Combat Quotes (aerial warfare)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Combat Quotes (aerial warfare)

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Something I have lying around on my computer. Quite a lot of overlap with combatives, IMO.

Once committed to an attack, fly in at full speed. After scoring crippling or disabling hits, I would clear myself and then repeat the process. I never pursued the enemy once they had eluded me. Better to break off and set up again for a new assault. I always began my attacks from full strength, if possible, my ideal flying height being 22,000 ft because at that altitude I could best utilize the performance of my aircraft. Combat flying is based on the slashing attack and rough maneuvering. In combat flying, fancy precision aerobatic work is really not of much use. Instead, it is the rough maneuver which succeeds.
— Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF, aka Karaya One, worlds leading ace, with 352 victories in W.W.II.Jagdgeschwader 52

And I have yet to find one single individual who has attained conspicuous success in bringing down enemy aeroplanes who can be said to be spoiled either by his successes or by the generous congratulations of his comrades. If he were capable of being spoiled he would not have had the character to have won continuous victories, for the smallest amount of vanity is fatal in aeroplane fighting. Self-distrust rather is the quality to which many a pilot owes his protracted existence.
— Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS, 'Fighting the Flying Circus.'

In nearly all cases where machines have been downed, it was during a fight which had been very short, and the successful burst of fire had occurred within the space of a minute after the beginning of actual hostilities.
— Lt. Colonel W. A. 'Billy' Bishop, RAF.

I fly close to my man, aim well and then of course he falls down.
— Captain Oswald Boelcke, probably the world's first ace.

I put my bullets into the target as if I placed them there by hand.
— Capitaine René Paul Fonck, French Air Service, 75 victories W.W.I.

You can have computer sights of anything you like, but I think you have to go to the enemy on the shortest distance and knock him down from point-blank range. You'll get him from in close. At long distance, it's questionable.
— Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.
— Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

See, decide, attack, reverse.
— Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

Fly with the head and not with the muscles. That is the way to long life for a fighter pilot. The fighter pilot who is all muscle and no head will never live long enough for a pension.
— Colonel Willie Bats, GAF, 237 victories, W.W. II

A good fighter pilot, like a good boxer, should have a knockout punch . . . You will find one attack you prefer to all others. Work on it till you can do it to perfection . . . then use it whenever possible.
— Captain Reade Tilley, USAAF

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.
— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
— Nick Lappos, Chief R&D Pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft.

It's just like being in a knife fight in a dirt-floor bar. If you want to fix a fella, the best way to do it is to get behind him and stick him in the back. It's the same in an air fight. If you want to kill that guy, the best thing to do is get around behind him where he can't see you . . . . and shoot him.
— Captain William O'Brian, 357th Fighter Group, USAAF

Victory smiles upon those who anticipate the change in the character of war, not upon those who wait to adapt themselves after the changes occur.
— Giulio Douhet, 'The Command of the Air

Everything I had ever learned about air fighting taught me that the man who is aggressive, who pushes a fight, is the pilot who is successful in combat and who has the best opportunity for surviving battle and coming home.
— Major Robert S. Johnson, USAAF

I think that the most important features of a fighter pilot are aggressiveness and professionalism. They are both needed to achieve the fighter pilot's goal: the highest score within the shortest time, with the least risk to himself and his wingman.
— Colonel Gidi Livni, Israeli Air Force

As a fighter pilot I know from my own experiences how decisive surprise and luck can be for success, which in the long run comes only to the one who combines daring with cool thinking.
— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.

If he is superior then I would go home, for another day that is better.
— Colonel Erich 'Bubi' hartmann, GAF.

It was no picnic despite what anyone might say later . . . . Most of us were pretty scared all the bloody time; you only felt happy when the battle was over and you were on your way home, then you were safe for a bit, anyway.
— Colin Gray, 54 Squadron RAF, W.W.II.

Won't it be nice when all this beastly killing is over, and we can enjoy ourselves and not hurt anyone? I hate this game.
— Captain Albert Ball, RFC, in letters to his father and fiancée. Ball was the first British ace idolized by the public, 44 victories when killed in action. 6 May 1917

Ten of My Rules for Air Fighting
 Wait until you see the whites of his eyes.
Fire short bursts of 1 to 2 seconds and only when your sights are definitely 'ON.'
 Whilst shooting think of nothing else; brace the whole of the body; have both hands on the stick; concentrate on your ring sight.
 Always keep a sharp lookout. "Keep your finger out"!
 Height gives you the initiative.
 Always turn and face the attack.
 Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
 Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
 When diving to attack always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as top guard.
 INITIATIVE, AGGRESSION, AIR DISCIPLINE, and TEAM WORK are words that MEAN something in Air Fighting.
 Go in quickly - Punch Hard - Get out!
— Flight Lieutenant Adolphus G. 'Sailor' Malan, RSAAF, August 1941.

It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
— USAF Manual

:)
Ian

Re: Combat Quotes (aerial warfare)

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Nice. Thanks for posting.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:09 am

Good idea. Here are some of mine:

Sniper motto: "Reach out and touch someone."

My teacher: "With Taiji, I can hurt you very bad. But with Taiji - ha - I can not hurt you too!"

"Precise knowledge is the only true knowledge, and he who does not teach exactly does not teach at all." - Henry Ward Beecher. (Note, you can teach imprecisely in precise ways for precise reasons too ;D )

The Penguin of Death: (Things you need to know) 1) He is strangely attractive because of his enigmatic smile. 2) He can kill you in any 1 of 412 different ways.

"Surprise, mittraillage, évanissement." ("Surprise, machine-gun, vanish"). Maquis proverb, France, WWII.

The real proverb of the SAS, as told me by a long-time veteran, instead of "He Who Dares Wins": "Check, check, and check again."

Sunzi Bingfa, the Art of War: "All warfare is based on deception."

Quote from Wang Shujing: "Hitting another human being is a terrible thing to do. Hitting them, and it not working, is even worse."

...and I really liked "If you´re in a fair fight, you didn´t plan it properly." :)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:23 am

Daniel wrote:Sniper motto: "Reach out and touch someone."

Eerie, but accurate. ;)

I like this one actually. It's applicable to striking, and more informative to me than, say, "plum flower fist" or "cotton fist".

I was taught that hands should be like guided missiles. They can change directions mid-course, and they're only explosive on impact.

"Precise knowledge is the only true knowledge, and he who does not teach exactly does not teach at all." - Henry Ward Beecher.

Too true.

No point training hard if you're training the wrong thing.
Ian

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:29 am

thanks for posting. i passed that on to my dad who was a top gun pilot and some other martial arts friends.
neijia_boxer

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 am

I am still reading your list. Here´s another:

Robert Capa: "A dead photographer is of no use to anyone." A point which he took some time proving, but finally unfortunately did in Indochina in ´57.

D.

Last edited by Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:51 am

"Dont think, Just do!"
french foreign Legion Saying and very relatable to training and real combative encounter. Just do what you need to.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:15 am

...and, well, some of these have combative secrets deeply hidden in them... ;D

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I
may not follow. Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just
f*ck off and leave me alone.

11. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

13. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was
probably worth it.

15. Some days you are the bug; some days you are the windshield.

19. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

23. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

(From "The teachings of Zen", found by a friend of mine.)

Me like. ;D

Oh, and a quote, the source of which I have forgotten, I think by a politician saying to General De Gaulle after WWII:
"My friends don´t agree with my principles."
De Gaulle: "Change your friends."

D.

Last edited by Daniel on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan