Ride horse, tingjin

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Ride horse, tingjin

Postby everything on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm

You have to listen. Stick. Yield. Follow. Etc.

To control a much stronger animal.

Right? Any experts here?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Ride horse, tingjin

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:14 pm

Not an expert, but I can usually stay on top.

I think the horse is using much more ting to understand where the rider is going.

It's rather the poor sort of rider who thinks in terms of controlling the animal, if he thinks of it in the same dictatorial sense we treat a car or motorbike. We are dictators in operating machines because machines have no brains and emotions. To "become one with the machine" means confidence in total control.

A horse, though, knows more about running and jumping than I ever hope to understand. It is what he was born for, it is what he does. I indicate the direction we are to go, thinking more advice would be rude. Down this path. Over that hedge.

At least, that is the ideal. Interspecies communication is murky at best. Horses are trained to particular cues from the rider. Best if a rider understands how those cues are trained, and why horses respond.

I have a theory about why we ride horses not moose. Horses think we are interesting. They will go there, to horseraces or to wars, or pleasant jaunts in the country, just to see what we are up to. Not so far fetched. Dogs like us and coyotes do not.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 pm

they use to show(maybe still do) rodeo bullriding here on cctv5, those riders didn last long
Trick

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Trick wrote:they use to show(maybe still do) rodeo bullriding here on cctv5, those riders didn last long

Right. The bull thinks he is imposed upon, you are not an interesting companion but an annoyance. He's only interested in food and cows.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 am

The man who taught me fu style was a horsewoman
She rode sidesaddle for both dressage and jumps
She got me to hold the bit while she held the rains and explained listening energy in great detail
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:37 am

I like this theory that horses must like us (vs. moose or coyotes).

It seems like each participant is using "ting". I don't know. I've barely ridden. It seems like if you "yield" to a much stronger animal, that should also help your understanding of "yield" in the two human ph contexts. Especially because there is no bullshit in that exchange of information.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:54 am

if anything ones mabu might become strong(er) :) ...as mentioned, there seem to be an interaction between horse and man where both do seem to do equal listening...i mentioned bullriding which seem impossible for man to do, but i came to think how they can be led "easily" by a muzzlering, but then thats maybe an whole different kind of breed ?
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 pm

My fu style teacher was a horse rider
She competed in both jumps and dressage,sidesaddle
One day she handed me the bit and held the reins
She explained riding from a listening and pushing point of view
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 pm

I suppose that when you put it that way, riders are using listening skills, but it is not taught that way, or in those terms; it's talked about more as paying attention to the animal's mood. The cocking of a horse's ear can speak volumes. It's obvious when the horse is just going through the motions, cooperating out of habit, rather than enjoying the ride.

Ting might not be the best description, because you use tingjin in a conflict, but (ideally at least!) riding is cooperative not conflicting.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50 pm

I had a mate did 3 day eventing
He had book on horsemanship based on zen of skiing
He lent it to me it was tai chi all the way
Natural Horsemanship is all listening energy
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

In the bedroom with a lovely lady on top of you -- tinjin at its best.

Why look elsewhere when there's something we can all relate to. ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:45 pm

I have owned a horses for years until I realized I could be driving a GT3 Porsche
for that kind of money. I did 3 day eventing and extensive trail riding.
The horse is the one doing the listening - you have to figure out how to communicate with it.
True as Walter says about the reins and the bit.
The trick is to balance the animal. You steer with the legs not the reins.
I had a real nice Crosby center seat saddle 3 tone chocolate /brown and banana yellow underside. You could sit that thing all day.
roger hao

Postby everything on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:50 pm

so we can't ride a moose, but how about donkeys, mules, llamas, camels, and elephants? is that it?

for some reason it reminds me of this video (baby monkey riding backward on a pig):
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm

You left out Ostrich and Triceratops
roger hao

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Walter here
Bit hard to use your legs when you ride sidesaddle like I mentioned my friend di
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan