360 degree full body rotation roundhouse kick

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

360 degree full body rotation roundhouse kick

Postby johnwang on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 pm

I like this solo drill very much. I like to add in a "spin back fist" after the roundhouse kick. If I drill this 60 times daily, I'll feel great. It's also easy on my knee joint and hip joint. It can maintain my

- single leg balance.
- body flexibility.
- leg strength.
- endurance.

Do you think this drill have great health value? Your thought?

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: 360 degree full body rotation roundhouse kick

Postby northerndevotee on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I can honestly say that this technique improved my martial ability physical and mental health and made me a better person.
After i failed doing it once ruined my back and turned to tai chi due to being unable to continue in the hard style i was doing at the time.
northerndevotee
Santi

Postby cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 am

johnwang wrote:
Do you think this drill have great health value? Your thought?

sure some.
why do we always use "health". what do you mean exactly?
cardio, strength, what ?

What part of health. So firstly one has to figure out if it's the best thing you can do for "x".

I know you John and you like things to hit more than one mark - I get it, sometimes time and practicality dictate.

Really and truly this is a technical drill first and foremost imo. If you want to make it into conditioning you have to up the intensity to get more "health" benefit..
What that does is takeaway a bit from the technical work at some point. The end result can be a halfway house - depending - that is neither great for one or other concern anymore. But much can also depend on experience levels and what exactly one is aiming for.

It sometimes doesn't matter and things can still be mitigated.
So yes, if your standards for health (conditioning) are pretty low, then it's good for health. But you could do better, and probably do already.

Do the roundhouse on heavy bag, would be better for health than in the air. Use the heavy bag for power kicks, fast and hard - training for power. This is the better drill for "health". But obvioulsy you don't have the rotation anymore.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 am

what! well i cant see the video but this is surprising, in the other(heavybag)thread someone where feeling lonely striking the thin air
Trick

Postby Bao on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 am

"Your thought?"

His technique is "so so". Too much foot, too little hip.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 am

cloudz wrote:why do we always use "health". what do you mean exactly?

When people walk, they only exercise their legs. Their upper body are not doing anything. I'm trying to design a set of "Kung Fu walk for health" program that involve with upper body exercise at the same time. Since straight line kick and straight line punch may have issue with the joint, my program will have no straight line movement. It only contains circular movement such as hammer fist, uppercut, spin back fist, 360 degree roundhose kick (not Karate roundhouse kick that you kick out and then pull back), foot sweep, outer hook, inner hook, ....

The easiest one of the "Kung Fu walking for health" may be "4 steps 1 hook punch". But if someone can rotate 360 degree with a roundhouse kick, his balance will be OK.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 pm

a brisk walk is probably one of the healthiest exercises around. all body get a smooth workout externally as well internally. best take a hike in a beautiful and interesting environment :)
Trick

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan