Adhering as a martial sport

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Adhering as a martial sport

Postby Yeung on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I am trying to promote Adhering as a martial sport, and your comments or question will be very helpful in improving this sport:

The gerund adhering has the connotation of to stick, to join, to follow, and to believe. This is used in the same ways as boxing, wrestling, and grappling. Adhering is a unique development in Chinese Martial Arts in making use of the elastic components of the body to control the opponent which is expressed as the stick and follow techniques in Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguaquan, and Yongchunquan (Wing Chun Kung). The strategy of fight to control provided a safe environment for practitioners to determine who is better. From observation, most practitioners of the mentioned martial arts do not focus on the techniques in entering to adhering, as most of them learned pushing hand or sticking hand from a contacted position. The rules are simple, win by any controlled strike, take down, or submission; no score for trade off, no time limit in a restricted area, and disqualification for avoidance or uncontrolled techniques.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Adhering as a martial sport

Postby klonk on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 pm

That sounds fascinating. I'm quite interested in that area of technique, since it provides some unique opportunities in defense. It lets you be a drag upon your opponent's actions. At the same time, you are highly aware of what he is doing. The sense of touch can be more reliable than vision in understanding where the opponent is going.

Will the rules specify that only adhering defense is permitted? I think careful wording would be needed in that case, so that a parry with only momentary contact is not claimed to be stick and follow.

I'm looking forward to seeing what develops! Best wishes with your efforts to promote this.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm

A further question about the rules: Will pushing the other fellow so that he falls down count as a point scored?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Can you make this as simple as:

1. You opponent throws 20 punches at you. you use stick and follow techniques in Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguaquan to deal with it. If none of those 20 punches can land on you, you win that round, otherwise you lose that round.

2. You opponent tries to take you down within 1 minute. you use stick and follow techniques in Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguaquan to deal with it. If he can't take you down within that 1 minute, you win that round, otherwise you lose that round.

3. ...
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Still have no idea why an existing and super popular format doesn't work for whatever purpose this serves.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:35 am

sumo style wrestling would be a good option ?
Trick

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:58 am

to stick, to join, to follow, and to believe

At the moment of trying to stick, the others would know they have no where to go and would change their movement - A familiar technique of Wing Chun "run your hand away". To adhere is more like using one's center to work against the other's center so a big guy has advantage on a small guy. Martial arts is to train a smaller guy to get a bigger guy. A big guy can get a small guy anyway so don't need to train on martial arts. Following is different. There may not have touch, contact, or stick. Just play around with other's center, direction, movement, and even intent.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

The qualities as described definitely seem to me to be like how I strive to practice push hands.

I am leery of making it more sports like because that leads to gamification that requires additional rules and restrictions that are then gamed ad infinitum and eventually you wind up with something new that no longer serves the original purpose of cultivating particular skills.

I'm firmly opposed to the judofication. Cataloging and awarding points to limited techniques strips away so much of the art that happens in between the forms of movements, the blue notes of the art so to speak.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 am

Yeung wrote:I am trying to promote Adhering as a martial sport, and your comments or question will be very helpful in improving this sport:

The gerund adhering has the connotation of to stick, to join, to follow, and to believe. This is used in the same ways as boxing, wrestling, and grappling. Adhering is a unique development in Chinese Martial Arts in making use of the elastic components of the body to control the opponent which is expressed as the stick and follow techniques in Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguaquan, and Yongchunquan (Wing Chun Kung). The strategy of fight to control provided a safe environment for practitioners to determine who is better. From observation, most practitioners of the mentioned martial arts do not focus on the techniques in entering to adhering, as most of them learned pushing hand or sticking hand from a contacted position. The rules are simple, win by any controlled strike, take down, or submission; no score for trade off, no time limit in a restricted area, and disqualification for avoidance or uncontrolled techniques.

Can you clarify?

1. How do you determine when a player is using "elastic components?"

2. What is the definition of "controlled?" 'Adhere" with "elastic components" only? What about grabbing, trapping, etc. with concentric muscles?

3. Regarding "avoidance," does a competitor have to stick and follow after every attack or be disqualified?

Can you give examples (timestamps) of scores and disqualifications in the following wing chun competition?

Wing Chun TV Published on Feb 20, 2012 wrote:Ip Man Cup 2012 - Foshan ( China ) Wing Chun open competition.
Free fight - Wing Chun vs Sanda ( by sanda rules)
Video # 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEH3kzYCEDs
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 pm

The opponent that you are going to deal with may not be another Taiji person. You may have to use your Taiji skill to deal with a boxer, or a wrestler. If you are a Taiji person, you should not just stay within the area of "pushing". You should get into the areas of striking and wrestling.

For example, how do you test "4 oz against 1000 lb principle"?

- I'm going to throw 20 punches at you, if you can apply "4 oz against 1000 lb" in that period of time, you win that round. Otherwise, you lose that round.
- I'm trying to take you down within 1 minute, if you can apply "4 oz against 1000 lb" in that period of time, you win that round. Otherwise, you lose that round.

Now the question is how can you prove that you are only use 4 oz of force to deal with 1000 lb of force?
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Now the question is how can you prove that you are only use 4 oz of force to deal with 1000 lb of force?

Four ounces is just a metaphorical ideal that can't be measured. Moreover, if you used 16 oz to deal with 1000 lbs, you'd see be great. :)

Afa testing, have two people (A + B) hold a single cotton thread. Each one takes turns trying to break the thread or pull it out of the opponent's hand.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Steve James wrote:

Four ounces is just a metaphorical ideal that can't be measured. Moreover, if you used 16 oz to deal with 1000 lbs, you'd see be great. :)

Afa testing, have two people (A + B) hold a single cotton thread. Each one takes turns trying to break the thread or pull it out of the opponent's hand.

Again, the opponent that you are going to deal with may not be another Taiji person. You may have to use your Taiji skill to deal with a boxer, or a wrestler.

This issue also exist in the WC school. A WC guy may only feel comfortable to fight against another WC guy.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Again, the opponent that you are going to deal with may not be another Taiji person. You may have to use your Taiji skill to deal with a boxer, or a wrestler.

For an equal competition, all that matters is that the rules are the same for everyone. If you're saying that a boxer could break the thread easily because his hands are so fast, or that the wrestler could easily pull the string away, that's fine. If "B" can't do it, he loses. If no one can do it, no one will win. That's a different question. I was just suggesting a way to test adhering ability.

Hey, it's possible to compare almost any two people's relative skill at a given task. The only question is how to define "winning" --if it's a competition, and no one says it has to be.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan