Is it fair to ask why a style has not produced a sucessor?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Is it fair to ask why a style has not produced a sucessor?

Postby Appledog on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Is it fair to ask why a style has not produced a sucessor?

Postby everything on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Yes, it's probably one of the most basic questions asked and answered in MMA all the time. Various arts have helped, but baseline is usually a few styles only, probably:

- bjj
- boxing or muay thai
- a standup grappling style, usually "wrestling" (whatever is in NCAA)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 am

producing an sucessor is not a thing anymore
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:11 am

`cause we have to much successors around -toast-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 am

not even they need a sucessor, just good marketing 8)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:05 am

If you look at the beginning of many traditions, when the founder was alive there is usually a lot of debate that they are involved in around completely contrasting opinions and ideas. Once the founder has died that stops, and it all becomes about interpreting what they said. i.e. different people have different opinions on what they really meant.

I think in martial arts, Bruce Lee is a good example of this.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:26 am

I believe that the forms are irrelevant. Were the master's skills passed on to a successor and can that successor use them in whatever chosen format? THAT is the only question of importance. The emphasis on forms is a recent distraction.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:03 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I believe that the forms are irrelevant. Were the master's skills passed on to a successor and can that successor use them in whatever chosen format? THAT is the only question of importance. The emphasis on forms is a recent distraction.

Agree with you 100% on this. No matter how nice that you can perform your form, if you can't use it in fighting, it's meaningless. The issue is if you don't fight in the ring or on the mat, you will have no way to test your skill. One day when you get old, you will end with nothing to remember.

In the new generation, those who train CMA are not interested in fighting. Those who train in fighting have no interest in CMA.

If you are a student, which CMA teacher do you want to learn from, A or B?

A: If you have learned all the 50 forms that I'm going to teach you, you will be my successor.
B: If you have learned X and Y from me, you are qualified to be my successor.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 pm

For me, Beijing24shitaijiquan is the perfect example of why the promise of the art is in the individual practitioner.
It has all the elements of yangsheng and martial elements within its posture, even this wonderful art is showcased in Chang style modified form (template only) per his own dedication and utility.
I know guys who do a Beijing16shitaijiquan but they are the hardiest martial fellows (yes, shuaijiao elements are part of said form) out there! Again, this is not about trophies, gymnastic performance or nandu ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:38 pm

If you own or run a small school, no offense but you are:

- giving little kids some activity to do. 99.9999999% chance they aren't going to be champion MAists just as they won't be Olympic gymnasts or World Cup winners.
- maybe giving some normal people some self defense skill that hopefully will NEVER be tested/needed.
- providing some hobby and health activity.

- everything else such as "successor", you are kidding yourself. Whomever "succeeds" Royce, Fedor, Anderson Silva, isn't going to be an actual linear student of one of those folks. Same with MIchael Jordan, Messi, Steph Curry, Wang Xiangzhai, etc.

DEAD HORSE BEATEN. You're welcome.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm

everything wrote:as "successor", you are kidding yourself. ...

In my system:

GM Chang -> David C. K. Lin -> Norman “Omar” Harvin

David C. K. Lin had won 3 times Taiwan SC tournaments.

David's student Norman “Omar” Harvin has won countless awards, in both national and international tournaments. His most current achievements, all in the open weight divisions are as follows:

- the Ohio State USSA, Shuai Chiao Nationals (2008);
- Austin Texas AAU Shuai Chiao Kung Fu Nationals (2008); and
- Wong Fei Hung Internationals (2008).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ssmck
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:12 pm

where there more wrestling grandmasters than GM Chang in Taiwan in those days ?
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 am

If I could go back in time to when I did Taijiquan and before I injured my left ankle I would totally focus on wrestling and go to Shuaijiao tournaments. That's really what Taijiquan was meant for anyways. Striking is only a small part of the system. A successor should be as good or better than their master and, if someone walks through the door of the school, should be able to prove their worth in the chosen format.

My Master decided to have multiple successors to represent different aspects of his Gongfu. He chose me to represent his swordsmanship, which means that I have a responsibility to not only represent, but also spread his art. I train several days a week and fence at least once a week for several hours so that no anyone walking though that door will be disappointed. I not only seek mastery of everything that he taught me in the context of fencing, but strive to streamline and refine the system so that someone can learn it in the shortest amount of time possible. I also seek to surpass my Master and, with modern training equipment and a less physically demanding lifestyle (more energy to spend on Gongfu), I believe that I absolutely can do just that.

If I get the chance I'd also like to do the same with his staff, double swords, spear etc. It will all depend on whether or not I can have more quality time with him again, like I did in China.

For teachers of traditional martial arts it is absolutely critical to find someone that is willing to put in the time, sweat and pain to learn a whole system and pass it on to the next generation and preserve the knowledge. If the only goal is to win tournaments then a lot will be lost, as no one person can be good enough to excel at all parts of a system, all techniques. A successor will excel at certain parts, but understand and be able to teach others which may be more practical for students with different physical and/or mental characteristics. There are things that my Master is amazing at that I haven't been too great at, but some of my students have had success with. By passing on the whole system I give future generations more choices.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Ronda Rousey's mom won a world championship in judo. She trained her daughter, who won Bronze in Olympic judo, and a UFC title.

Helio Gracie trained Royce. Michael Jordan had kids who played at college level. Etc.

We could say those are successors.

All respect to Royce and Rousey, but they aren't Fedor or Silva. There are successors and there are successors, and I assume OP meant the latter (but could be totally wrong).
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan