Censorship on tai chi sites

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Censorship on tai chi sites

Postby Appledog on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 am

Appledog wrote:the heel rising up is not an internal technique ...

This has nothing to do with "internal" or external. It's "distance management".

When you use brush knee, you end with bow-arrow stance. If your opponent moves back, you can slide your back foot forward to gain that extra distance. You may end with

- monkey stance (back heel up),
- side cat stance (back toes down), or even
- golden rooster stance (back leg up).

The "distance management" is the general CMA issue. It's above all CMA styles include Taiji. The monkey (or unicorn) stance is a valid CMA stance.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:37 pm

oragami_itto wrote:This has gotten ridiculous.

Do a proper brush knee with both hands, weight shifts, and turns. Compare what that feels like to what Matt is doing in his video. Or even just do the part with the cross side moving forward, but keep the whole body involved.

Do they feel the same? Even remotely similar? To me they feel drastically different, posturally and energetically, no question about it.

Which isn't to say what Matt's doing isn't valid or isn't found within the body of taijiquan, just that I don't think Brush Knee and Twist Step in any way or part expresses it.

And then you talk of lifting heels? How much of a thing can you change and still call it that thing? Why bother when there may be more accurate terms? Double weighting isn't just a physical phenomenon.

“A proper brush knee” sounds quite limited. From one technique one should be able to extrapolate to hundreds. We should be careful to avoid becoming complacent in the comfort of our habits.

“How much of a thing can you change and still call it that thing?” Well, I think that one should be able to extrapolate to using brush knee for pushing, punching, throwing, heel up or down, stationary rear foot or pivoting on the heel, follow step or not, Yang flavor, Chen flavor, Wu flavor, etc. Can’t they all be possible while using Taijiquan principles and all be correct even though they are all different? Is Yang’s brush knee no longer Chen’s side walk & twist step? I do not know – does it matter?
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Well, why bother with the rest of the postures at all, then? Just do brush knee twist step and call it a day, since any kind of movement you can do with a human body can be extrapolated from it, the rest is just redundant.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Everything is a variation of ward off,Roll back,press or withdraw and push
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Everything is a variation of ward off,Roll back,press or withdraw and push

yes, its suprisingly that so many(taiji practitioners?)seem not to see this
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Which is my point exactly. Why call this isolated arm movement brush knee? It could be seen as more fundamental, or another variation, but brush knee does not seem to fit.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Back heel up is various places in the two San shou forms
It is also in the sun style
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Nobody has answered my question yet.

When you use brush knee, if your opponent moves back, your bow-arrow stance brush knee cannot hit him, but your monkey (unicorn) stance brush knee can. Will you slide in your back foot with heel up into monkey (unicorn) stance?

You have already borrowed the counter force from the ground through the back leg. The power is in your momentum. Your back foot no longer need to be on the ground. When the bullet flies out of the gun, the contact between the bullet and the gun is no longer needed.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

We call that "please kick me in the balls" stance.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 pm

oragami_itto wrote:This has gotten ridiculous. . . .

And then you talk of lifting heels? How much of a thing can you change and still call it that thing?
Appledog wrote: If you are lifting up the heel during BKTS you are doing it wrong. I know this always sounds contentious when I break in like this but this isn't an opinion, it's a fact-- and yes I understand what you mean by it being biomechanically required. Nevertheless, and I find this fascinating, where this opinion on Tai Chi about lifting up the heel came from, since it is just wrong.

Compare (a) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/7c/d6 ... 90820f.jpg and (b) http://www.shouyuliang.com/images/newsl ... 1/a5p1.jpg -- note the position of the heel. This is the same basic technique executed in two extremely different ways. . . .

What is being talked about here with the heel rising up is not an internal technique and is being promoted out of the fear that the real way does not "really work". If the "internal" way "really works" then you should not need to lift your heel up off the ground to gain speed, momentum or reach.

Besides Chen Ziqiang, here are more "lifting up the heel" from oragami_itto's sifu Adam Mizner, Feng Zhiqiang and from Chen Village: Chen Jian Qiang, Han Feilong. Are their "lifting heels ridiculous, not tai chi, just wrong and not an internal technique?"

Adam Mizner:

Feng Zhiqiang:

Chen Jian Qiang:

Han Feilong:
Image[/quote]
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Don't worry about all them there is nothing more internal than San shou forms and there is plenty of heel up follow stepping there
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 am

johnwang wrote:Nobody has answered my question yet.

When you use brush knee, if your opponent moves back, your bow-arrow stance brush knee cannot hit him, but your monkey (unicorn) stance brush knee can. Will you slide in your back foot with heel up into monkey (unicorn) stance?

You have already borrowed the counter force from the ground through the back leg. The power is in your momentum. Your back foot no longer need to be on the ground. When the bullet flies out of the gun, the contact between the bullet and the gun is no longer needed.

yours avatar is more BKTS than any of your posted reverse-punch pics of which has absolutely noting to do with BKTS....why so many just seem to see the end postures of the sequences that build up the taiji forms ?? ist as people just go throu an YCF picture-book 8-)
Trick

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 am

I am not sure that I would always agree 100%. But I would agree more close to 100% if you mean that the whole body acts like the bullet and not fist only. What gives the best power depends on mechanics, what kind of power you want to put in, and it depends on when the foot or heel lifts up.

I sincerely doubt that these guys use ground force or know how to put in the whole body when they strike here in this picture.

OT, but it's funny... how people generalise martial artists from different arts...

"These guys practice Karate, they must surely know how to punch hard!"
or
"These guys practice Tai Chi. Tai Chi guys don't know how to punch!"

;D
Last edited by Bao on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:36 am

Marvin, Adam Mizner is not my Sifu. I know accuracy in your statement is not a huge concern, but please do not spread blatant falsehoods.

I asked how much of a thing (bkts) you can change and still call it that thing, and in response you post a bunch of things that are not bkts. Thanks for proving my point.

But it's your practice so you can call wherever you want whatever you like and it makes no nevermind to me. This discussion is dumb.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan