with the sides balanced, as in more advanced martial training, students struggle unnecessarily. As for the original post, teaching postures individually, then showing the connections, i like very much. :) Although I do teach 3 reps on non-dominant side to 2 reps on the dominant.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Yang style

Standing
Shifting weight
Chi gung
Walking no hands
Walking hands
Solo form
Static pushing,structural
One step pushing
Walking 4 hands
Ta lu
San shou solo forms A&B
San shou two man

Pole doing all the above steps
Spear doing all the above steps
Knife doing all the above steps
Sword doing all the above steps

San da (application)
Zhang zhung
Noi gung
Fast combat form(in our school)

No step is superfluous ,all need to be mastered before moving on to the next step

This is how it is in our school others may not find it essential
All these stages were invented for a reason
Some add in other arts and exercises ,that is fine but call it something else not tai chi
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Once you've mastered tcc, what next?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Figure out how to stop Royce
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Yang style

Standing
Shifting weight
Chi gung
Walking no hands
Walking hands
Solo form
Static pushing,structural
One step pushing
Walking 4 hands
Ta lu
San shou solo forms A&B
San shou two man

Pole doing all the above steps
Spear doing all the above steps
Knife doing all the above steps
Sword doing all the above steps

San da (application)
Zhang zhung
Noi gung
Fast combat form(in our school)

No step is superfluous ,all need to be mastered before moving on to the next step

This is how it is in our school others may not find it essential
All these stages were invented for a reason
Some add in other arts and exercises ,that is fine but call it something else not tai chi

is that list a must for "health taiji in the park for "eldery" students" ?
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm

No they can just go for a brisk walk and do some gentle stretching
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:08 am

ok, i take that your suggestion for an " New Taiji teaching method" . noted the headline for the thread just say "taiji" , dropping the "quan" , so you might be correct about your new taiji teaching method
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 am

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:Can you define what your meaning of health benefit is that aligns specifically or
uniquely to taiji ?

- No combat value.
- Help old people to live longer.

If he was not your friend, and you saw this person teaching taiji in the park would you then comment aabot those who have changed the focus of taiji making it non-functional?

Seems a common theme here starting out with the claim that some percentage of taiji teachers don't understand what they're doing, bringing the art down.

Usually it seems to always be about 90% don't know what they're doing. Of course those commenting on this always seem to be within the 10% that do
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 am

windwalker wrote:If he was not your friend, and you saw this person teaching taiji in the park would you then comment aabot those who have changed the focus of taiji making it non-functional?

I like to train combo that involve with "leg skill (sweep, cut, spring, hook, lift, twist, ...)". The foot sweep is the 1st combo drill that I train daily. I have about 20 of these kind drills that I repeat each 20 times everyday. I can get more health benefit from these kind of drill training than from my Taiji form training.

If I teach Taiji, I will emphasize on drills that require "single leg balance".

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:12 am

Here are some Taiji drills that we do in Chang Taiji.

Here is the application of the 1st drill (in the above clip) "楼臂棚 (Lou Bei Peng) - arms raising".

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 am

johnwang wrote:- No combat value.
- Help old people to live longer.

what you've shown apparently has combat value.
the movements are not unique to taiji

My commonet was just reflective of the many, even yourself always looking at things
through a combative lens judging the merits of others practices based on it .

Thought is was kind of odd in a way....

just an observation

hope your friends practice helps people and they enjoy it.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan