Taiji finish move development

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Taiji finish move development

Postby greytowhite on Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm

I dunno - my Chen teacher thought all moves in the form were capable of finishing a person. He was 4'10" and very intent on efficient personal protection thanks to his past. The opening move was a pretty nasty head clinch and knee to the head. He always said he hoped he could use his .45 before anything got to that point. He went on from there but most of it had to do with gaining head control, choking, and beating in the head some way or another. My first exposure to bagua the fellow showed me something similar but it seemed more efficient to go to a bad angle than to mostly wait for my opponent.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu May 02, 2019 4:27 pm

C.J.W. wrote:For a (good) Taiji/IMA guy, however, I'm afraid the concept of a finishing move doesn't really exist, since ANY MOVE can potentially be a finishing move.

"What is my finishing move? It's the one I'll knock you down and incapacitate you with, but I don't know what it's going to be yet."

You still have to train your finish moves on heavy bag for your striking art. If you are a right hand person. your right hand may have more knock down power than your left hand have. You may want to set up your right hand punching opportunity than to set up your left hand punching opportunity.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 02, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu May 02, 2019 11:45 pm

when i was a kid there was an jiu jutsu school nearby where i lived. the teacher taught finishing stuff by the use of razor-blades and nails/spikes but also by the way of chokeholds as mentioned in the thread. we kids(boys) tought it was all really cool, but the school had to close since it was ilegal stuff that was being taught. back then (in sweden) it was even said that teching "kung fu" was ilegal business, probably because it was seen not as an sport but an activity to hurt or even finishing people off.....so it was very exiting back then to hear rumors about a guy secretly teaching wing chun a couple of blocks away...finally we could learn how to kill...well not me, i had already joined a karate school instead 8-)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Fri May 03, 2019 12:42 am

wayne hansen wrote:
Overlord wrote:I like 擊地錘 as a finish move as a way to really finish.
But details vary. Don’t punch, it won’t work.

I never quite get why people use Chinese characters on an English site
The next line is also a mystery to me could you elucidate

WH
I usually assume anyone who endeavor perfection of their CMA skill will have their CMA vocabulary back to front by now.
It’s bit like when I went learn Muaythai, I learn how to say eat the first day, simply because it consume so much energy.
It’s mystery because it’s a secret technique.
;D
Overlord

Postby Trick on Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 am

when i moved to china i quickly picked up the names of all kind of foods(eating is a "big thing" here in china). but reading chinese i have not really come around to. a litle bad since i recently was given by my teacher some writings by the founder of 五形通背拳. but i can get my wife to help out with the reading...there is always a way 8-)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 05, 2019 11:32 am

Sure I understand picking up Chinese can be helpful but writing it on an English blog with no English translation is another thing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun May 05, 2019 11:38 am

wayne hansen wrote:Sure I understand picking up Chinese can be helpful but writing it on an English blog with no English translation is another thing

Agree with you 100% there. Which one is more friendly?

- Leg lift vs. Uchi Mata,
- Sing leg vs, Kou,
- Chinese wrestling vs. Shuai Chiao,
- Long fist vs. Chang Chun?
Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 05, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Hold the ball front and back at the end of the Yang form I learnt. is a good finish. it is a neck break.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 am

dont have to go all the way to the end of the form to break/snap a neck. with a little imagination Lu will turn into a neck twist/snap killing technique as such that always work in the movies....
Trick

Postby roger hao on Tue May 07, 2019 4:12 am

It is a mistake to believe that it is easy to finish someone.
People don't like to be finished.
roger hao

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan