Censorship on tai chi sites

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Censorship on tai chi sites

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:34 am

Trick wrote:BKTS is not anything near a boxing cross, or any straight punch/strike.

Trick wrote:the end posture of BKTS is not an strike to the front. that should be common knowledge, its so easily spotted if just having a glance at the whole sequence, and crystal clear if practicing it

Agree! 8-)

cloudz wrote: yea BKTS isn't, but the strike itself, certainly is.
this is common knowledge, anyone with the eyes to see.. can see it.
some experience with throwing crosses or rear hand, might help.

The mechanics in BKTS is not really designed for a straight punch or a straight palm strike. What you want for a cross type of punch is the "energy" or mechanics from "ji", which is straight force from the middle of the body. You have it in Tai Chi as in "step forward, parry and punch." So that is the punch you should start elaborating from if you want to study straight punches, not BKTS. IMHO.

Yes, I have have studied boxing, thai boxing, Sanda and external Shaolin methods. But I am sorry, I don't have the right eyes to see a straight cross in BKTS. How I personally do the mechanics in BKTS is just too different.

The very simple problem with Matt's clip is that it was just a short teaser of a longer clip. All I see is someone who does snap punches (i.e. not cross) using his arms quite independently from the body, no visible Tai Chi mechanics as whole body movement and no particular strict mechanics from a boxing P.O.V. So the simple issue is that there is no explanation on how to punch or why he does what he does. So he could have replied to Wayne's comment saying something like: "Well, the is just a teaser from a longer clip. You will understand it better if you pay up the fee." ;D. Everyone would have understood and respected this.

Matt commented about that he had competed, so I think that what he showed in his clip was something from his own perspective, something that works for him in a sparring and competition environment. And that's fine. Just explaining a bit more about how and why would have put the clip in the right perspective.

...In general, I do agree that much in good boxing is often very close to Tai Chi. ...But still ...anyone with experience and the eyes should be able to spot the differences. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n-4L0DcWc8
Last edited by Bao on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:58 am

What would you say is the closest equivalent to a boxer's "right cross" in tcc?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:32 am

Parry and punch.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 am

Is it a punch? Is it not a punch? ;D

I'd say it's whatever the person doing it thinks he or she is doing. No need to get so binary about it.

The oldest form of this movement Brush Knee Twist Step is found in Chen style where it is called "Walk obliquely and twist step". This is where the Yang style came from. Arguing about the correct interpretation of the Yang style version is a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. It's already a variation.

Here's an application from FZQ, in which he appears to be doing.... a mix of a strike and some grappling ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEuw7TFXSQ

And here are some grappling based applications:

Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:53 am

GrahamB wrote:Here's an application from FZQ, in which he appears to be doing.... a mix of a strike and some grappling ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEuw7TFXSQ

You can combine this leg lift with pressing a spot on the inside of the thigh which is quite painful. Seems like a missed opportunity... ;D ;)
Last edited by Bao on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:38 am

Turn round and chop with fist is very boxing like especially the right chopping fist after the backlist parry
Even the left palm before it could be seen as a straight blast
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Well, in terms of level, the Fair Lady Plays Shuttles movement seems to fit.
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http ... er.jpg&f=1

However, I tend to focus on what the body/torso and legs are doing, not the hands. Hand shape is a choice, not a rule. The leg movement and whether the torso twists or not will determine the similarity to a cross. Imo. Likewise, something similar to a jab would be different.

Edit: I happened to recall the idea of the "five fists" in tcc, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it written down. Anyway, I did a quick search and found this.

Li Tai Chi Five Star Hammering Boxing is based on five major techniques of the famous “five fists’ of Yang style Tai Chi; namely: block and punch, fist under elbow, side punch, drop punch and punch the groin.

https://www.plumpub.com/kaimen/2009/li- ... chi-chuan/

Iinm, "side punch" is Bend Bow to Shoot Tiger.
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http ... er.jpg&f=1
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 pm

wayne hansen wrote:It is not me he is talking too it is all you future customers
What is his name on here just so I know when he is talking to me so I don't upset him again

All I said on his site is

It's western boxing(rather than being tai chi)
And not very good at that(it was obvious he hadn't trained western boxing to any degree and there were better sources to learn that from )

Here is video of Matt striking and doing "tai chi" movements in competition.

Brush knee @ 3:00

Matt Stampe
Published on Jul 5, 2015

Chinese martial arts the Old School way showing application and technique full contact against trained opponent battle of styles and will within the fighting community. Lei Tai is old school way of testing tai chi gong fu. No other way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wL-mc8PmU&t=3m0s

Brush knee @ 1:10

Matt Stampe
Published on Jul 5, 2015

Been doing this for 25 years now and I've seen and done everything. Find the real people here: http://fighters-journey.blogspot.com/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88AM_6x1Lw&t=1m10s
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:07 pm

all taiji striking is done by leading opponent into the strikes. its not taiji striking if try to reach opponent with strikes
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Steve James wrote:
Edit: I happened to recall the idea of the "five fists" in tcc, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it written down. Anyway, I did a quick search and found this.

Well here's an idea of it.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:18 pm

I think the most important thing he says is that the skill is in the application, not the technique. As he points out, there aren't really that many punches in western boxing. But, there are many variations and combinations of the basics.

It's interesting that he didn't mention or demo the double-phoenix fists or the downward punch.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 am

oragami_itto wrote:
Steve James wrote:

Well here's an idea of it.

that guy is on the martial man and adam mizner fake taiji propaganda machine. I've seen the videos of him doing the fake pushing on his students. And I've seen the video of him getting pushed (literally owned) by a taiji teacher in the park in Thailand. He lost face then told everyone the other guy didnt use taiji. He isnt very good. He just has good marketing friends.
Last edited by Rhen on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhen

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 am

And I've seen the video of him getting pushed (literally owned) by a taiji teacher in the park in Thailand. He lost face then told everyone the other guy didnt use taiji. He isnt very good. He just has good marketing friends.

If you've "seen it" why not post it.
So others can see what is claimed.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 am

I would love to see the video
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan