Spears of the Qing Dynasty

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Spears of the Qing Dynasty

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am

Really excellent article:

http://mandarinmansion.com/spears-qing- ... QQAamcPX7g

White Stork Cools Wings?

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Spears of the Qing Dynasty

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 pm

thanks for sharing that web-page
Trick

Postby edededed on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Very interesting history, thanks :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:29 pm

I've met Peter Dekker and I've also purchased a number of antiques from him.

His research is pretty good and he has some top antiques available. Like most things online I also advocate looking at other research and information to complement too. Though I think Peter is an excellent fellow and great scholar trusting in a single source just because it is the most accessible is not always best. I've also seen first hand copies of Qing military catalogues of arms and these give a good insight of weaponry used too. The old catalogues and manuals tend to be hand drawn but clear.

I now have two Qing Dynasty spearheads one of which I bought from Peter and have mounted on a 2.4m hardwood ash shaft. The other I bought at auction in the UK. I've also bought a really nice but very plain Yanmaodao (goose quill sabre) from Peter with an older style lobed guard but with a curved hilt, indicating it may be an earlier Qing Dynasty sabre, maybe a local militia sabre or could be military. And I bought a Nuiweidao (Ox-tail sabre) from Peter which is likely a later Qing dynasty item, these tend to be martial artist sabres and this one is a nice example that had a Chinese character carved in the hilt but is now a little faded I think it was "Ping" and was likely to be the owner's name or maybe the maker. The tip has been thinned significantly maybe from repeated sharpening so could have been for performance only or could have ended up as a training weapon. It has a solid guard and thick blade at the base. I've also bought a Hudeidao (butterfly sword) and a small jian from Peter too. The butterfly sword has a round hilt rather than a half hilt (which would indicate it was part of a pair) and as such would probably have been wielded with a shield (tengpai). This sword has significant edge damage so could have seen some heavy action.

All these add to my small collection of plain but functional antique weapons which I use for my own training. I also picked up a small hand held mace/truncheon in Beijing when I was there in 2016 which has a nice heave garlic bulb bronze head, in the same place I saw a very long lance head but thought I might have trouble getting it back in my luggage.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:49 pm

有錢真好!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan